awaiting_deletion

Nov 21, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Not minimal.

Mar 21, 18 9:25 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Scarpa, I presume . . .

Who wrote a book called "Rich and Strange" . . . ?  That's "strange" in a good way, not in a yucky sort of way (Dame Edna).

Nov 21, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

. . . Constructivism married to graphic design, of exotic yet earthy material ?  

Was this travertine door meant to blend with its wall rather than stand out, as a wood or metal one would ?

Nov 21, 15 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yes Scarpa.

"Constructivism married to graphic design" NO.  I would say it's understanding materials, but I didn't design it.  was Scarpa carving the materials on paper.  I think if you call it Graphic Design it kinds of looses it essennce?

Nov 21, 15 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes -- Scarpa deserves a better description than mine.  The differences between him and an earlier architect he apparently admired -- an American whose work might also be called "rich and strange" -- would make a good research paper (as a college acquaintance used to say).

Any architect's work could be said to have an element of graphic appeal, I guess; we call it "composition" ?

Nov 21, 15 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

composition.

Nov 23, 15 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

This thread makes me breathe more deeply.

I'm bumping it today for reasons that will become more clear soon.

Mar 21, 18 9:11 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Good bump.

Mar 21, 18 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like the dirtyness of that drawing.  Needs coffee and guinness stains.

Mar 21, 18 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Wow crazy getting a notification about this. It's been so long I forgot I had an account. Nice thread to bump. 

Mar 21, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

I honestly miss the days when this kind of thread was what took up most of our time on Archinect. 

Hi phuyake!

Mar 21, 18 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

So do I, Donna.  Having fallen off the radar, I'm no longer in touch.  Wasn't there a not-too-radical reworking of the site, a while back ?  I guess that's when I lost it . . .

I'm as fond as ever of minimalism.  I'm working on a lamp.  4" paper study model:

Mar 22, 18 12:09 am  · 
 · 

Via this post

Mar 22, 18 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Love that, Nam.  I like the way the vertical panel returns.  Could almost be two materials -- wood and stone, maybe ?  

You see that reveal a lot nowadays.  Nice way for two elements to (almost) meet.  Requires just as much craft as a tight joint, I'd say.

Mar 22, 18 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: