Archinect
anchor

The importance of work experience pre MArch...

panzanator

I graduated in 2005, took a few years off to travel, explore, just started taking some more fine art classes. I have worked mostly in retail management to pay the bills. I plan on applying to some MArch programs this summer after I take a summer program at UIC. Worried about my lack of experience. My degree was in env. sci, so I gather from common sense and the amount of job aps ive sent out, it would have been difficult for me to get into any architecture/urban design posistion anyhow. I am certain not everyone has impressive internships and job experience when applying for the MArch, BUT many do it seems.

anyone else feeling this?

May 5, 09 5:36 pm
BabbleBeautiful

Where do you gather that many non-arch applications have architecture experience? It's not very common. M.Arch admissions committees strive to get people with a diverse background that can somehow use their background and relate it to what they think is Architecture.

May 6, 09 12:08 am  · 
 · 
scottaway

Arch work experience isn't very important if you're coming from a non-arch undergrad degree. It's nice to have, but far from necessary.

My impression is that admissions committees do want to see evidence that you're serious about architecture - and that you know what you're getting yourself in to - but doing a summer intro-to-architecture program should demonstrate that.

For better or worse, having a portfolio that makes a good impression in 30 seconds of flipping through is more important for admissions than what you've been doing with yourself for the past few years.

May 6, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

I'm sitting pretty with my MArch, in the spring of my career, the looks of a young Humphrey Bogart, and guess what, still no work.

Forget architecture, get into medicine or law, even better dentistry.

May 6, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: