Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

bsh3

yea i did a little ago. the lady said they are a week behind...same excuse. she said early next week. but, let me tell you this, i forgot ucla only offers the 3yr n 1yr programs and rediscovered that when i called. if you look on gradcafe, all the acceptances are for 3 yr n those were in mid-march, which is what i applied to, and the rejections that are coming out right now are for 3 yr also. i'm no sherlock holmes, but i can deduce that i got rejected...USC it is! emailing the acceptance as we speak!

so for all you 3yr m. arch applicants to ucla, i'm assuming if you haven't gotten an acceptance yet, you are probably wait-listed/rejected.

Apr 11, 11 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

yeah, i'm with bsh3. any m.arch I applicants (myself included) who think they might still have a chance at ucla are probably in for a disappointment. i think the best anyone can hope for at this point is a spot on the waitlist, though it seems as if those people might have already been notified as well. i just wish they had the decency to send rejections sooner, so we can all move on.
good luck to all the m.arch II peeps who still haven't heard! 

Apr 11, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

Has ANYONE been accepted to UCLA yet? All I see are M.Arch II rejections!

Apr 12, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

Anyone got decision from USC for Post professional degree (1.5 years) ?

Apr 12, 11 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

For anyone else wait listed at Syracuse - I received an email today from the coordinator letting me know that they would know next week how many spots they have available.  Will keep you posted just in case others have not heard yet.

Apr 13, 11 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

I'm just curious if anyone knows who posted on grad cafe that they just got accepted to Cornell.  If the commenter is on here: Were you pulled off the wait list today, or were you just offered acceptance today with no prior word?

Apr 14, 11 1:17 am  · 
 · 
tbone

Accepted to SCIarc with scholarship. (M.Arch 1)

Rejected from USC and UCLA.  Not sure if UCLA would have ever let me know had I not called and harassed them to find out.  Also could have been my downfall.  I am interested if anyone was accepted to the M.Arch 1 there?  I haven't read every post obviously, but I haven't seen many acceptances.
Apr 14, 11 3:29 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ Maryagnes- Someone got accepted to M.Arch II program in Cornell on 14th April while their deposit deadline is the 15th! No kidding! It's funny both ways- if he/she did not hear from them earlier (because that just gives u a day to decide) and if he/she were pulled off the waitlist,(because they had said they won't be doing so UNTIL the 15th.) There must be some mistake somewhere..I think the person means he/she accepted the OFFER on the 14th...and not received it on that day.

Apr 14, 11 4:51 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

Unless he/she has applied for another session..spring maybe..

Apr 14, 11 4:54 am  · 
 · 
JetSet

@ihatefish87
I didn't hear back from USC until I harassed them... I called for a week straight and no one answered... I emailed everyone I possibly could in one day. On monday night I received my acceptance letter. USC it is for my M.Arch Post-pro

Apr 14, 11 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@Serendipity- patience and persistence bore its fruit then, in your case! Congratulations!:)

Apr 14, 11 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - yeah, it had me a little worried because they told me they wouldn't be looking at the wait list until the week of the 25th, so I was thinking someone had already gotten pulled off the list.  You're probably right that it was a mistake.  Thanks for helping me screw my head on straight again!

Apr 14, 11 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ maryagnes- I rechecked the gradcafe post after posting here. It had a (S11) tag..which perhaps means session of Spring 2011. However, the ironical part is that spring comes BEFORE fall! So eventually the date of acceptance still doesn't make any sense. So I stand by my former assumption/conjecture.

Apr 14, 11 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - good call. 

Where are you headed this fall?  Any concrete idea yet? 

Apr 14, 11 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
tbone

Did anyone get accepted to sciarc?  I'm just curious who will be attending with me this fall...

Apr 15, 11 12:58 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ maryagnes- I'm headed towards USC this fall...pretty much made up my mind. They're giving a 80% scholarship on my tuition fee, proving yet again how generous they are with funding! Can't risk waiting for Cornell, although it would've been a dream to do M.Arch there! Besides, they seem to be having half the world kept on their wait list! Where are you off to?

Apr 15, 11 8:00 am  · 
 · 
NYer

Just turned down Penn dual with $$...could not reconcile the overall cost and the 4 years out of the job market...part-time MBA here I come. Toughest decision I've ever had to make.

Apr 15, 11 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

That may be the most depressing post of the thread.

Apr 15, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

Sorry NYer - tough decision.

Apr 16, 11 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

anyone pulled off from Cornell wait list yet? Or heard anything about it?

Apr 17, 11 3:40 am  · 
 · 
f.r.e.d.

@ihatefish87

I spoke to them last week and they said that some may be hearing back this coming week but it will most likely be the week of the 25th.

Apr 17, 11 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ f.r.e.d- Thanks for the info!

Apr 18, 11 5:38 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 and f.r.e.d - they also told me that they probably wouldn't be looking at the list until the week of the 25th.  It sure would be nice to hear back sooner though, wouldn't it?

Apr 18, 11 11:57 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - Oh, and I'm not quite sure where I'm off to yet.  RPI starts next month, and I know my husband is certainly hoping that I get pulled from the wait list so that I don't have to leave him and my babies (two boys: 5 & 7) here in CA while I go ahead and start for the summer.  I'm hoping for the same thing, but of course, I also want to be pulled from that wait list just because that's what I want in the first place.  We're all crossing our fingers here at my house.  Otherwise, no idea...not yet, at least.

Apr 18, 11 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

so who among us has to take calculus and/or physics this summer? raises hand
should be interesting.

Apr 18, 11 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
tbone

I already took Calculus last fall, but am taking Physics right now.  If anyone is interested, BYU has pretty much the only independent/distance study general college physics course in the world.  Here's the link.  I just began it, think it is going to be pretty easy.  If you are working full time, I think this is the best way to go.http://ce.byu.edu/is/site/courses/description.cfm?subject=IS_PHYSICS_AND_ASTRONOMY&course=orion_10057301
I don't work for BYU, nor have I ever gone there, just found this by searching online and thought I would pass it on!

Apr 18, 11 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

I'm not sure BYU is where you want to be learning anything scientific. How can a physics class be worth a damn without a lab component? And why would it being 'easy' be a good thing? If I'm going to spend $500+ and a summer on a course, I'd like to learn something, not just get a credit and move on.

Apr 19, 11 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
israelias

University of Phoenix is good too. 7 week course; you never meet with a proctor; you have weekly online submissions; and daily correspendence with other students in a chat-room-like classroom. 

http://www.phoenix.edu/

University of North Dakota is another one and cheaper. They give you up to 9 months to finish a course. You can, of course, finish it as quickly as you need to. They suggest doing 3 sessions a week.

http://distance.und.edu/

must say though, GSAPP wins cool points for their honor code re prereqs.

Apr 19, 11 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

anyone else still waiting for UCLA?

Apr 19, 11 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

FWIW, you won't be learning anything immediately applicable in those introductory physics/ calculus courses.

In these courses, much more emphasis is given to teaching you the process of how to identify given constraints, how to select and apply simple technical/ physical concepts given those constraints, and how to execute those concepts in an accurate manner.

Chances are unless you have been living under a rock for your entire life, you are going to already understand most of the core concepts. Do not take them to learn specific concepts, take them to learn how to think and how to approach a technical problem.

Edit 1: From an accreditation standpoint, you are infinitely better off going to a local community college or taking online classes through a respected university than from a for-profit university like phoenix.

Edit 2: Physics labs are not like chemistry labs. Unless you have a hard time visualizing what is happening, you can learn it without a lab. With that said, the lab component can really reinforce some concepts that you learn during lectures.

Apr 19, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@ psjp

it seemed like a few rejections trickled in last week, but i think a lot of us are still waiting.  i had pretty much given up hope on ucla, but i can't figure out why they haven't sent out a mass rejection yet. they can't possibly still be reviewing applicants, can they? have there been any more acceptances since the initial ones sent out over a month ago?

Apr 19, 11 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@Token AE

I completely agree; I just meant in a general way, if you're going to do something, you may as well do it right (and potentially gain something from it) rather than trying to find the path of least resistance.

I can totally understand taking prerequisite classes like these at a community college because they'd be cheaper and the content wouldn't be too much different at that level. But seeking out the easiest/laziest way to get a credit doesn't seem like a very good way to start an academic program (especially one as intellectually rigorous as the M.Arch).

Apr 19, 11 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
tbone

@mr. minimal:

First let me say that I promise no one has ever used the word "lazy" to describe me.  Have you ever taken an independent study course?  It is not the "path of least resistance" as you put it.  You don't have a teacher, so you have to teach yourself everything.  It takes a lot more time and effort than taking a class on campus.  I stated that I found it easy so far because I have taken physics (in high school, 8 years ago) and after the first few chapters I am not lost yet, so I am pretty happy that I have managed to retain some info after not using it for so long.  Hence, easy.

My situation began by looking for classes anywhere in the LA area for this summer that did not conflict with SCI-Arc's M+M that begins July 18th, M-F, 9-6.  Any on-campus physics class that fit my schedule for the summer didn't exist, so I went to the internet.  I found the BYU class and asked the admissions director at SCI-Arc if that would be fine, he said it was, I signed up.  I thought there may be others in this forum in a similar situation and I just wanted to pass on the wealth to those who may need it.  

As for what you said about not trusting BYU for learning anything scientific...  Really?  Come on, that is just stupid.  And it's physics, it's not like they would be dealing with teaching evolution or something.  It's a good University and it teaches straight out of a college physics book.  Perhaps you should check your facts sir.

Apr 19, 11 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

@tbone,

Yeah, the tone of what i was saying looks worse in text than i realized at the time. Sorry man, I wasn't trying to attack you. I've just been running into a lot of people lately who are looking for the lazy way out of fulfilling a requirement, I didn't specifically mean that I think you're lazy.

I do disagree about an independent study necessarily taking more time and effort than a classroom course. I also disagree with your appraisal of BYU (for a number of reasons), but I'm okay just leaving it at that.

Apr 20, 11 12:32 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Just got pulled off Cornell's wait list today!  Yippee!  Ithaca, here I come...

Apr 20, 11 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
f.r.e.d.

Congrats maryagnes, I heard back today as well! I'm so happy! I'm going to visit the campus tomorrow.

Apr 20, 11 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
adityaghosh13

Just got financial aid at Cornell...

Apr 21, 11 4:35 am  · 
 · 
Arfaei

Has anyone heard from michigan? Anyone pulled from their waitlist?

Between sci-arc and Pratt I chose Pratt.must pay the pratt deposit money before may 1st.
I do not know is it worth waiting for Umich?

If I get pulled from the waitlist that would be a very tough decision.

Apr 21, 11 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ maryagnes &  f.r.e.d- Congrats!Fruits of  patient are indeed sweet, eh?:)

Btw, what's their financial aid scenario like, heard anything yet?

Apr 21, 11 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - thanks!  I am so glad I waited.  I got offered a pretty sweet funding package, so that made me even happier.  Not that I would have turned them down anyway since they were always my top choice, but they certainly made it so that I wouldn't second-guess my decision! 

Aside from being happy about getting in, I'm also happy to finally know where I'm going.  I have a family of my own, so it's a big relief for them, too.  Now we can finally make concrete moving plans.

Congratulations to the others pulled from the wait list as well. 

@ f.r.e.d. and addyg85 - 3 year or 2 year?  I'm 3 yr., so will either of you be joining me?

Apr 21, 11 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

how much longer is ucla going to make us wait? this is getting ridiculous.

Apr 21, 11 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
f.r.e.d.

The financial aid I received from Cornell is substantial and I am very grateful. I actually just returned from visiting the campus (8 hours in the car, I'm exhausted) but it was very much worth it. I was blown away with the campus and Milstein Hall is looking great, it's massive, much bigger than I expected. I got a chance to tour the building even though it was under construction. The top level is an open concept studio space with views that are unreal. There is a 270-person auditorium in the bottom levels, exhibition space, review space, interior connections to both Sibley Hall and Rand Hall, and flex space underneath a giant concrete dome. So much more than I expected!

The students were really welcoming and the staff was great. Pictures do not do Cornell justice, if you're considering it, trust me it's absolutely beautiful. I'm used to being in a big city but Ithaca, (regardless of what anyone says) has an awesome charm to it and I cannot wait to start in September!

@maryagnes - I am there for the full 3.5 years, so excited!

Apr 21, 11 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
adityaghosh13

@maryagnes, neither, one year M Arch II. Starting at NY in about a month.

Apr 22, 11 12:19 am  · 
 · 
CS_B

I am also applying this year! 

Looking forward to sharing good information with you guys.

Apr 22, 11 2:11 am  · 
 · 
chyinadoll

I've emailed and called UCLA a few times to find out about my status (M Arch 1 - 3 yrs) and they're radio silent.  It would be nice to know one way or another so I can either pay or withdraw from the Jump Start program this summer.  

Congrats to everyone who was accepted this fall at their school of choice!!

Apr 22, 11 9:45 am  · 
 · 
tbone

@chyinadolla:

UCLA sucks.  I only got my rejection answer after calling them repeatedly and finally telling them I had to give my answer to another school the following monday (which ended up not being true, they just had the date wrong)  Anyway, they emailed me my rejection the next day.  Otherwise I feel I would be in your shoes as well.  Totally unprofessional.

Apr 22, 11 11:06 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@f.r.e.d. - Thank you for the update on Milstein Hall - I am very excited to see it.  They were also very generous to me - much, much more than I received from the other schools, and way more than I would have expected.  I visited a couple of years back when they were just beginning construction, but you are right about the campus and the town.  I absolutely fell in love.  And yes, everyone was and has been very accomodating and friendly.  I guess I'll see you in studio...

Apr 22, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
own1221

@ maryagnes &  f.r.e.d- Congrats!

I'll also be at Cornell, but for the M.Arch II for the fall and spring semesters! 

Apr 22, 11 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
ukchomper

still waiting to hear from upenn's wait-list, but as for now in at syracuse... hopefully they will be at prompt as cornell seems to be with theirs for other people on here.. 

Apr 23, 11 1:13 am  · 
 · 
adityaghosh13

@own1221, Will be in the same course as you. Really early though, the NYC semester.

Apr 23, 11 3:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: