Archinect
anchor

How much is my sanity worth?

David Brent

I need a job. I just got a very rare offer from a talented architect, but he is a Major League asshole. How much on top of my normal salary expectations should I ask for to put up with his bullshit.

Sep 25, 09 10:57 pm
nonneutral

I think I would have the opposite problem. I did an internship for an architect who did boring client-oriented suburban commercial and industrial buildings, and although he had a pleasant personality I don't think I would have been content to spend my days working on his faceless and insignificant projects.
Consider yourself lucky to be receiving A. a job, and B. a job that will look good and maybe give you some interesting experiences.

Sep 26, 09 10:14 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

How do you know the guy's an asshole - do you have direct knowledge of that or are you going by hearsay?

And, in this market, why do you think a "bullshit premium" is even in the cards?

Sep 26, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I hope you're not using your real name on this forum!

Sep 26, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Quick google search: "David Brent is a fictional white-collar office middle-manager and the principal character in the BBC television mockumentary The Office," let's hope that's where the name came from!

As for the job, just be very, very, very thankful you have an opportunity, and, on top of that, from a talented architect. Also be glad no one is concluding you are a Major League asshole, or you wouldn't be getting an offer at all.

Sep 26, 09 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

I would estimate your sanity to be worth $0 on the open market.

Sep 26, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

stop complaining and just use his talent to get a good resume and show him who the real asshole is when you leave, taking some of his clients to start your own firm.

Sep 26, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
David Brent

I've got pretty good intelligence from a former employee and two people who had him for a studio. There is remarkable consistency when it comes to reports of tantrums, lying, a generally unpleasant attitude. Those accounts make him sound seriously mentally ill. His attitude was on full display during the interview. Also he has a reputation around town as being a jerk, though unsubstantiated.

Sep 26, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
David Brent

I should add that I would be his only employee. Perhaps as an alternate I could charm my way back into my old job at Wernham Hogg. ;)

Sep 26, 09 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

David:

As a general rule, whores don't get to be too selective about who they work for. But, they do get to set their own price. Of course, if there's a cheaper whore down the street, the more expensive whore may not get hired at all.

I don't mean to be flippant, but if you're only doing this for the money you may not have much ability to pick the working conditions you prefer. And, in this economy, you may not have much influence over the price either. This is the quintessential "buyers market".

Based on what you write, it doesn't sound to me like this is something you ought to pursue unless you are just desparate for an income.

Good luck.

Sep 26, 09 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL rationalist!

Sep 26, 09 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you're not going to work for that douche jeff lewis, on bravo, who flips houses are you?

Sep 26, 09 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

unless you have a slam dunk plan b, i'd go for it.

but what i find a bit suspicious is that usually professors hand pick their employees from their best students, especially if you are his only employee. sounds like this guy doesn't even know you, and you don't know him. weird.

Sep 26, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

yeah rationalist has it about right. unless you're something pretty special, you don't have a lot of negotiation power. you're either willing to work for the guy or you aren't.

Sep 27, 09 1:52 am  · 
 · 
trace™

and there's no shortage of talented and willing out there right now

Sep 27, 09 8:39 am  · 
 · 
David Brent

OK....Alright this is what I need to hear. There is not that much of a choice here really. I need to feed my family. Enjoying a job is a luxury in this market.

Sep 27, 09 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Nominate Gareth for the job, he can take it.

Sep 27, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

you have to establish your own value

Sep 27, 09 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Good to hear you're seeing reason. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for what your services are worth, just that the notion of a "bullshit premium" doesn't exactly fly these days. Plus, if questioned why you asked for so much, it would be very difficult to justify.

Sep 27, 09 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman

Please follow up with some anecdotes after you start.

Oct 1, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: