Archinect
anchor

Employment....Employment

+i

interview yesterday was sort of weird- and in my opinion unprofessional- for a few reasons:
1- they called my references BEFORE the interview. WHAT?! not that my references are anything bad, they're not, they're great... but it's very odd to me for a potential employer to call my references before i've even interviewed with them. what if i decided to cancel the interview? just seems completely bizarre to me.

2- they asked me, in the interview, how many people i would be adding for health insurance. number 1 this seems illegal- they are, in a roundabout way, asking me if i'm married with kids. number 2, i understand it's a small firm, and YES I UNDERSTAND THE VIEW OF THE EMPLOYER (my dad owns 5 businesses) and yes i know health insurance is expensive for small businesses, but you never ask that question.

3- i have a certain question i ask the employer in every interview, to see their response. it's not a crazy question, but it gives me a lot of insight into the firm by their answer alone. the way they answered was really weird, and then they flat out told me they let three people go when the economy went bad not because they HAD to do a reduction in force, but because they didn't want those particular employees anymore. WHAT?!

4- if you look at someone's portfolio, you can pretty much tell if they know the software programs they say they do. i've been doing revit for five years, i'm an expert in indesign, illustrator, 3dmax, etc. they had their equivalent of a "software expert" come into my interview to ask me a few questions just to see if i really knew the software. needless to say, i was insulted, but looked past that and just answered the questions.

the interview went well, i am just really REALLY REALLY hoping to hear back from interview #1. i felt they were a great fit.

Jun 25, 10 10:48 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

mind if i ask what was that certain question you ask?

i had a few of my own and when they couldn't make up their mind as to the answer in my mind A red flag of danger sounded off.

Jun 25, 10 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
archie

+i:

- I have occasionally called a reference before the interview, especially if I know the reference personally. I have also had people call me about former employees before the interview. Sometimes I do this even before I call the person to set up an interview. Some people have strange resumes, and you don't want to rule them out right away if a reference can make them stand out. If you don't want someone to call your references first, then don't give them until you are in the interview. Otherwise, expect that they may check you out prior to the interview. I ask references what they would change or improve about the person. It gives me some additional insight during the interview.

- You can tell the person that you offer insurance for the employee themselves, and if they need insurance for dependents, then it can be negotiated as part of the salary, but is not a standard benefit. The prospective employee can then say nothing, say that the insurance for just them is fine, or offer up that the would like to include dependents as part of the negotiation. You can be married with children and not add them to the insurance.

- I cannot tell if someone's portfolio work is really theirs, therefore how could I tell if they know the software? especially if you are looking at school projects that were done as a group. I have had the experience of interviewing two different people who showed me photos and drawings of the exact same particular part of a local award winning project, and told me they were responsible for it. I happened to know the contractor, and asked who really did the design, and was told it was neither of the two interviewees, it was the principal and another employee. why were you insulted? Should they assume that every person who interviews is 100% truthful? That is why people check references, licenses, degrees, etc. Some people lie, unfortunately. and anyway, maybe they just asked you questions to see how testy and easily insulted you are.

Jun 25, 10 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

my S.O is an engineer and was required to perform calcs on the spot during an interview despite a degree and experience. i do agree thought that looking for an arch job has gotten increasingly degrading. it sounds like they've had some bad experiences with former employees/interviewees but that's no excuse for airing dirty laundry. kind of a red flag when an employee OR potential hire engages in any disparaging remarks.

Jun 25, 10 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

*employer OR potential hire

Jun 25, 10 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
+i

Even though I was insulted, and saw a great deal of what I felt was un-professionalism, I never let on I felt that way in my responses. And never would. I also NEVER EVER speak badly about any former employer of mine. I always speak in a positive light- and when asked why I'm changing firms, it is always about something I am pursuing in my career as a change- never the firm itself.

As for portfolios- it isn't just the projects themselves that let on someone's software expertise. It is the portfolio presentation, as well as the projects, and even - in my case- you can look up a particular project online to verify the software it was designed in as well as who the designer was (me). This is all information I make available in my resume and portfolio. I would venture that if someone took the time in advance to talk to my references they might would look into that as well.

I have had this conversation recently with a fellow colleague who discovered many firms in her area have stopped offering health insurance to employees (hiring on "contract-basis" so that they are not required to offer insurance). Is this seriously what our profession has come to??! We go to school for 5, 6, 7 years and NO HEALTH INSURANCE when we graduate??? That's a shame. Not only that - but if that becomes a serious negotiating factor in my employment I might reconsider that firm.

All this to say- yes not everyone is truthful on a resume or interview. But every single firm I've worked at has had a 90-day probationary period. If someone is going to lie, they're going to lie, but you won't know for sure what they are like until you're actually working with them. They would know the first day if I didn't know Revit, or InDesign, or 3dMax, etc....

Jun 25, 10 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
+i

DisplacedArchitect- I sent you a mssg

Jun 25, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

+i - I sent you a reply

Jun 25, 10 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I wish the firm I used to work for had checked the references of the guy they hired to be the principal in charge of the branch office I was at. I found out he lied about his creds after meeting some of his old co-workers at an industry function. He claimed to be the head designer on a very large prominent job. According to his old co-workers, his role was QA on the docs and submittal reviewer guy. But hey, if you are a smooth talker, you can fool most anyone.

Jun 26, 10 10:18 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

...so, I was minding my own business, installing some hardi-plank. Out of the blue >>>Rrrringgggg...goes the phone:

phone: "Hello Mr. MysteryMan?
mm: "Who wants to know?" <<<probably another bill collector done got my cel #< frak!>>

phone: You wanna job? In Abu-Dhaab?
mm: "Weylll, I dunno. I'm pretty busy."

phone: Can we fly you up to NY to interview?
mm: <<<Do I still have a suit?>> "It just so happens, that I can make it next week...."

...so, I went, interviewed, tried to stay in NY (but could barely get cabfare, so didn't push it. I've heard about how guys like me end up w/ signs that rad "will do Design Development for food"). So I head home.

NExt Day:
I was minding my own business, painting said hardi-plank. Out of the blue >>>Rrrringgggg...goes the phone:

phone: "Hello Mr. MysteryMan?
mm: "Who wants to know?" <<<definitely a bill collector....who else could it be?!>>

phone: (One of My ex-Bosses - a good one is calling) "Yo, Mysterman, Ya wanna Job?
mm: <<<HELL NO, I don't want no job, I'm getting in shape w/ the physical labor, lotsa free time + getting a great farmer's tan?>>

"I'll check my schedule...."

So, after being in the mode of carpenter/ handy-man, driving my Fred Sanford pickup truck & enjoying life, what'd I do....yup, I'm starrting work for Gensler this week.

Gawd just won't let me live my happily Slack-ful life. Dangit! Now I've gotta wear something other than 'whatever's not in the hamper', shave & do all that krap I hate to do.

Moral of the story: Don't look for work, it'll find yer axx on its own.

Jun 27, 10 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

i got my last interview that way, someone recommended me.
So Mystery man, i see the tales of the boomerang office continue.
personally i cant even imagine going back to work for the same office over and over layoff after layoff.

Jun 27, 10 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I can't imagine going to an office everyday. Thankfully, this job is mostly on-the-road. And it is interesting how you use the term 'boomerang'. They seem to use that a lot @ 'The BigRed G'. Maybe you've been there before?

Anyway, even though I am not used to a 'real job', they seem to be a lot differen (in a good way)t than all of the others I've seen & worked with.

Jun 27, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

no way ill never work for Gensler, ive heard quite a bit about it, from former workers who also went back to it. Here in Chicago anyway its known as the "boomerang" office. I do know that the founder was one of the advocates petitioning for Interior designers to be considered professionals, and to have their own licensing exam.

Jun 27, 10 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
.ai

I found a job in Korea... If you have a masters degree and good credentials they are hiring in Asia - My employer provides free housing (more light and much newer than my old apt in NYC) and pay is really reasonable. Pretty crazy hours, but if you work under a licensed architect you can have the hours for IDP...

Jun 28, 10 5:04 am  · 
 · 
+i

that's a great story- mysteryman, haha. i've thought about what if i went back to work for my old firm. in a different capacity, maybe. who knows. but great story + good luck!

Jun 28, 10 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Chris Campomanes

I was laid off from BBG, approximately when the layoffs layoffs thread started. And am now happy to read the interviews and jobs people here in this thread have been getting. I cannot wait to find a better job.

This job found me, through a recruiter that handled government accounts. The initial paperwork was sent outaround April 2009. I went in for the interview and it went pretty well. Nothing exceptional in comparison to other interviews, but I did see the boss smile when he heard me say "lab reports" when faced with a question about quality inspection. After about a month with nothing, the recruiter finally admitted the contract was cancelled. Frustrated I slacked around for a bit before getting back to looking for work...3 months later they call and tell me the contract finally went thru and we can start at X date.

Now, I am employed. I've been working under the construction manager and we do rehab engineering work. It is AWFUL. I'm grateful to be employed, yes, but the nature of the job and the work environment is actually doing me harm.

The work ethic/environment is harmful: people come to the office to sleep and bill for overtime that night. Then they dump the tasks on me the next morning (I'm a consultant). While everyone else enjoys blatantly watching the world cup at their desktops (with the contractors and subs), consultants have to be out in the field to argue with foremen and ironworkers regardless of the weather. This is everyday-snowstorm or heatwave. There are no benefits, and we are forced on certain days not to come to work (and not get paid for that day).

I cannot wait to find a better job(an architecture job). Our profession sucks right now. I can accept exploitation under a good office in exchange for growth, but not under people who have nothing to give for my future as a professional.

Jun 28, 10 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

I'm new here but I'll post my current status.

Graduated in May 09' with a 4yr BS in arch. Had 2 interviews but no luck landing a job. Took a non-arch job that pays really well last October. Currently looking to get back in the field but haven’t had much luck.

I did however find a local architect that I do some contract work with on occasion. Only bad thing is the work is sparse and I can go over a month with nothing. Also I recently did a contract assignment with a commercial assessment company. Depending on how the "pilot" project goes I could get a lot more contract work.

Ideally I would like to get out of my current field and get back into arch full-time. Only thing is, if I leave my current job most likely I will take a $5k to 10k pay cut :(

I work in DC.

Jun 29, 10 10:21 am  · 
 · 
urbanDC

Quentin...since you're in DC I can give you some advice based upon my knowledge of the market. Stay in your current field for at least another year. The profession is still very shaky. Yes, there are some firms that have brought on a few folks recently, or rehired a few of those that they laid off last year. However, most of these assignments are contract (read: no benefits, no long-term stability) and awarded to those with mulit-year experience in specific project types.

Since you have a steady paycheck, keep yourself on the sidelines until the market gets better. You won't worry constantly about getting laid off and you are currently (I assume) developing professional skills and contacts that will aid you in architecture more than you think (a lot of the profession is managing workloads, consultants, etc). You'll be able to get back in the field once this storm clears and firms shouldn't hold your alternative experience against you. Hope that this helps.

Jun 29, 10 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

Urban, yea I'm def going to stay here till I find something solid. I've looked into a few fed jobs too. I already have a secruity clerance so Im going to try to ues that to my advantage. Waiting to here back from an Arlington Co gov job and a fed job in DC. Both jobs seem stable and pay around or more than $50k :)

I really dont see that many job posting at arch firms. So I try to look at other companies that need arch services. Applied for a Jacobs job today. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

And my current job is uncertain at the moment. Layoffs are spreading. So I'm trying my best to find something else before its too late.

Jun 30, 10 11:13 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

quick update on my last interview, got a call was told basically that i was overqualified. So didn't work out.

Jul 2, 10 2:33 am  · 
 · 
+i

Displaced- sorry to hear. at least they didn't leave you hanging and actually called you back to let you know.

my 2nd interview was this morning. i arrived 15min early, and the interview began 1hr later. it went well though- and i was told i would hear back with a decision by this afternoon.

Jul 2, 10 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
l0sts0ul

just landed a full time job! pretty much a project manager working for 7.25/Hr... no benefits.

I need them IDP hours...

I know I am better off working at McDonalds...

Jul 2, 10 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I guess congrats on the job, but $7.25 is deplorable at any level in the office, let alone a Project Manager. I made more than that at my first Internship and I didn't know AutoCAD. Heck, I made more than that working at Target in High School.

Jul 2, 10 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'll just add that this is exactly why I remain on unemployment... so far it pays better than an office job and I get to work on my own stuff.

Jul 2, 10 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

and we now see how the system works...... good luck ..... but figure out how to look out of the field for work...

Jul 2, 10 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

holz's new office job pays better than unemployment...

and it's in the field, so that's a plus.

Jul 3, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 
+i

got an offer yesterday from firm #2. benefits, good money (less than what i was asking for but not by much). I think I'm going to accept, but not before I call firm #1 on Tuesday and see what my status is there. I'd much rather work at that firm, but can't afford to not accept this offer.

so there ya go. +i about to be gainfully employed and off unemployment after almost 8 months.

Jul 3, 10 8:23 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

man, do IDP hours even count if you're on contract and getting paid fucking 7.25 an hour?

Jul 3, 10 8:44 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

Contratulations +i!

call the other company but do it soon because from what economic people are saying we are about to go for another round of a bad economy.

Jul 3, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

8 months... that's not so bad. It will be one year to the date for me on Tuesday. I wonder if my lack of attendance at the office 4th of July BBQ had something to do with it. Hmm....

Jul 3, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
+i

IDP hours are ridiculous. and 7.25?! are you going into debt to work for this place?

@ DA- yes i've heard.
@CC- i figured it would be a year before i got a job. i'm grateful it didn't turn out that way for me. are you on the east coast?

Jul 3, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
binary

interview on tuesday for position doing dwgs, but not in the arch field...we'll see what they are about

Jul 3, 10 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

finally got an offer last week, and am thrilled after essentially a year and a half looking. i mean, beyond thrilled. i had actually written this firm off-did two interviews with them back in june, then....nothing. kept following up every few weeks and they finally called me back for another interview last week. it's not even a contract job. ft, with benefits. in chicago. so there's hope!

Nov 22, 10 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

congrats prairie school drop out!

Nov 22, 10 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

had an interview this morning, with an interesting engineering firm, they are interested in hiring an architect, or architect intern with a lot of experience, thats me, the manager asked me to quickly draw him a wall section with a panel system, and i took out my note pad a marker and knocked it out it really impressed the hell out of them, and not to mention my credentials were impressive too, but they are still going to interview more people, we will see what happens, that was my second interview this week, the first one was with an arch. office, that doesn't want to pay taxes so they want me to work for them as a contracted employee, which according to the IRS there is no such thing you are either an employee or you are an independent contractor anyways hope the second office hires me, good luck and congratulations Prairie School Drop Out.

Nov 22, 10 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
'Maximus

I had a great interview, where I was one of two people hand picked to be interviewed. He pretty much said I had the job in the interview, but we hadn't resolved the salary during the interview. I was asking too much at first, but told him it was negotiable and told him to make an offer. He said he would think about it and would make his decision and call back later THAT AFTERNOON. I cancelled my plans THAT AFTERNOON just to hang out by the phone awaiting his precious call. That was a few months ago. Never heard from him. I happen to know they ended up not hiring anyone because I heard thru the grapevine. But that is pretty unprofessional in my opinion. I don't treat people like that. I sent him a follow up e-mail to thank him for the interview and gave him my references. At least he could have responded to my e-mail with a note that said he decided not to hire at this time. Professional. Polite. Respectful. I look for these qualities in an employer.

Dec 3, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
CMNDCTRL

sorry, Maximus. this seems to be going around right now.

when it is hard like it is, it is a shame professional courtesy goes by the wayside. but not all people are like that.

good luck to you.

Dec 3, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I have an interview today, does anyone want me to convey any messages to the people that didn't get fired for whatever reason? any last minute advise? at my last interview they wanted to know my "process", i said well working for other people "I don't design the owner does, and after that napkin sketch is done I draw a readable accurate construction documents from that napkin sketch any questions?" next I said " you just tell me what you need to be drawn show me your parameters, and I'll make it happen", "im pretty good with computers if you have a new program you would like me to use give me a few days and I will be an expert at it". pretty co cky sob huh?

Dec 3, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

My current favorite interview question that I have gotten asked more than once lately:

"So, tell me why you don't have a job already?"

Dec 3, 10 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

thats a pretty dumb question considering the great recession we have going

Dec 3, 10 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Right?!

Dec 3, 10 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Just to give you guys an update the interview went very well, with minimal awkward moments, like when I was told it was a contract job, knowing that it is an office full of mostly interior designers, I can't believe the guy actually said "well we don't know if you would make it and thats why we do the contract position"
I was thinking " are you kidding me? you have an office full of interior decorators and you don't know if some one with a Barch, and tons of construction experience, can keep up with interior designers? you got to be shitting me.

Dec 4, 10 2:00 am  · 
 · 
binary

don't worry... most firms dont think outside of the box when they hire.....its always a catch 22

Dec 4, 10 3:02 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

I hope I'm not out of line by saying that there was a small part of me that felt some anger, because here we are in a great architecture depression, with 50% architects and interns unemployed, and these guys have an office full of nothing but interior designers taking the place of architects and architect interns, doing our job i mean.

Dec 4, 10 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
dali7114

I am a 2010 MArch grad who did some temporary work in Chicago with SOM and recently secured a permanent position with an architecture office in NYC. Persistence is the key. I am now a firm believer in, "it's who you know." This mantra pans out more than not.

Dec 4, 10 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Congratulations dali7114,
how many people at som Chicago are still there? last year they let go of about 200 people, in Chicago.

wish me luck i have another interview this thursday

Dec 5, 10 5:37 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

"its who you know" well yes it has always been the best way to get a job, after all Architecture is a pretty small community, but this great recession decimated my entire network.

I think for me anyways, at the beginning it was "who I knew", after years of experience, it changed to "what I knew", then "how well do i know", to "I know quite a bit" to "I want to know more" now I know enough to help out young interns "what do you want to know I can help" now I'm at the stage where I just need to get some funding so I can take those licensing exams so i can do my own thing.

Dec 5, 10 5:48 am  · 
 · 
beekay31

Nah, it's still "who you know" now more than ever. Every hiring manager has a friend out of work.

Dec 7, 10 4:40 am  · 
 · 
remus + romulus

Started today at reputable firm in Madrid Spain. It's been since March 2009 that I have worked in an arch studio, back in the states. Granted, this is a paid internship that I got through my master's program here in Madrid but hey, it's something. Maybe I'll get to continue full time in the summer. One can hope.

Dec 9, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I suppose after a year and a half hiatus I may as well tell my story.

Graduated on a rainy saturday in May in New York and got laid off that Monday. This was 2009. I saw the writing on the wall and my boss and I parted on good terms, besides I'd been out for a few weeks finishing off my thesis.

So I hang out in my apartment in Brooklyn for a month and a half 'till my last month's rent expired, said "screw private firms, Imma work for the Gu'ment" and headed back to ATL to shack up with my folks to pursue a career with the U.S. Navy's Civil Engineer Corps. Meanwhile I applied for a job with the GSA, former studiomate landed it, I didn't.

I meet with a Navy Officer recruiter, bug out at the physical fitness requirements and decide to spend six months getting in shape before applying. Six months turns into nine, but I'm fit as a fiddle so I apply and wait to hear back from the selection board.

Navy rejection No. 1 lands on my voicemail a month after application. Fuck it, I haven't come this far to come home empty handed, I'll reapply for the next board in October, 6 months away.

While I wait, I pick up a shit job with Kroger, meet some fun people, but swap out for another slightly less shitty job with a tool and party rental warehouse accross the street from the aforementioned Kroger.

I work at party rental place for a couple months and it was the first real "manual labor job" I've ever had. I come home in pain everday, life generally sucks. I still have hope for the Navy though so I reapply.

Meet a customer at party rental warehouse who does marketing consulting for architects, we shoot the shit and he hands me a posting off the AIA Atlanta job board. The lead's a bit stale, but the office is right down the road from the party rental place and within three miles of my house so I shoot them my resume and don't hear back for a couple of weeks.

I get a call from the firm I applied to, guy interviews me briefly over the phone, we hit it off, he asks for references, and I clear it with some former bosses for them to chat with this guy.

Wake up the next day, Navy rejection No. 2 is in my email inbox, but I'm feeling fine because like dating the process gets easier with each rejection.

It's my day off, so I spend it doing leg work for potential career changes if this architecture thing doesn't work out and wait to hear back from the architect I was on the phone with the day before. Sometime that afternoon I get a phone call, "When would be a good time for you to come in and interview?" "Well tonight actually, my next day is next Tuesday, a week from now." "Ok then, come on down."

I meet the architect and we sit down and have a marathon three hour interview. He likes to talk but so do I and I haven't talked shop like this in ages. We part ways sometime around 8 p.m. and he says he'll let me know in the next couple days.

Next day, phone rings while I'm at work, and I'm back in the architecture game working at a small firm doing mostly retail renovations.

Long story, but to me the moral is the strongest thing you can put on your resume is a current job, even if it's a shitty one. Well, that and solicit every single person you meet for an architecture job because that customer you help out just might be a potential client, a potential boss or may know somebody who could be.

Dec 9, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: