Archinect
anchor

HELP - Which software used to create this

Moses

hey,

Does anyone know what CAD software this person has used to create these stunning technical drawings of sections. Im talking about the 4th page with the Black baground and the sketchy but accurates lines (its not sketchup)... there seems to be textures that are not on AUTOcad either and its very anti-aliased so its not AutoCAD...

anyone know...

link:-

http://www.digitalstudio.gre.ac.uk/integratedtechnology/atelier9/Rossana%20Barreto/FullDocument.pdf

Jan 11, 09 9:26 pm
pvbeeber

Not sure what's so special about these. You could do this with just about any drafting or 3d modeling package.

Jan 11, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

what package? im in my last year of BA architecture, and iv only ever used AUTOcad for sections and so on, Illustrator for sprousing up the sections, and SketchUp for the modelling... But these have other textures such as the wooden texture, I have seen this exact same style from other people too, like there all using the same software but i dont know what it is.

Jan 11, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ummm... cad+photoshop

Jan 11, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

just throwing rough guess here
As for 4th page, draft it by hand or autocad, or both. then, take it to photoshop, inverse the line color to white. alternatively, take autocad dwgs to illustrator, change stroke cap and join to round if you want that smoothened lineworks.
i'm sure there are many other ways to achieve this.

Jan 11, 09 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

you mean AutoCAD?... how do you get taht wooden texture in CAD, like a section of a plank of wood, and get it accuratly sketchy in photoshop? i doubt its cad+photoshop. Becuase many people have the same exact style like this guy

PAGE 6: http://www.digitalstudio.gre.ac.uk/integratedtechnology/atelier8/Sam%20Clark/FullDocument.pdf

see he has the same style too!!! there using a different software.

Jan 11, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

just tim, thanks, the above comment was posted before reading yours,.

check PAGE 7 out,... look how similar it is to the other girls work on my first link posted on the first post.... http://www.digitalstudio.gre.ac.uk/integratedtechnology/atelier8/Sam%20Clark/FullDocument.pdf

how did he get that wooden texture?

Jan 11, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Are you looking at the random wood grain in the plank sections? It might be a larger wood grain block/pattern that the designer overlayed over the entire drawing, then trimmed to eliminate the pattern that wasn't in the planks.

Jan 11, 09 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

I doubt that, becuase the texture (wood grain) on the section has the extentions at the end of each line, like that style sketchup has, where the extra is left at the end of the line (if you understand me)... but anyway my point is, the style there definatly shows that the grain is almost drawn on, and doesnt seem to be a cheap photoshop fix, that trims off any outer rasters... becuase some of the texture even goes outside of the bounding box... again this is on page 7(http://www.digitalstudio.gre.ac.uk/integratedtechnology/atelier8/Sam%20Clark/FullDocument.pdf)

my only conclusion so far is that he EVEN DREW THE BLOODY GRAIN ON.... which I dont think... becuase there are lines that are sketchy and loose and other lines that are very accurate yet they both have the same style.

Jan 11, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Well, if that individual DID draw each wood grain, he/she is going to have a brutal time transitioning to an office job.

A principal once scolded me because he thought I had drawn a window section from scratch. "I'm not going to pay people to draw details from scratch when we already have a library of common details!" (I didn't draw it from scratch - I merely modified an older detail that he was not familar with, per my PM's direction.) Needless to say, I left that job a few months later. But I digress.

Jan 11, 09 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

since lines are little fuzzy and inconsistent in line thickness, this might be hand drawn. I might be wrong though, if there is some program out there to achieve this.
As for hatch, you can do what just why suggested, overlay some topo lines or wood grain and trim them.
If you want your dwgs to look like that, i can suggest one way though it's kinda stupid and time consuming..
Just draw a rough section in autocad or sketchup section if you have sketchup model. Print it out and trace over that, while adding your own wood grain and details.. this might be a pain in the butt.

Jan 11, 09 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I agree with just tim. Looks hand drawn and tweaked in Photoshop. I'm not seeing anything spectacular either, pvbeeber. It looks nice, but I think it's just hand with some digital post production. I've done the digital to hand to digital before, and it looks like that. That's my bet. Based on the link having "integrated technology" in it, that sounds like the type of class that would work with mixed media as well.

Jan 11, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

yeah it probably is guys, anyway... My first term (last yer) portfolio submission day is on tuesday 10am... its 4:23am right now, and i want to murder the ass whole who drew digitized drew it.... what nob would work that hard for something good but still a section...

Jan 11, 09 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Moses

ill show you what i did, after

Jan 11, 09 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: