Archinect
anchor

sketchup to max

bravo_on_trace

Hello,
I have a question. I've got my model geometry in sketchup, and I want to import it to 3D max to add materials and lighting. Does anyone have advice as to how to do this? Max isn't recognizing layers or groups created in sketchup. Instead, it is putting random objects together.... so I can't assign different materials. Advice much appreciated! Thanks.

Nov 19, 08 11:26 am
difficultfix

I am not a max user, but I know if you export 3ds from sketchup it does that(bunch everything into one layer). If Max lets you import dxf --I would say do that..because dxf keeps all layers intact.

Nov 19, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

If you have sketchup pro, try exporting individual groups as separate .3ds files, and then import them one by one into MAX. If your co-ordinates and units are set up right, then they will come in in place. You may have to invert normals on some of the faces, depending on how your model has been built in sketchup.

Nov 19, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

good thinking! i'll try it now... thank you!

Nov 19, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
+2

I do this all the time, especially for simple geometries, which obviously is the intrigue for sketchup...Anyway, as suggested above, you need to model EVERYTHING as separate objects that you would like to assign as different materials in max. Easiest way to achieve this is simply to group things in sketchup.

For example- if you are have a wall with a window in it, you need to group presumably three different objects.

1) the actual wall itself
2) the window frame
3) the glass

its just key to understand that max will treat any face that is not separated from another face as ONE object. From my experience, this is only achieved with sketchup groups and/or components.

hope that helps

Nov 19, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

ditch sketchup....

model everything in Max (or I have to Say it in Rhino)

Nov 19, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

haha i would like to ditch sketchup. I learned max a long time ago and I like it much better. However.... I am not the boss. ;) Thanks for everyone's help. This is my first time to try to do this and I appreciate all the knowledgeable (and quick!) responses.

Nov 19, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

if you don't need the squigly lines (which could be made in Max via some tricks)...try "Ink'n'Paint" in Max...I do that a lot and everyone asks me if I use Sketch-up.

Nov 20, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Save the sketchup model as an autocad.dxf file. That will definitely maintain your layers. This is how I did it back int eh days.

Nov 20, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: