Archinect
anchor

Rhino -> Lasercutter?

anvi

I'm wondering if there's a way to make 3d surfaces into flat, lasercuttable curves in rhino. I thought unrollsrf / smash would do it but it wouldn't do joined surfaces. I tried make2d but it doesn't look very accurate?

Thanks for any help!

Dec 1, 08 2:59 am
difficultfix

explode/ unjoin, then unroll....or squish

Dec 1, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
over_under

make2d is accurate to the view you're looking through.... if you want straight on shots make2d from anything but perspective.... thats the best way....

a different approach you could try is.... there is a program called lamina that basically takes an exported .3dm file and separates all faces and lays them out on sheets to be lasercut for you... ive used it with pretty reliable success in the past.

Dec 1, 08 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

There's also Pepakura.

Dec 1, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

i agree with link above, a great piece of software...

Dec 1, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

I've always just manually unfolded surfaces if they're planar. If they're curved, you'll have to unroll. But beware that if you have double curvature, they're non-developable surfaces meaning that they can't be unrolled into 2d planes.

Dec 1, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just use 50-80 pound foam and shape it.... unless you are looking to make a faceted dome or something thats clear....

post a pic and i might be able to help a bit in making it without using a laser.....

b

Dec 1, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

I seem to have gotten myself into a lot of trouble... it's actually really really easy... I'm just kinda new at this.

I didn't want to trace it over by hand... I just have a bunch of planar triangular/rectangular surfaces as floor/wall and wanted to laser cut/score them so I can fold them with minimal gluing.

I ended up using unrollsrf (what I needed was to turn explode off) and then tracing the cut/score lines myself. It works pretty well.

Thanks everyone for the tips and software!

Dec 1, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: