Archinect
anchor

decking on pavers

Liav

Hi all. I'm doing a very small deck project, on a rooftop patio. One of the things we'd like to do is put wooden decking in -- currently it's stone pavers. Because of the small size (12' x 12') and the access (through the living space), the easiest solution seems to be to place the floating deck right on the current pavers. I'm planning on using 2 x 4 framing, 1" decking.

One of the things I'm still trying to figure out is how to elevate the 2x4s slightly off the decking. Can anyone recommend a very slender pedestal system -- something like the Bison Deck supports, but able to hold 2x4s? Or should I just specify use of plastic shims?

The other thing I'm still tying to nail down is a Forestry Stewardship Council certified decking or lumber supplier, preferably with stock local to Ontario or the North Eastern US. We're in Toronto.

Any recommendations on these two issues, or suggestions about the project in general would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Liav.

Apr 16, 09 2:18 am
holz.box

can you just run 2x4 sleepers on the pavers?

fsc? try home depot

Apr 16, 09 2:41 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

check these out:

http://www.handydeck.com/flat-roof-decks.html

Apr 16, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Liav,

Since this is a rooftop patio, I assume the existing pavers are already on pedestals. A few issues you should consider:

1. Roof warranty. You should make sure the weight and assembly you're proposing doesn't nullify the roof warranty. If this is not an issue, you're pretty lucky.

2. Access to roofing membrane for maintenance and in emergencies. If ever there is a roof leak it would be much more difficult to access the membrane. You'd need to remove the wood decking then remove the pavers. I'd explain this to the owner.

Why not just remove the existing pavers and build up the wood decking? Seems not so difficult, especially considering the small size of the deck.

Apr 16, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
binary

just make 4x4 or 4x8 box frames and lay them onto of the pavers. might be able to rotolok them together (if rotolocks can take the weather..or bolts)... this way you can pull them off if needed. also make mouse hole type notches to allow for drainage if needed. use treated lumber(if needed) for the frames and make sure the chemicals won't stain the pavers and drainage system

Apr 16, 09 11:30 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

remove the pavers. install new protection boards, then new sleepers. then build your deck.

the weight issue is significant, so is the maintenance and warrrenty. ask a roofer first before doing anything.

Apr 16, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Liav

Thanks for the comments. I will look into the existing pavers.

"...make sure the chemicals won't stain the pavers and drainage system"

cryzko: is that something the manufacturer provides a guarantee on?

L

Apr 16, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: