Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

jetvancake

@arc.effect

i did. not enough though, wondering how else i can afford it.

and WTF YALE?? @#$@!*$&!!! not cool to mess with people like this.

Mar 4, 11 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
jll3

I got that same email from the USPS about Michigan and figured it couldn't possibly be for a rejection, though no package today, so hopefully tomorrow.

Mar 4, 11 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

please keep us updated, lomas3!

Mar 4, 11 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

I got 15K from GSAPP for the academic year, MSAAD.

I did the math, this still leaves a $400/month student loan payment post graduation, plus undergrad loans. simply living paycheck to paycheck, i project that i'd need 52K annual income for a decent life in NYC--for a ten year student loan payment plan.

i have a good friend at GSAPP now, in the 3rd semester of the MSAAD program. He said to me: I'm tired of hearing people bitch about their finances here. If you can't afford it, don't come! These people remind me of a low-income gangster that buys an escalade with gold rims and then bitches at his wife and kids for running up the heat bill.

p.s. if dante were to write another inferno, certainly these counterfeit gradcafe posters would reside in the innermost circle of hell. I just checked my mailbox without putting on shoes, now my socks are all wet. goldman sachs execs would either reside right next to them, or be the devil himself, most likely the latter.

Mar 4, 11 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

did anyone else notice that yale's website is down?

Site off-line
The site is currently not available due to technical problems. Please try again later. Thank you for your understanding.

Mar 4, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

it would be hell if gmail, grad cafe and archinet are all down.

Mar 4, 11 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

So what's going on with Yale? I'm confused...

Mar 4, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

Re: michigan

Has anyone tried their wolverine account today? Can't get to it on my iPod and I'm not in front of a comp....

Mar 4, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

@aag2022 i logged in, cant find any status updates...

Mar 4, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@pzuro

your friend sounds like an absolute prick with a wildly skewed sense of entitlement. some very qualified applicants can't afford schools like GSAPP, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have the opportunity.

Mar 4, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I'm excited for douchbags like that to take over gsapp. Then I won't feel bad I got rejected. Twice.

Mar 4, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
neverspeaketh

I have no clue what's going on with Yale. I can access my Application Status page but nothing is there. Nothing updated, that is. If this is how Yale is accepting/rejecting applicants this year - what a fucking mess. Not what I would expect from their program.

From the posts on Gradcafe last year, and my understanding about Yale admissions, they first send out emails of congratulations - in the actual email it states if you have been accepted or not. Then, a few days later, for those rejected they send out emails that direct you to the website about a status change. Now, please don't take my word for this, it is just how I have understood it in the until now. I really wasn't expecting them to send anything out until Monday. They sent out last year on March 8th, Monday. So, I assumed March 7th, Monday would make sense.

Sounds like there is a glitch in the system or something went wrong when trying to notify people. Anyhow, good luck to all of you! Personally, my heart is beating out of my chest!

Mar 4, 11 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

another yale result on grad cafe... jesus

Mar 4, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

Yale... just got into the site FINALLY!

I got in!

Mar 4, 11 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

YES!! Yale's back online and IGOTIN!!

A congratulations to all that are getting in and a hanginthere for all waiting for more decisions.

Mar 4, 11 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

it's like 5 pm in the east coast! the work day is OVER. this is such a mess. this is gonna be the longest weekend ever

Mar 4, 11 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

Denied to Columbia and Yale so far. :/

Mar 4, 11 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
soali

You guys should start a results thread soon.

Mar 4, 11 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
therebyfar

I just got into the Yale site after reloading it every five minutes for the last hour and a half I'm FREAKIN' IN! A very nice consolation after getting rejected from Columbia this morning.

Mar 4, 11 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

i have the biggest workload in over a month today and NOTHING is getting done.

well, if i get fired, i dont give a *$#%@ yo! lol.

Mar 4, 11 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Denied at Yale. Very sad, but not all that surprised. I'm excited for all of you that did get in - will be watching the progress on the first year design project.

Mar 4, 11 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

@ mr. minimal

haha, well i think what said prick meant was that it is not very tasteful to publicly whine about your debt. he will graduate with 60K in student loans, for a three semester program, and probably won't be able to afford a mortgage until he's into his 40's. but he doesn't complain. he's weighed the pro's against the cons, in good benjamin franklin fashion, and reached the conclusion that the degree is worth the financial burden, even if it means sacrificing many of the comforts his doctor and lawyer friends will enjoy. this story is ubiquitous. we have to realize that generally, our careers will just be getting started as our friends' are ending. louis kahn didn't start his office until he was 50, and he died 500,000 USD in debt. was it worth it?

i guess what I'm saying is, before we step in line and shuffle towards a financial guillotine, we should be honest with ourselves about it's suicidal nature.

Mar 4, 11 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
neverspeaketh

Rejected at Yale. While I am not too surprised at my personal result, I am very surprised at the manner in which they notified applicants - or the lack of thereof. As Israelias pointed out - its already after 5 on the east coast. Well, I want to congratulate each and everyone of you who were accepted. That is amazing and you should be proud of yourselves!

· 
jll3

Also got rejected from Yale and totally expected it, though I just checked Michigan's website and I got accepted woot! Says scholarship info will be sent with hard copy letter.

· 
Vizious

Hi guys, been reading this post for a long time but just wanted to share my results.

Got rejected from YALE M.Arch1

but I got into Columbia with a 10K scholarship.

Still waiting on the GSD, Berkeley and SCIArc.

Mar 4, 11 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

I am MArch2 by the way... @therebyfar and @jetvancake are you MArch1 or 2?

Mar 4, 11 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

uno

Mar 4, 11 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
LinkOne

In at Yale aswell! Woop.

Anyone got any idea when we'll hear about funding??

Mar 4, 11 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
||||

in at:

columbia (10K scholarship)
sci - arc (funding unknown)

waiting to here from:

ucla (i have a friend who got call yestr. anyone else?)
pratt (why are they taking so damn long?)

Mar 4, 11 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

so far,

in:
Yale (funding unknown)
Columbia (w/ 12k)
Parsons (funding info coming, but david leben said they'd negotiate)

waiting for:

RISD
GSD
MIT

was not expecting id get into anything other than parsons and risd. super excited.

and still not fired.

Mar 4, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

Lost to Yale. Bummed but I'm still celebrating the GSAPP win. I have a good feeling about GSD. Can't wait til those results are announced!

Mar 4, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
therebyfar

I'm M.Arch I as well, and Yale was easily my first choice. Unless it puts me in debt until I die I'll likely to end up there. Major congrats everyone!

Mar 4, 11 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

Great, now it looks like it is going to be another week or two until my next results.

Does anyone know what is going on with UT at Austin? It looks like there have sporadically been three acceptances and one rejection post. They were probably my weakest application so I wouldn't be surprised if I was rejected. According to last year's results, though, it looks like they might drag this out well into April. If you're going to do it, give me the ax now! I'd much prefer it to a slow, drawn out death...

Mar 4, 11 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
CThomas

Yes to YALE, cant believe it! Two in one day! This is a rollercoaster!

Mar 4, 11 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Is it too early to assume that if we didn't receive a phone call from MIT today, that we were not admitted? Last year's results from the grad cafe would seem to indicate so.

I am beginning to hate that website.

Mar 4, 11 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Luthien

yale!!!!!!!!

Mar 4, 11 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

Mtorres when and how did u hear from sci-arc?

Mar 4, 11 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

@jason_sf

i went the open house in november, and took a few notes on notifications. MIT admission notification happens in a number of different ways, depending on the program. M.Arch I mostly calls, at the beginning of the month. From what I gather, there are emails as well for M.Arch I's, which leads me to believe that Nadir only calls those with funding. SMarchs is an entirely different story... each research group evaluates the applications independently and notifies those admitted as they see fit... phone call, email, post, etc. I'm an Arch + Urbanism candidate, so I've got my eye on my email more towards the end of the month.

so, in short, there is still hope.

Mar 4, 11 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

Congrats everyone on getting in!!

One down, Michigan M Arch 2- Rejected.
Sigh.

Mar 5, 11 4:11 am  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

is there any point checking for updated admission status' over the weekend -? i just need someone to tell me to quit hitting refresh otherwise i'm going to do it every 10 min till monday.

Mar 5, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ eeevalynne - I don't think most schools are going to be notifying over the weekend. However, there were a few last year (judging from grad cafe) that notified via email, and then, of course, some people found out via postal service. So, you can probably back off of the refreshing, but if it makes you feel better, do it every 20 minutes instead of 10! :)

Mar 5, 11 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew

just fyi - p'ton hasn't notified anybody yet.

Mar 5, 11 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Alfredo Pimentel

Congrats everyone!

Just got into:

BIArch
Wash U. (MSAAD)
GSAPP (MSAAD)

Rejections so far:
Yale (no surprise there)

Still waiting for other results to trickle in.....

I'll be sure to frantically submit any results on this soon to be 20 or so page thread.

Mar 5, 11 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
fhty

23/f/BS of Arch from Georgia Tech

A year and a half of working in a small well/regarded/published design firm in China.

So far I've gotten into GSAPP for MArch I and wait-listed at Yale.
Waiting on Princeton and GSD, but would be happy to go to Columbia.

How big is the average class size at GSAPP MArch I anyways?

Mar 6, 11 12:51 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

so i JUST got an email from Pratt saying my application was complete and was being sent to my department for a decision... wtf?

Mar 6, 11 11:24 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

Does anyone know if its possible to find out the dates of Open Houses BEFORE you get responses from admissions?

Thanks

Mar 6, 11 11:54 am  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@aag2022

pratt's whole process seems pretty sketchy at this point. i got that email too, at around 5:30 am on a sunday (?).

did you notice that it said to make sure to get your fafsa done by february 1?

and the fact that they have no way to check your application status is just unreasonable.

Mar 6, 11 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

MIT & RISD is calling ppl on a Sunday?!!!

Mar 6, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
p_11_tx

Got a call from RISD....I'm in!!

Woohoo :)

Mar 6, 11 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

when did RISD call you, p_11_tx? just now?

Mar 6, 11 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: