Archinect
anchor

texture mapping/rendering

suwatch

dear rhino + vray experts,

i'm attempting to render hardwood floor and would like to achieve results similar to this rendering done by shop for 290 mulberry:

http://www.290mulberry.com/downloads/290Mulberry_livingRoom.jpg

note the hairline seams between wood pieces and the variety in both texture and reflectivity.

being the amateur that i am, all i can get is uniform/boring/repeating/lifeless textures. i've tried creating a bump map using rhino and printing to jpeg with the lightest lineweight but my seams still come out too heavy.

with that said, please help.

maybe it can't be done using the rhino+vray formula?

thanks!

Mar 31, 09 5:09 pm
trace™

Anything can be done with vray. Anything can be done with anything, for that matter, just comes down to the artist doing the work.

Looks like they have a specular map in there (notice the subtle specular shine on some of the pieces of wood).

You should be making the maps in PS. Try a higher resolution for more detail.

It is a nice rendering. Takes more than software to do that.

Mar 31, 09 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
induct

You want to use the VRayDisplacement Modifier to get good textures.
It is more effective than using the displacement map and has many more options you can adjust.

Try some textures that others have made and go from there.

www.vray-materials.de

Mar 31, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I recommend Arroway textures, they have the best, most complete maps. The specular map is very important, as trace notes, and arroway has diffuse, bump, & specular. You will need all 3.

I think vray for rhino even comes with a couple from arroway these days. Just look up which maps are applied in which channels and replace as needed. Then use their size recommendations e.g. 3meters, and convert that into your units in the texture mapping widget.

arroway

another great resource for Vray for RHINO materials

Mar 31, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Good links.

suwatch - one thing to consider is that the specular highlights in that image are not that realistic. It looks good because it breaks up the 'perfect' CG look, but most wood floors will be polished in uniform fashion, not per board.

Displacement or good bump maps is a great start at breaking up the uniformity of the 3D. Nothing is perfect in reality and that is what makes it 'real'.

Apr 1, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
suwatch

awesome. i appreciate the tips and links.

(tangent-as i wrote that last sentence i realized it could work if i was speaking to a butcher...)

trace - i made my bump map in rhino because that was the only way i could get straight lines for the hardwood floor pattern. is there a way to do this in photoshop?

induct - is VRayDisplacement Modifier a max only thing?

fog - thanks for arroway

Apr 1, 09 9:27 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

"i made my bump map in rhino because that was the only way i could get straight lines for the hardwood floor pattern. is there a way to do this in photoshop?"

hold down shift in photoshop when drawing/painting

Apr 1, 09 9:31 am  · 
 · 
trace™

and setup a grid of guides, the lines will snap to the guides

make sure the lines are on a separate layer, make a bump/displacement map from just the lines

if you can't get the lines thin enough, make the PS file a higher resolution

Apr 1, 09 11:17 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

all true, i prefer starting most textures in Illustrator though.... then usually export to frotoshop for finishing/layering

Apr 1, 09 11:21 am  · 
 · 
induct

Yeah vraydisplacement modifier is for mas, somehow I didn't see the rhino part of your post.

Apr 1, 09 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup, ill will allow more flexibility with the lines

Apr 1, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: