Archinect
anchor

The drafting room

Drafting Room, Ford Motor Factory, Willow Run, MI -1942. Photograph by Hedrich-Blessing

Does anyone else find this interesting?  I know for the most part technical drafting has gone the way of the dinosaur but for those of us who did learn how to draft before eventually moving on to the computer isn't this photo a little strange?  I mean folks lying down on tables all over the place!?

The photo is part of a new exhibition "Architecture in Uniform: Designing and Building for the Second World War" at the Canadian Center for Architecture in Montreal.  View larger image here.

Jun 2, 11 2:37 pm
Rusty!

They are clearly drafting at scales larger than 1:1. Makes sense for auto industry.

Back in the olden days we tried to document a whole building in 1:1 but eventually ran out of paper.

Jun 2, 11 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

It's to prevent smudges. They did a similar thing at one of the art classes in school where the assignment involves very-over-sized paper and a lot of charcoal pencils.

Jun 2, 11 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i love large technical drawings --- they are so beautiful --- i would to have worked there!

Jun 2, 11 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"i would to have worked there!"

I think I just accidentally myself.

Jun 2, 11 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

typing too fast, again --- i do love hand drafting though and find large technical drawings beautiful --- i've seen some 1:1 drawings for helicopter parts and assemblies and they are pretty spectacular

Jun 2, 11 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
ether

jmanganelli, that is music to Bob Faust's ears.

Jun 3, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

ahhh, faust..........one of my favorite professors

Jun 3, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

didn't bob do some wild ashe car show room in atlanta? Thinking I have seen pic of it at one time or another.

Jun 5, 11 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

not sure...his apartments, especially the interior of his apartment, as well as the doctor's office he did in town are very nicely done.  I've seen pictures of some of the work he did for Goff as a PM and it was very impressive.  His drawings are beautiful.

Jun 5, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i had heard about how cool his apartment was from a few students, so at some point i had an excuse to stop by --- i used to live just up the road from them --- his wife invited me in and showed me around for a minute --- outstanding! ---

Jun 5, 11 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

he lectured once while i was there and as he spoke for almost an hour, a continuous stream of exquisite hand drawings, models and built work --- fifty years of work --- cascaded across the projection screen, about an image every 10-15 seconds, for the entire hour --- there are people who talk about it and people who do it and man oh man did he do it

Jun 5, 11 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you're ever near auburn, indiana make a stop at the auburn/cord/duesenberg museum. it is located in the showroom of the carmaker and upstairs you will find the offices of some of the designer/engineers for these awesome rides, complete with drafting equipment and drawings.

Jun 6, 11 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: