Architecture Books

VC45

Any good books lately?

Feb 2, 09 11:02 pm
Feb 2, 09 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anyone picked up hermann kaufmann's wood works

outside of that, i've been hoarding cash just in case.

other ones i'm waiting for the economy to settle down before purchasing/looking

Snoehetta: Architecture, Interior, Landscape

a+u: houses by louis kahn

h&dem 4

Sou Fujimoto: Primitive Future

The Architecture of Carl Nyren.

Hanne Kjaerholm Houses

Gert Wingardh: Thirty Years of Architecture

Werner Sobek: Light Works

Claesson Koivisto Rune: Architecture and Design

the last book i purchased was a used egon eiermann monograph that i'm enjoying thumbing through.

Feb 2, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Looking forward to Wood Works, waiting for it to arrive at my local bookstore before resorting to amazon. Based on the images over at the graphic designer's site, it looks like it's full of details and good images.

Reinhard Gassner also designed the Marte Marte monograph, which looks promising as well since they don't have much of a web presence.

Snohetta's books looks like it will be awhile before it comes out, and Hdem 4 is a major disappointment (and $50 more expensive) compared to the previous three volumes (cheap paper, poor organization, much less documentation and fewer images per project). The el croquis on them is much more thorough. The Wingardh book is massive, full of essays and covering almost every project he's ever done, but by the same token some of his nicer projects don't have as much "coverage" as I'd like.

Some I'm interested in:

UN Studio's Move condensed and reprinted as one volume

Meili & Peter's first monograph.

Actar's book on new French architecture

10 X 10 3

A+T's D Book, which I'll never be able to afford, or the similar, smaller book on Density which has a lot of good details in it.

Also, Jensen and Skodvin's monograph if it ever gets reprinted/becomes available again.

The last couple I got were Christmas gifts, Mathias Klotz Architecture and Projects which has a lot of his earlier work which you don't see as often, and the second edition no-longer-$300 Zumthor Therme Vals book, which is great.

Feb 3, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

good call on the marte.marte & meili peter.

i haven't been to peter miller in a while, so i've yet to check out the h&dem4, that's disappointing.

and wood works looks great. you checked out his other book yet?

Feb 3, 09 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

good call on the marte.marte & meili peter.

i haven't been to peter miller in a while, so i've yet to check out the h&dem4, that's disappointing.

and wood works looks great. you checked out his other book yet?

Feb 3, 09 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Yeah I was glad I flipped through the hdem before I decided to invest. If it improves in a second edition (and I have saved up some money) I might reconsider.

I remember you mentioning that Kaufmann/Lenz monograph (wait, bio-graph?) in the other book thread, but I could never track it down (seemed to be out of print). You have it? I'm really looking forward to getting some good passivhaus details in wood works.

Feb 3, 09 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bio. damn, i must have set off a run. if you can find it, i rec. but the new hermann should be beastly.

Feb 3, 09 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

just got Earth Architecture by Ronald Rael. Its a great book of contemporary projects using earth as the main building material.

link

Feb 4, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the earth book worth getting if you can find it is kapfinger's martin rauch: rammed earth

rauch's website

Feb 4, 09 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

Holz - the rammed earth book work getting might be martin's book...but the EARTH book is definatley Ronald Rael's it covers every form of earth construction vs only one branch.

His blog that inspired the book is an abusrd catalog of all things earthen and architecture
link">link

Rauch's website has some really beutiful projects, earth is such a fascinating material

Feb 4, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)
link

did it work this time?

Feb 4, 09 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

picked up the gert windgardh book today. good call, phu

Feb 5, 09 1:34 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yeah there's a lot of information/writting in there, but for the size i was disappointed at how small the drawings are and the lack of details. for the price it's a good deal tho.

since Kienast Vogt came up in the name that building thread, you have any of their monographs? I've flipped through Minature Panorama but never decided to get it.

Feb 9, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i've got 2 of 3 of the dieter kienast monogaphs:

gardens
open spaces

i've never seen the guenter vogt book, but his work is pretty interesting.

i really dug the understated quality of DiKi's work, i'm not so keen on the playful/flashy l.arch work these days, but that isn't to say it's not bad...

Feb 9, 09 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anyone catch that wespi + de meuron recently dropped a book?

Feb 25, 09 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

looks nice, though also seems to be another one that would be tough to track down in the states without a high shipping cost.

Dino Simonett recently published a full Olgiati monograph that goes for about $300 (signed) :

but there's this on Amazon, which looks to be the same thing but a different publisher.

Feb 26, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 

I've been jones'ing about Mathias Klotz | 39°N 111°E I think it is the newest monograph about Klotz's work, although I am unsure if it is available in English.

Mar 1, 09 12:59 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

bump

I got the Marte.Marte. and Hermann Kaufmann books in the mail a couple of weeks back (the Olgiati book seems to have sold out before it was released, I've already seen used copies around $600). The Kaufmann book is a great tool for all of those interested in sustainable (wood) architecture. Information including construction photos, endless details, cost analysis, carbon footprints, and the life cycles of materials are all included, painting a thorough picture of Kaufmann's works from the planning phases until completion. Definitely recommend it.

The Marte.Marte book is probably one of the better coffee table books I've seen in awhile; with jet black pages that lay flush with the cover, it looks less like a book and more like a hunk of iron. The aesthetic is certainly a nod at their buildings; typically fortified and sometimes foreboding on the exterior, but much more complex, warm and inviting on the interior. There is a lack of detailed drawings, but the abundance of photography and short essays throughout paint a clear picture of the firm's work.

I recently saw this Christian Kerez monograph online which looks like an interesting approach to an architecture book, but also seems more like an exhibition catalog then a monograph, anyone seen it?

Apr 28, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: