Archinect
anchor

citifield and tiger loses his buick

won and done williams

well, i'm glad to see our $20 billion loan to citigroup is being well spent on things such as naming rights to a baseball stadium, while those poor schmucks at gm grovel for their keep. ironically, as citigroup "wins" its naming rights, tiger woods becomes the next victim of the failing economy. we live in a divided america, folks, where the white collar bankers go carte blanche and the blue collar workers sing the blues. so much for a colorblind america.

Nov 24, 08 9:30 pm
le bossman

you need a drink.

Nov 24, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
binary

time for an independent revolution....

Nov 24, 08 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ah bossman, i'm not expecting much outrage, or even much sympathy. i just find it funny how the more things change the more things stay the same.

Nov 24, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A lot of people are really, really angry about this deal.

I've always hated Citigroup, though I do have one of their credit cards, Jonathan Golob reminds us:

Nominally, in my posts this would be the time where I make a nicely reasoned discussion of the negatives and positives of the latest action. I can't. I'm apoplectic—consumed with rage beyond rational thought.

Citigroup is eponymous for the sort of financial bullshit that sank all of us—the entire fucking global economy—into what is increasingly likely to be a decade- (or decades-) long period of abject misery. I. Cannot. Even. Start.

In 1998, the formation of Citigroup unilaterally ended the Depression-era Glass-Steagall act. That's right, this fucking financial monstrosity simply decided a cornerstone of American financial regulation shouldn't exist, and acted accordingly.

Nov 25, 08 6:46 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anybody else wondering why we haven't bailed out enron yet?

Nov 25, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

kidding aside, mr bush is going to need a job after january. bailouts of texas firms are probably on the horizon.

Nov 25, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a little research on obama's advisor and clinton wing man, robert rubin, shows that he received 17 mil dollars in compensation from citigroup and 33 mil in stock options. wtf?

Nov 25, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm sure the citigroup execs took the bus to get their bailout.

Nov 25, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm not the least bit surprised about rubin. usa has been an insider's game for a long while now. harvard...yale...princeton...or bust

Nov 25, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

again it was the old "too big to fail" chant that got them the dough re mi.

Nov 25, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

yeah, that one works everytime.

Nov 25, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Agree on the citigroup criticism, but tiger a "victim" of the failing economy? yea, i guess it's going to decimate his estimated $600 million worth and he'll have to take the bus...

Nov 25, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

does this mean my beloved Mets will continue to lose?

Nov 25, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

why dont they break citi into the regional banks that were deemed "too small to compete" in the 90's that were gobbled up to make the group - shit they didnt lose $300 billion. I guess us midwestern folks are too good at not losing money to get bail outs. Fuck NYC and her bankers.

Nov 25, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

i'm sure Tiger will survive somehow, he might have to play a few more tournaments next year

i really hate this 'too big to fail' excuse. in a capitalistic society some companies succeed and some fail, and i think the gov't needs to let it play its course. what really baffles me is that they allowed Lehman Bros. to go under, but yet now everyone is too big and we have to save them.

Nov 25, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: