Archinect
anchor

Is t-splines for rhino still relevant?

nappy

I know maya.
I use Rhino.

I am thinking of incorporating t-splines into my workflow..u guys think
it is worth the effort?

I am also on the verge of starting to learn Revit.

What do u think

Jan 27, 09 12:32 pm
Antisthenes

very, the most powerful modeling tool out in my honest opinion

grasshopper would be better to learn before revit

revit is hype blaa, nothing much to learn just a changed workflow use issue
and with their being valid reasons to resist / boycott autodesk i wouldn't advise it.

Jan 27, 09 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah, Revit is only good, if you want a job.

Jan 27, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

i'm at a job.
hence...revit.

Anyway, is grasshopper easy to pick up?
And can someone give me a brief description of what exactly grasshopper does? Seems to deal with scripts/panelization..but how is it different than, for example, applying a honeycomb script to a rhino surface?

Or apply a honeycomb script in maya and pushing/pulling/deforming the 'grid'?

I saw this example on the grasshopper homepage of some staircase being warped or deformed and what not..what is it doing?

Alas, is grasshopper EASY to learn? How about t-splines?

Jan 27, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Another set of questions...

1. I have previously talked to a t-splines tech before (last) and I asked him if sub-D modeling in maya was "faster" than tsplines rhino..and he said yes. I don't mind that because I know that the tradeoff is that if you use t-splines; you have something that is more controlled and can be more readily built. However, can anything that can be modeled in maya be done with rhino/t-splines as well? From my observation of some of the stuff on the tsplines website..seems like a yes?

2. From my limited observation, and the reason why I am still curious about t-splines, is that it seems to incorporate the best of both nurbs modeling along with box modeling; and overseeing both of these methods is a way to keep surfaces efficient, clean and watertight. Additionally, rhino is inherently precise and accurate something that is much more painful to achieve in maya. So my question here..is whether tsplines represent the best of both worlds?

3. How much time must i invest in t-splines to become adept at it? I think my Rhino skills are already very good.

4. What's a good way to start learning t-splines? If I do a lot of the tutorials offered at tsplines homepage..is that sufficient?

Jan 27, 09 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I like Grasshopper, I think it have tremendous potential. Don't know much about T-Spine yet.

Just want to show you what it can do:

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=452&storycode=3120517&c=2

Just few years ago, AA and some united states school(columbia) are exploring the potential of repeated and twiested pattern for the buildign skin design. Now these technology have been used in some real buildings. So what some elite schools are doing will give us a hint for the future building built form development.

Cheers!

Jan 28, 09 10:34 am  · 
 · 
nappy

thanks guys.

Jan 28, 09 10:54 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

nappy , T splines only takes a day to learn..its only like a hnad full of commands..mostly you ened up converting yoru hard to deal with surfaces to tsplines, to make them work better, then you might change back to srufaces , depending on what you are doing,

..do you have a crack? I had a crack, doesnt work..

Jan 28, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

Here we go again. The hyping up of Rhino and the revit bashing has started.

If you really want an answer to your questions please visit any other website with REAL ARCHITECTS with experience. They can tell you what software to use and when to use them in a REAL world situation.

It’s pretty much predictable what answers are given here on archinect. It's always this one guy who sleeps, eats and reads rhino and who’s on this anti Autodesk crusade. Must be a student.

Jan 29, 09 3:38 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Thanks again ant/ff33.

And I do not have a crack.

a Day to learn? nice.

Jaja, I know a lot of firms that use a combination of rhino/revit.
Initially modeling done in Rhino (esp when there's any sort of curvature) and then taken into revit. From my limited experience, it seems that rhino / revit aren't mutually exclusive.

Jan 29, 09 9:32 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I do Rhino--> Revit and Revit--> Rhino in order to render with Maxwell (works very nice as everything comes in as solids [polysurfaces] now). I also do Rhino--> Maya every now and then.

I don't remember if this was said above or not, but T-splines works with Maya as well.

The real trick with all of this stuff isn't the tool that you use--it's your skill and finding things that work for you and figuring out how to do what you want instead of relying on a "tool" to do it for you or dictating what you can do.

Jan 29, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah I am sort of bored with threads about software in general,..its what people debate about when they have little else to say,... like this

"...this hammer is better than that hammer"

we really don't care if any one doesn't like a software
anyway...go to designreform and watch some videos , it will broaden your horizons for sure...

Jan 29, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

I find the software threads interesting. Thanx to those bla-bla-bla topics I could find Designreform and other great sites.

I mean it's kind of a natural thing for a carpenter to chat about all sorts of hammers endlessly, isn't it?

Jan 29, 09 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

true that. There is a reason people talk about stuff because it works for them better than that witch they have had previous experience with and felt frustrated by limitations or lack of listening and hostile monopolistic policies.

DesignReform.net

Jan 29, 09 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Jaja: you think you have a good point?

Jan 29, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

I really do not think it's as simple as "it's not about the tools you use, it is how you use them."

That is only half true...if even.

I will tell you to model a blob in AutoCAD i don't think u can do it well.
I ask you to model a blob in rhino vs maya..and it is much harder to do in rhino.

When comparing maya and rhino /w t-splines, then perhaps these platforms are comparable. Then we can talk about efficiency once both programs are mastered etc.

Jan 30, 09 9:35 am  · 
 · 
nappy

I tried out tsplines 1.3 for a day.

It is very nice but there are some limitations when compared to maya. Ie..you cannot extrude edges, offset edgeloop etc.

However, they are being implemented in tsplines 2.0.

Tsplines should just implement more of the features/workflow/interface of maya box modeling. Then it can be a tad more user friendly.

However, I can see the potential of tsplines

Feb 6, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
nappy

Some of the procedures in tsplines right now is a bit "clunky" when compared to maya.

Feb 6, 09 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: