Archinect
anchor

Open source software alternatives?

usernametaken

The official, most commonly used software packages are insanely expensive in most cases. Surely, there's a reason that programs with a lot of quality cost money - at least, it seems to make sense - but for many designers it's just impossible to buy licenses for autocad, 3d studio, the entire Adobe CS-package and some more programs.
I'm thinking that open source software could be a decent alternative in some cases - those programs are free of charge, continuously updated.

So I've compiled a list of all the open source software that could be useful for designers, that I know that exist and are pretty much ok to work with. But I'm sure there are many more alternatives. So does anybody know some nice open source alternatives for the software that is commonly used by all kinds of designers?

Feb 22, 09 6:48 pm
Antisthenes

I see you added a few things not opensource(firefox addon for FTP is), in that case would you consider the Open Design Alliance partners products viable alternatives and also DoubleCAD?

Feb 23, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: