Archinect
anchor

Best software to create a simple website

biripbirip

Need to create a website for my upstart office...Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use software? I don't need animations or anything flashy. I had some dabbles in Dreamwaver a long time ago, but apart from that I have no web design experience. Thanks.

Oct 1, 09 6:57 pm
dia

Rationalist had a nice bit of free software you could use... Creates very nce, simple sites.

Oct 1, 09 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
biripbirip

diabase, umhh..pardon the ignorance...but "rationalist"? was dat?

Oct 1, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

das me, of course! I've used Indexhibit for mine, but have lately seen Wordpress used to greater effect. Both are downloadable database systems that let you get by with a bare minimum of coding (yes, Dreamweaver is good for that part) and mostly just type in the text you want and upload images.

Oct 1, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

We are using Wordpress for our mid level client sites. For super simple sites, we'll jsut use Dreamweaver and some hand coding. For advanced html based sites it'll be all hand coded.

I'd strongly suggest hiring a pro, but if you have no cash you have to do what you have to do.

Oct 1, 09 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

I think basic html is underrated, so I'd recommend notepad and copious use of 'view source'

Oct 2, 09 9:10 am  · 
 · 
biripbirip

das rationalist, thanks a lot. indexhibit looks pretty good...especially since it seems i could start with something relatively simple and then with time add more features, etc.

Oct 2, 09 9:26 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

i agree with RLL: all you really need is notepad (though Dreamweaver is pretty nice)

Oct 2, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

indexhibit
it is very easy. not terribly flexible but... very easy.

Oct 2, 09 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

i'll third notepad.

Oct 2, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
druf

I used the software that Yahoo gives you free if they web host for you. If you can use powerpoint, you could figure this out pretty easily. You can do a decent straightforward website with it.

Oct 3, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 
switch

I'll second, third and fourth indexhibit.org

Oct 3, 09 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

godaddy.com's hosting is cheap and good.

Oct 3, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
cacti

i used dreamweaver and tutvid.com for really good step by step tutorials.. no experience necessary.

Oct 5, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 
TenaciousArchitect2b

Try this : http://www.wix.com/

Good luck

Oct 6, 09 9:31 am  · 
 · 
biripbirip

fluxbound, i am with media temple now. they have great customer service but are pricey. i have been getting loads of junk mail lately...although this might have nothing to do with the hosting company (or it may...not very tech-literate on that realm), but since i am actually paying for an add-on service that suppose to help in filtering junkmail, well i expect no junk at all....anyway, i've heard about godaddy before...how's their customer service?

tenaciousA, i am giving it a go with indexhibit for now...but thanks for the wix.com link...looks good. i will also have a look into it.

thanks to all for the feedback. it has been very useful.

Oct 6, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
philippe bodart

Hi,I found a site where CSS writers can win $1,000
WebriQ, an online web content management software is soon to launch its Template contest. The company will award the best template design but also the best designed E-commerce site and the site with the most original content. The start of the contest will be on November 13th, but you can get a sneak preview of it already on http://contest.webriq.com

Nov 16, 09 2:40 am  · 
 · 
binary

domain mask to a blog.... just to get the ball rolling until you can get a full site up...

Nov 16, 09 2:46 am  · 
 · 
rza

Code it yourself in notepad. Freedom!

Nov 16, 09 9:32 am  · 
 · 
knock out
http://www.squarespace.com

Love it, simple, customizable CSS and tons of standard plug-ins like flash gallery, ftp, secure login and more. Cheap too!

Nov 17, 09 2:48 am  · 
 · 
ckmca

I agree with knock out. Squarespace is amazing.

It is super easy, support is astonishingly fast the product works flawlessly. Because all of the editing is done online you dont need dreamweaver or any other editor.

I remade my site this summer and am very happy with the results.

www.ckmca.com

Dec 18, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
joeuk

Webflow.

Oct 30, 17 4:51 am  · 
 · 
FlameAura

Cargocollective

https://2.cargocollective.com/

Really nice templates & it's free

Oct 30, 17 5:33 am  · 
 · 

Is  Squarespace better than Adobe Muse?

Oct 30, 17 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

I have the same question. I have an adobe subscription and get Muse included. I want an option that allows me to create different categories such as academic works, professional work, writings and traveling photos. I wont my works distributed under those categories accordingly. I have not been able to find out either Squarespace or Muse allow you to do that. I don't want just dump my works in a website.

The same problem.

Oct 30, 17 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Good afternoon, I created my website using WIX.com. If done right and not using a template you can create a nice website with some cool simple features. The web interface is easy to use and they are constantly adding new features. Here's my site https://www.dmc-a.com/

Apr 17, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
birder

Try Wix or Wordpress

Feb 1, 19 7:01 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Squarespace is ok if you can live with their templates and typefaces.  We hit a wall pretty quickly when we wanted to customize.  If I had it to do over again, I would explore Wix and Wordpress more fully before committing to Squarespace.   

On the plus side, Squarespace is quite affordable and their GSuite setup for managing our firm's email accounts runs well about 95% of the time.

Feb 1, 19 10:10 am  · 
 · 
THE BAKER

SQUARESPACE.  It’s easy and intuitive

Aug 17, 19 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
oldwhitehouse

I built two websites using wix. Very good product. Easy to use tools and templates.99 bucks a year. The free version looks less professional imo. Godaddy is good too but when I tried it 3 or 4 years ago their audio and video plug ins didn't work well on a mobile device so I went with wix.  Very pleased. I'm a carpenter and an audio guy, no webmaster, but this is one site I built using wix    www.moniquecoppola.com  

Aug 29, 19 8:05 am  · 
 · 
IndianaVisions

I would recommend WordPress open source to develop the website.

Aug 29, 19 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Dokuser

Learn Python. It's relatively easy to get used to and can be used beyond web design.

Sep 29, 19 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: