Archinect
anchor

Taking light readings in 3DS Max

LKJR

We've been using LightScape for a lighting class. This hasn't been maintained and is troublesome to use (i.e. no undo option) Max is a lot easier to use and make adjustments to.

so is there a way / or plug in, to take readings from a max rendering?

Nov 7, 08 8:41 pm
Atom

Use VIZ not MAX. They bought Lightscape a while ago. Viz is max in every other regard.

Nov 7, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Ahm, as far as I know, VIZ didn't have the lightscape render engine, but Max has. Other than that, there are more differences between Max and Viz. And thirdly: viz isn't continued anymore - it became Max design (with Max functionality).

Nov 8, 08 5:56 am  · 
 · 
LKJR

I used Viz in undergrad. Granted this was a few years ago but it was horrible. Max is a lot more stable and reliable. It's not about the actual renderings as much as I need the predicted light meter readings on surfaces.

Nov 8, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

What you need is a tool called Radiance, you can find this tool

here

I use it with Ecotect...., I have never tried using directly from a 3d modeling program (I use Rhino) but it might be possible, since desktop radiance is a standalone tool

Nov 9, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

RADIANCE

Nov 9, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Deidra

We use Max and V-ray. Here are some samples: http://www.vayersoft.com/architectural.html

Nov 13, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Vray from what I know and most rendering engines will not give you lux valued outputs.

So I still suggest Radiance....It works really great

Nov 13, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

been wanting to use this, but not sure how accurate.

if IES files for the lights are available you can put the IES file in as the web for the fixture, the light must be a "Radiosity" fixture, and then use this setting in Environment to get the readings....in theory at least.

Nov 13, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: