Archinect
anchor

Transparency map->Geometry with holes?

randomized

Does anybody here knows if it is possible to generate geometry out of a transparency map in any kind of software. So if I have a surface and apply a transparency map (only b/w ) is there a script or tool out there that can actually convert it into geometry with actual holes in a similar way as converting bump maps into geometry in rhino?
thanks

Jan 8, 09 3:57 pm
rehiggins

i think ZBrush might be able to do what you're suggesting

here's a link to using and alpha image to create details on a mesh:

ZBrush Alpha

Jan 9, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

displacement maps combined with a transparency map?

Jan 9, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
randomized

I would like to use the outcome for actual drawings and a 3d printed model, not just a render, but I will check your suggestions.
thanks already

Jan 9, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

use the Heightfield command?

Jan 9, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
randomized

can the heightfield command generate actual holes in the geometry that will show e.g. in a linedrawing of an elevation?

Jan 9, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

everything that I'm finding for Rhino/Grasshopper is about using an image for displacement, but maybe there's a "hidden" command that will do the trick?

if it was a vector image, you'd have no issues and could use flow along surface and "make hole", but that's pretty tedious for large amounts of holes

Jan 9, 09 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: