Archinect
anchor

Unravelling stair problems

Monolith

Hi all, if you can please excuse my innocent (!) naivety being a first year student:

I'm having trouble trying to solve a stair problem. I have a rise parallel to a house of 5000mm (descending a sloping site). I understand a landing must feature every x number of stairs (in UK) to break up the transition but don't really know how to work this out. I've perused the net and found nothing that really helps me work out how to progress.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 25, 09 12:43 pm
Apurimac

In New York City, we typically put a 36" (or approx 1000mm) landing every 10 steps.

Apr 25, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

isn't it @ 12' vertically in IBC?

i think @ 5000mm (16', roughly) it would be good to have a landing @ halfway point @ 2500mm (8')

Apr 25, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
empea

if it's for public use both mid-landing and main landing will have to be 1200 mm or more deep.

Apr 27, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
empea

that is, if the stair turns 180 deg, which i now upon reading the post again realize it might not. but anyway, for when you make one that does.

Apr 27, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what is a mm?

Apr 27, 09 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
empea

it's something people used to use back when they still felt the need to relate measuring to abstract quantities rather than to their bodies. it's approximately 5/127 of an inch.

Apr 27, 09 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

depends on size, but in japan a landing is required for vertical rise of 4 meters though the number changes depending on project size/type. a landing at 2500 sounds reasonable. can't recall for sure, but shouldn't it say explicitly in part K code?

Apr 27, 09 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
parapet

You're in school! You don't need no stinkin landings!

Apr 28, 09 12:51 am  · 
 · 

of course you do.

i hear zaha hadid was very big on landings when she was at the AA. Which was a good thing cuz when she got work 25 years later she was like totally prepared.

Apr 28, 09 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Here's the answer:

In the uk you can have up 15 steps (16 in Wales) of straight flight stairs without a landing on the condition that the stair is less that 1000mm wide and riser/treads of 184/250mm. Anything more than any of those categories requires a landing

Apr 28, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: