Archinect
anchor

How to model ETFE panels

squarebubbles

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you guy can give me tips on how to model ETFE panels. At this point they're in my model as flat surfaces and I don't know how I can get that bubbly bulge in them. Is there a straightforward way of doing this. The curvature doesn't need to be exact I just need some dimensionality for the renderings. Thank you.

Dec 6, 08 6:23 am
squarebubbles

I forgot to add, I'm modeling in Rhino.

Dec 6, 08 6:31 am  · 
 · 
randomized

I would put a cage edit bounding box on it and pull the points in the middle to get the bulge and then mirror it to complete the cushion.

Dec 6, 08 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Are you going to render the model at some point? It may be easier just to do the surface as one large map rather than trying to individually puff out panels.

Dec 6, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

lofting with cross sectional curves or create the surface from a curve network.

Dec 7, 08 1:58 am  · 
 · 
grauster

Model it with an outline and a couple of ribs for the section and use
the NetworkSrf command...if you don't like it it you can delete the surface and alter the points on the curves to change the resulting surface...

like someone mentioned already, I would model it in halves and then mirror and join into a polysrf. The only thing with the NetworkSrf command is that the endpoints of the rib curves must intersect somewhere on the outline curve...

Good luck hope it helps...

Dec 9, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i did this 6 months ago for a project, im sure there are faster, better ways, but the finished, rendered product looked pretty good.

take your poly/boundary line and make a patch surface, hit f10 turn on the control pts grab the pts around the center of the surface and pull them out.

Dec 9, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: