Archinect
anchor

Best PC for Rendering in Vray / 3D Studio / Rhino

archicleveland

I am looking to purchase a new PC to replace my slow laptop that got me through grad school. I want to upgrade to the best desktop that I can get without going over the top into crazy expensive gaming computers. Any advice?

Also, as a side note, anyone having success using Parallels to run these programs on an Apple?

Nov 24, 08 4:49 pm
Antisthenes

there is no best there is only different ;)

Nov 24, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

get good Nvidia graphics (the most you can afford)
for rendering get the most CPU cores.

don't use parallels use bootcamp if you got the MacPC route because you will have graphics hardware support.

you could make something very nice for 700, at least i did.

Nov 24, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Definitely try to get one built somewhere. Mine at home from 2 years ago is still a lot better than my newish dell at work and it was cheap.

Nov 24, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

BYOB

Nov 24, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

A gaming PC isn't necessarily going to be a good workstation/rendering machine…A good rendering machine has multiple, fast processors with as much RAM (DDR2 ECC or better) as you can cram into the machine and fast-accessing hard drives. You don't necessarily need a workstation-class video card though some software will get cranky running on the non-workstation cards (some gaming cards are actually de-tuned workstation cards that can be tweaked back to their workstation performance via a firmware upgrade).

Just a note though: video cards have nothing to do with the majority of rendered images--they only handle real-time display and hardware-based shaders (using Gelato or sim), though you still need a good one to work efficiently with complex models or get used to turning off all of the display-candy.

Is this machine for professional work or is it just for hobby-type work?

If professional, make the investment in a workstation class machine. The best workstation-class machines for the money right now are either MacPros or Boxx machines; but you'll be looking at spending around $3k on a base model (which is actually affordable for this class of machine)…you could probably make your own cheaper, but you'll have to source all the parts yourself and hope that they all play nice together and then you'll have to be your own support service--no warranty or someone to call in case something goes wonky.

If you're just getting this for hobby-type work, then you could probably get away with an imac or one of the Dell/HP mid-range machines (Dimension or similar)

Nov 24, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

those builders use the same parts you can get, don't be fooled by marketers

Nov 24, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

Yes, what you say is true for the most part; however, have you ever actually read the trials and tribulations posted by BYO system builders? Not all parts work together--some MBs are cranky and don't play well with other parts of the machine. Plus it also requires specific knowledge and confidence to build your own--since this post exists I highly doubt this guy will know how to build a PC let alone feel comfortable specing the parts or installing all the software/drivers needed to get the thing running.

Nov 24, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

that is y you read reviews and use the best parts that others have tested against each other.

5 plugs is not that hard and you save yourself grands

Nov 24, 08 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

rehiggins... a little research will solve all of the unknowns of a system build. plus it's a good exercise and absolves you from total dependence on what you can order from a vendor.

it's like baking cookies... there's a recipe, follow it and it things turn out delicious (i.e. cheaper and faster than a pre-made system = value) :)

look into a system around Intel's new I7 processor. the 920 is around $300 and out performs the current ultra high end and $1500 core2 extreme QXxxx. A very fast system could be had for around far under $1000.

Nov 25, 08 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I like Asus as they have always been solid and overclocked well.

that is one good ingredient.

ya that new I7 chipset does look nice for 2xing the speed, but i would wait till it is more mature and has 8 core setups.

Nov 25, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

yeah, they make good parts and i thought i recall reading they also make the innards for a lot of other computer manufacturers... sony, acer, etc...

i suppose... it depends on what AMD has up and coming. If nothing threatening the current Intel dominated market, Intel may as well push the 8core release of Nehalem back until AMD shows up to play which could be late '09. Between now and then a lot of renderings could happen ;)

Nov 25, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
archicleveland

Thanks all for the advice. I have been amazed at how moronic the average "computer expert" salesperson is these days. Worse is that they pretend they actually know what they are talking about and they spew their ignorance all over you. Ewww. You all are much more helpful.

Nov 26, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: