Archinect
anchor

Revit 2010 Autocad 2010 sneak preview

harold
nmiller.arch

Looks like Aish is having an impact.

I am still skeptical on how advanced those "conceptual" parametric tools are. How customizable are they? What is the interface like for keeping track of the relationships? Are there scripting options available?

If they want to sell me on their new cool tools, I want to see a better image than that funny whale thing.

Feb 8, 09 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I really can't stand the new CAD UI. It's like they looked at office 2008 and went: "Yes. Let's take Microsoft's disastrous UI changes and apply them to a platform that millions of people have been using for years, so that they spend days looking for things."

I can't wait for Rhino V5.

Feb 8, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

when is the eta of rhino 5?

Feb 8, 09 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I'm not sure, but there's been some buzzing about it over at the mcneel website.

Feb 8, 09 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
nmiller.arch

mmm... Rhino 5....

Feb 9, 09 12:30 am  · 
 · 
jaja

nmiller.arch , I’m curious what kind of projects you do? Are you scripting on a daily basis or generating your geometry through generative algorithm? Are your clients paying you to do that in these hard economic times? What software do you use do document you projects? Are you aware that there is a big difference between Rhino, AutoCAD and Revit? Are you aware that these softwares are used in different stages of the design process?

Feb 9, 09 3:35 am  · 
 · 
harold

The videos show a little more info of the new tools in Revit than the pdf, but because it's yet an Alpha version, the info is limited. I gues we'lll have to wait a month or so to get the full preview.

Autocad on the otherhand is ready for roll out. What you see it what you get. I'm shocked to see subdivision surface modeling in Autocad. It looks more like 3ds max now.

Feb 9, 09 5:13 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i'm with you guys, Rhinoceros 5 could not come soon enough, unless the wait means implementation of the most amount of the wishes

with all the user input it is sure to be a killer app

Feb 9, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

slightly OT... is rhino4 64 bit yet? is it safe to assume that 5 will be?

Feb 9, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 
4arch

Revit desperately needs some UI help.

Feb 9, 09 11:33 am  · 
 · 
prospero

there's more information here:
http://designerati.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/revit-2010-details-become-public/

for those who don't want to download/unzip the pack.

seems like sketchup will quickly lose it's appeal.... Revit with a better UI & push/pull like free-form conceptual design tools... FTW!

Feb 10, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
mvsuriano

sketchup will never lose its appeal - its like a warm slipper in february...

Feb 11, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
harold

It will only lose its appeal for current Revit users that use SU for conceptual design.

Feb 11, 09 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

wait, sketchup had appeal? news to me

Feb 11, 09 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
nmiller.arch

jaja, that is an unexpected barrage of questions.

to answer your questions:

1) I’m curious what kind of projects you do?

Personally, I have worked on mixed-use, stadiums, corporate-commercial offices, developer projects, residential. We do more as an office, but those are the kinds I have worked on

2) Are you scripting on a daily basis or generating your geometry through generative algorithm?

Yes, on a daily basis. tools such as Grasshopper and Generative Components are a part of our work flow. They were essential for two major competition wins in the Asia. We do scripting, to a lesser degree, as well.

3) Are your clients paying you to do that in these hard economic times?

Yes. In fact we argue that it has made us even more profitable because we are automating parts of the design process and developing designs more effectively. We have shown this tech to clients and it has blown them away. Welcome to the 21st century.

4) What software do you use do document you projects?

Depends on what the project is, what the client expects from us, what the deliverables are, etc. Some are documented using Bentley Architecture, some are in Revit, some are still in AutoCAD. Some drawings come straight from Rhino. We work with a mix and don't see any one of them as the ultimate solution. Each tool has a purpose and is more effective under different circumstances.

5) Are you aware that there is a big difference between Rhino, AutoCAD and Revit?

What do you mean? Do I smell antagonism in that question? How about "they all suck at different things, but are all better at others in different ways." ?

6) Are you aware that these softwares are used in different stages of the design process?

Actually, I don't believe in that position at all. We don't limit tools to a certain roll. Revit, for example, may be a more effective documentation tool overall... but Rhino can still document complex geometry up in ways that Revit isn't even close to yet.

Feb 11, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
nmiller.arch

PS. sorry for the thread jack. you may continue with the topic.

Feb 11, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

please no, it is evident we will not be subject to the dictates of autodesk's business model

Feb 11, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

... can't you see, ohhhhh
can't you see
what that Autodesk
been doing to me

Feb 11, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

Antisthenes, would it make you feel more comfortable if we talk all day about Rhino?

Feb 11, 09 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

nmiller.arch thanks for the answer.

I never knew that the "goodness" of a software is judge by the ability to make complex geomtry. I hope that the 99% of architects in the USA that build mcmansion and stripmalls for a living will eventually get rid of their b-rated software and upgrade to Rhino.

Feb 11, 09 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: