Archinect
anchor

HD Monitor

Hey does anyone have a good hd monitor? I'm thinking of getting a HDTV and using it as my monitor. I need the resolution; I can't read my plans!

Here's to hoping firms look at detailed documents...

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? 1080p (if I remember correctly, I literally just read it lol). Does refresh time matter? Should I look for a specific contrast ratio? For those that have them, do you think widescreen is better than normal-er? Is there an aspect ratio I should look for? Why?

I'm really just looking for a really sharp, crisp image. Thank you for all your help!!

Nick

Jan 9, 09 12:01 am
4arch

HD vs non HD doesn't really matter for a computer monitor since HD (1080p) refers to a specific aspect ratio (16:9) and resolution (1920×1080). What you really want for clear images is the highest resolution (listed as x by x figure, like above, with bigger numbers being better) you can find/afford in the screen size range you're looking for (though you do have to be careful - too high of a resolution on too small of a monitor can make text and icons too tiny).

Contrast ratio just refers to how dark a black area looks against a white one. More important if you're doing a lot of image manipulation, maybe not so much for just drafting. Again, higher is better (5,000:1 is better than 500:1).

As for aspect ratio, widescreen is definitely better if you're working with programs that are mainly menu driven like revit, photoshop, etc. For just plain old AutoCad and MS office it's not so important. But it's hard to even find a non-widescreen monitor anymore. Most units sold as computer monitors have 16:10 aspect ratio while TV's have 16:9. I prefer the 16:10 as the 16:9 can make the image too scrunched horizontally.

I have a 24" widescreen at 1920×1200 resolution (which is actually better than HD because I have 120 extra vertical pixels - about 1" or so higher than an HD monitor would be at this horizontal resolution) at work and it's amazing. I don't think I'd want to go much bigger than 24-26" - which can be had without having to buy a monitor designed for use as a TV.

Jan 9, 09 9:21 am  · 
 · 
alucidwake

hey 4 thanks for the helpful response. Definitely is helping me refine my search! Do you or anyone else know of a company that makes decent quality WQXGA or QSXGA screens? Neeeeed mooooore pixxxellsssss

Nick

Jan 9, 09 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

i have the Apple 23" Cinema HD display @ 1080x1200 and it is absolutely stunning. At work I am working on a single 19" and it feels very claustrophobic compared to my big apple.

at 23" and 1080x1200, i can have an 11x17 drawing/file open @ 100% full scale or a word document open in book format at full size :) Upping the monitor was perhaps the single best thing i did for myself and my productivity.

fwiw: i also have it mounted on an ergotron flex arm so that i can move the monitor where i need it to clear room for review sets, more coffee mugs, models, etc.

Jan 9, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

my Dell, probably similar to 4arch's monitor is super. 1920x1080 is great for a monitor (24"). My laptop also has that res.

Buy the best quality a company makes for graphic work. Dell has some great deals and there are amazing coupons out there, try www.techbargains.com or do a search.

Jan 10, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I was able to pick up a 30" HPLP3065 second hand about 6 months ago - 2560x1600 resolution, nice monitor for $800, and it's big enough to double as my TV.

I wouldn't want to use an HDTV for work, and if I did more color critical stuff I'd be looking at the ezio coloredge series, which is pricey but by far the best monitors with the best warranty.

Jan 10, 09 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: