Archinect
anchor

Revit: Hype or Hot??

archiTEKE

Our first REVIT project in the office was a 10,000sf LEED Gold library.(brand new building)
-From design conception to ground breaking was exactly 1yr.
-IMO was one of the better designs Ive seen in the office.

OUTED said it perfectly

"we've made a wholesale conversion to revit for the past two years. i'll share a couple of observations: the people in the studio who are more adept 3d 'thinkers' and know more about actual construction absolutely love it and will never go back. they're doing better work, more quickly, and actually have more time to design since there's not as much back end coordination to manually do (there's still quite a bit, mind you). those who are not as spatially adept or who struggle more with how buildings actually go together have had a harder transition.

with all that said, it's still just a tool in the process. we, the people, control the process, not the software. we use sketchup, rhino, hand drawings, lots of physical models... point being, it's not an either or - you have to make it part of the way you work, not let it define how you work."

REVIT is indeed just another tool in the arsenal.

Jan 27, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Bluesman7

Hype.....

Sadly it is becoming an Industry (corporate) standard. That is why I have been stuck on it for the past two years.

The Revit Reps deserve a raise. They have sold sooooo many Firm Principles (even worse, clients!!) that this is the future. GOD I HOPE IT ISN'T!!

Jan 28, 09 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

The 12-person firm I'm at took the bait, Blues --

Couple staffers who had never worked in 3D at all, let alone in BIM of any kind, agressively helped sell it to the partners, who are all but computer illiterate.

Jan 28, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

bummer i feel for you guys and what could have been your higher salaries

Jan 28, 09 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Steven Orlansky

HOT:

- Make one change and all associated drawings (plan, section, perspective, etc) change along with it.

- One database for all project drawings, from a project management point ovf view - easy to see where you've progressed and where you haven't. There's no "oh, you're not looking at the latest version of that mmillwork detail, which I have saved on my personal hard drive..."

- Automatic production of some drudgerous aspects of production work (door shcedules and such).

- WYSIWYG drawing interface - no ACAD colored lines, layers, and so on.

- It's today's Windows / VHS / AutoCAD, etc. It's what you've gotta use if you want to be in the mainstream of where we're at and where we're going. We've recently had institutional clients MANDATE use of Revit (other BIM programs not acceptable) by the entire design team in their standard contract!

HYPE:

- Make one (unintended) change and all associated drawings (plan, section, perspective, etc) change along with it...yikes.

- Not easy to overide graphic qualities of parts of objects.

- It's freaking SLOW!

- It's buggy and crash-prone.

- It's not really suitable for higly finished renderings.

- It's very cumbersome for renovation project or other non-standard construction types - we just finished a project that was constructed of masonry bearing walls with a lot of detail / varying thickness and it was hell.

Jan 28, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

nice post, so. spot on in my opinion.

Jan 28, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: