Archinect
anchor

Wicked cool commands for your Mac

WonderK

This morning I shut down my computer for the first time in a couple of weeks, and when I started it back up again, the screen was totally whacked. You see, I had some screen issues over the summer, which I thought had been fixed, and which is why I usually only put it to sleep, but this was a new development: my screen looked like it was on an acid trip. Literally it was psychadelic...rainbow colors, jagged edges, really crazy stuff. I could still see about 90% of the information, but I have midterms on Monday, so this was bad news.

Anyway, I called Applecare and it turns out those dudes are magic. I apparently needed a "PRAM reset" which I accomplished by turning off the computer, then turning it back on and holding down the option + command + R + P keys at the same time. I waited until after the "third chime" to release the keys, and voila ... my screen is now fine! It was awesome!

Anyway, I'm probably walking the fine line of industry secrets right now but I couldn't keep that to myself. Another good one that he gave me was to invert the colors on your screen entirely, hit the control + option + command + 8 keys ... it's like the "solarize" command in Photoshop.

Rock on.

Oct 29, 08 7:58 pm
binary
Oct 29, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen the Pram reset before, but that invert command is kewl!

Oct 29, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

open sesame

Oct 29, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, afrdzak, thanks!

Oct 29, 08 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Mrs b's Mac went AWOL this past winter. She is the daughter of an
IBM Mr Fix-it, so she is usually the one to dive in and repair any electical appliance in the house with the exception of the clothes washer or dryer. So anyhow her Mac took a vacation on us and damn she didn't want to look under the hood. So He Who Must Be Obeyed...(chuckle), did a little research on the internet..and found there is a magic reset button on the inside you need to reset for this particular problem. So there I am tearing into, "Her Baby" and she is not liking it.. to the vacuum to it cleaned out all the dust and punched the button when she wasn't looking. Then I said...hokus poke us....and reassembled the machine...and damn if it didn't start right up with out a hesitation...so since then I did recieve a little respect from the one who knows just about everything about electronic equipment. She has done wonders with external zip drives, toasters, toaster ovens, along with an assortment of other things....even is known for foiling a spider inside one of our computers a few years ago. Just today she stepped in and reloaded
my external memory back up which went hay-wire on me over the weekend when we were kicking a project out the door.... It is a fricking good feeling when you can fix something with out having to have someone come in and fix it.

Oct 29, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

do you know the one about holding ctrl while you do the two-finger scroll thing?

Oct 29, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Sigh... if only Pcs has this social following versus the silly ones they've had to make up for television

I'm a pc and sell fish

Oct 29, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Whoa, agfa8x, I forgot about that one! It's crazy!

Oct 29, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
blah

WonderK,

Do you have a recent MacBook Pro with one of those Nvidia graphics cards?

There are reports that many of the video cards are bad.

Just a heads up.

Oct 29, 08 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

pram reset is actually in your handbook,, dont count on it too much though,, when shit hits the fan, its hits it bad (my harddisc crashed) and the pram reset was just false hope

Oct 30, 08 12:20 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks make....my MacBook Pro is from 2006 but the screen (and perhaps some other things) got replaced over the summer so I don't know what I have, to be honest.

panda...I back my computer up on an external hard drive every day...I encourage everyone to do the same!

Oct 30, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

wonder k,i know wat u mean, i start doing that at the begining of every major "time",, for example, wen i was in school, i used to start backing up everyday,, but then momentum picks up and you think ur data is invincible

luckily, i have everything on cds, in different places, but its all there,,

external hard drives are good,, but back up the very important things on cds, they last,, external hard drives are just like a laptop, they could go bust at any moment,,

anyway, i just got my laptop back, clean and empty,, with leopard installed in it,, and all that said, i would still get a mac over a pc any time,,

Oct 30, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"There are reports that many of the video cards are bad."

I heard that was a problem with most of (manufactured over a certain time period) Nvidia's previous graphics cards and the new ones should be ok.

Windows 7 looks like it might be an acceptable release and will hopefully iron out Vista's wrinkles. Funny that the new ad campaign doesn't mention Vista by name.

Oct 31, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: