Archinect
anchor

3Y exp Architect: Looking to apply to my dream firm

AspiringArchitect

hi,

I hope everyone is doing well. I've been working as an architect for three years now, and I have a conundrum I hope the ever-helpful community here can assist me with. I am planning to look for a new job and have come across some of my dream firms that are hiring. The issue is that within my three years of work experience, I have not worked on any projects that can be shown to these firms, as the type of projects I've done are completely different from what these firms focus on. For example, my work usually involved designing mid-range villas of about 400-600 sqm—nothing fancy. I am confused about whether I should showcase these works or add some conceptual/dummy projects to demonstrate the kind of projects these firms are more interested in. I would greatly appreciate your help.

tl;dr I want to apply to my dream firm but i don't have any relatable projects in my closet.

Jun 5, 24 7:31 am
Non Sequitur

400sm-600sm is not mid-range.  600sm in my area puts you in commercial building category FFS...

So you want to apply to a stArchitect sweat shop but all you have are generic McMansions and a few years work exp?  Tough sell, but best you can do is advertise your billable production skills and hope you fill a need in their operation.

Jun 5, 24 7:47 am  · 
 · 
AspiringArchitect

exactly completely mind numbing. but the bigger question is does the dummy project approach work?

Jun 5, 24 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dummy projects are fine if they show something other than glossy imagery. Do they demonstrate specific creative problem solving? Interesting program massing? Technical acumen?

Jun 5, 24 9:35 am  · 
 · 
AspiringArchitect

Allright there seems like a small opportunity in that. I'll take it. Thank you non sequitur.

Jun 5, 24 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

It's going to be tough - but not impossible. A lot of hiring at these firms are via networks (Alumni, colleagues, friends) due to the sheer amount of applications received. A couple of ways in:

1) Extensive PM experience, ideally typology-specific. Some of these sweatshops might want to hire experienced architects (Licensed) who have sector-specific experience. Unfortunately, these sectors tend to involve programs such as performing arts centers, museums, and other cultural buildings that are their bread and butter.

2) Tech expertise. Firms that deal with complex geometries hire computationally savvy folks to assist with bridging the gap between formal fantasies and fabrication realities. If you are supremely experienced in Grasshopper, Python, C#-based workflows, firms such as BIG and ZHA may be interested.

Jun 5, 24 9:17 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

To add on, look at this architect: https://www.herzogdemeuron.com/people/philip-schmerbeck/

He runs HdeM's growing American operations - and never worked at a starchitect office before! Nor did he go to a brand name school.

Jun 5, 24 11:31 am  · 
 · 
The_Crow

1100 is a known regional feeder to starchitects I'd say

Jun 5, 24 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

That is quite true! I suppose working at a reputable AOR for starchitects is a good way in as well. Handel is another one.

Jun 5, 24 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
AspiringArchitect

Ill have to research these paths. Thanks monoseirra and The_Crow.

Jun 6, 24 12:03 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

This might seem condescending - and I really don't mean it. But I think its a dead end competing with kids who can render/photoshop/AI their way per the latest trends. A starchitect firm would appreciate a grown up in the room - someone with extensive code, CD/CA, PM experience.

Now, they could easily rely on the AOR to handle these kind of work if their business model precludes work past DD - but there are some firms that wish to do more work in house, and that's where you can come in. As a stepping stone, you should definitely work yourself to a position where you can work with these firms in an executive capacity and gain experience in the sectors they work in (Cultural, prestige commercial, institutional), building personal relationships along the way. Cultural fit is important, as is one's ability to "read" the starchitect's mind. You are after all going to translate their ideas to reality.

Jun 6, 24 10:12 am  · 
 · 
The_Crow

To be honest, it's very unlikely that a starchitect would hire someone with this background. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but you may want to get an intermediate job before making the move. Look at their current employees and see what offices act as feeders prior.

For instance, plenty of "starchitect" offices in New York hire from KPF/Bob Stern's office despite the work being very different stylistically.

Jun 5, 24 9:50 am  · 
 · 
AspiringArchitect

I completely understand that and it makes sense. Hence the dummy projects approach. Because I doubt even the feeder offices will take anyone who has done just cookie cutters homes for 3 years.

Jun 6, 24 12:05 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

You need to appeal to them with a good work ethic and efficiency doing your work with the tools they use in their workflow. Starchitects already have the aesthetic ideas thing figured out, what they really need is people to execute the concepts (aka production). The feeder offices are somewhat the same in terms of there is already someone running the show aesthetically (like a "director of design" or similar) and they won't be hiring you for that, but rather a role producing the work.

Jun 6, 24 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

This thread gives me the heebie jeebies. Mcmansions and exploitative starchitects oh my....

Just go get a job at a respected regional shop for 3 years then re-evaluate your starchitect dream.

Jun 5, 24 10:00 am  · 
4  · 
The_Crow

This is the way.

Jun 5, 24 11:11 am  · 
 · 

I'll second what archanonymous said. 

AspiringArchitect: I know it seems like you need to work at the 'dream' firms right now or you'll never get to / miss out. 

That's not the case. 

Getting a few years experience at a good firm that will help you to learn an grow as a future architect is important. Having this type of experience is what will get you the future positions at your 'dream' firms.  Without it you'll only be used for production at these 'dream' firms. 

Good Luck!  You've got this!  

Jun 5, 24 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
AspiringArchitect

Thanks chad. That's an approach I will have to consider as well.

Jun 6, 24 12:07 am  · 
 · 

You bet! I know this is a difficult choice. Despite my advice if you want to apply to these 'dream' firms right now go for it! The worst that can happen is you don't get a position while getting some more experience with interviewing and making a portfolio.

Jun 6, 24 10:24 am  · 
1  · 
graphemic

Honestly, I suspect that hiring approaches will vary from firm to firm and it's not wise to just assume you have nothing to offer. You need to convince them that you're valuable, not the other way around.

Rather than basing your portfolio on speculation, do some networking and research. Target specific offices and figure out if you know anyone who's worked there, or someone who knows someone etc. Figure out how the office is structured, what kinds of positions they're hiring for. 

It's not going to be a blanket application for all offices, you gotta get more specific.

Jun 5, 24 12:43 pm  · 
3  · 
AspiringArchitect

Yes I do think the friend of a friend of a friend approach is very important. I'll try to go down the networking tunnels and see if I can find someone. Thank you graphicmic.

Jun 6, 24 12:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: