Archinect
anchor

Energy-generating windows

EAS445

Hi, I am a student at the University of Pennsylvania, currently enrolled in an Engineering Entrepreneurship class. For our term project, my team is planning to develop a (hypothetical) product – high efficiency windows coated with a dye with PV cells that will generate energy. For our research, we are conducting a conjoint analysis for this product, and it would greatly benefit us if green consumers could fill out the survey for our product.

Here is the link for the consumer survey for those who would be interested in purchasing the product for homes, etc.
http://www.upennengrent.com/~pennseas/Solar_Window_Con/SolWlogn.htm

Here is the link for the corporate survey for those affiliated with architecture companies, window installers, or companies interested in purchasing the product.
http://www.upennengrent.com/~pennseas/Solar_Window_Corp/Corplogn.htm

Thank you!

Apr 28, 09 12:30 pm
treekiller

it's a good idea that is already available from Schott Glass. the problem with the current product is the very low efficiency ~4% (compared to ~12-18% for regular pv panels) and high cost that are not justified by the low efficiency.

Drop me a note if you have anymore questions.

TreeKiller
RLA LEED-AP
MLA/MArch, UPenn '05

Apr 28, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

your survey is annoying with the endless random choices that don't reflect the current technology or methods of solar panel financing. the arbitrary shading co-efficients dont' seem tied to the energy/return. The costs are not indexed to the typical residential PV installation costs or the cost of window replacement.

Apr 28, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

"the problem with the current product is the very low efficiency...and high cost that are not justified by the low efficiency."

Which, to be fair, can at some point be said of ALL new "green" technologies at some point in their development.

Apr 28, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
24-7tecture

“An average sized skyscraper has about 29,000 square feet of window space which would equate to 725 average sized windows. This base of 725 usable windows covering 193,750 square feet was used to calculate both the initial cost and the power generation in this survey.”

Does this account for solar orientation of the windows? Not all windows face the sun.

Maybe you should invent "a dye for PV cells that will generate energy" to use on existing buildings and not just windows but all surfaces.

Apr 28, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin Saks

Man, what an annoying survey. I honestly thought it was broken! Your results will reflect this, as people will just click randomly thinking it is not working!

Apr 28, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
camhard

I haven't done the survey or anything, and I'm sure you are aware, but such products do exist and are being used. Off the top of my head: Suntech makes solar panel/windows, and there are a number off companies 'printing' solar panels (i.e. they have the die, so theoretically it could even be painted on, the issue I believe is protecting it; it is currently being printed onto a surface, then covered with glass).

Apr 30, 09 2:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: