Archinect
anchor

the first annual 'no more political threads' pledge

outed

all right, in an open plea for a little more levity this political season....

we, the respondents to this thread, hereby pledge not to engage in any more politics based discussions, on archinect, for the remainder of this election season.

let the trolls have their fun, let the candidates make their case, and may we engage in our constitutional debates elsewhere on the wide infinity of the internet, but, under penalty of merciless harassment by mdler, we the undersigned, resolve to abstain from speaking of lipstick and pigs until after november 4th.

join me in the call for celibacy, my archinect brothers and sisters.

respectfully submitted,

laru

Sep 16, 08 9:07 am
PodZilla

I'm so in. Keep the politics away from here!

Sep 16, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 

does this count as a (anti-)political thread?

Sep 16, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
2step

What about economics threads? Im about to start one.

Sep 16, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
mdler

laru for president!

Sep 16, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I do solemnly swear.

Sep 16, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am in....one vote ,...in 6 weeks...until then can we just enjoy life.

Sep 16, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

mdler for trophy Veep!
laru for president!

Sep 16, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

yea Im basically a lurker on archinect because of all the political zzzzz...

Sep 16, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

look ... just ignore the political threads and they'll go away.

every time somebody here rises to the bait being thrown out there as "meaninful political discourse" they're just encouraging the bastards.

Sep 16, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

i must admit i never even look at any of the political threads, but i agree there does seem to be an alot of them.

Sep 16, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i started to get a little carried away and had to reel myself back in...it's just so hard!

Sep 16, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

you repugs are all the same. mccain is a liar and a whore

death to GWB!

god DAMN america!

Sep 16, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

what's more important: who will be the next president or whether some kid should go to sciarc or columbia?

Sep 16, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Although I can't disagree that there are too many political threads, the real problem is that the quality of political discourse on this site is, more often than not, mind-numbingly low. I don't think the right reaction to this is to stop talking politics, though. There are some very serious issues facing our nation right now whose effects will likely have a profound effect on our profession and our lives for years to come.

Sep 16, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

yes lletdown, way too much gypsum wall board being used in america. somebody has to put a stop to it!

Sep 16, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

GypWallBoard is an inside job.

Sep 16, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

lol!!!!!!!

Sep 16, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
outed

focus people....

(thanks for the kind words all)

Sep 16, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

Architecture and politics are inseperable.

Sep 16, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
We're Not Gonna Protest
Sep 16, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

laru, I totally agree with the troll threads with titles like "X is a liar": that's not a discussion and I have lately been posting wisecracks and jokes to those, although I will now just leave them alone.

But who exactly made this rule that at Archinect we should just discuss architecture? You? Cause if you look at the main page of Discussions it's broken down into such topics as General Discussion, Culture, Regional, Random Tangents, and yes, Politics. Political discussion is boring? Have you ever gone to a party where there is a group of architects off by themselves in a corner, and you walk over there and they are discussing...gee, surprise, architecture and the office and construction sites....and everyone else at the party is staying well away from them. Now that's the very definition of boring. And what exactly is Thread Central, where they talk about underwear and what their baby is doing now? I don't think we need to dictate what should be discussed here, but not feeding the troll threads would be a good idea.

Sep 16, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

meeting is adjourned ... harumf.

Sep 16, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

If anything "should" got to " need to" must " and "have to" other wise known as amstsprache (the bureaucratic language that denies choice used to demonize and slaughter millions) would best be avoided. as well as static labeling of individuals or generalizing statements about groups.

On with the political threads, this is one itself.

Sep 16, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Whoa! Abra took the image of the page numbers and put them in a post! As a link! For a minute I thought it was the bottom of the page.....

I am all for not feeding trolls. Garden gnomes on the other hand, are cute and should be encouraged.

Sep 16, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

my name is holz...
and i'm an architect-y/politicall-y junkee.

Sep 16, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Anyone else just notice that Paul Begala seems kinda gay?

Sep 16, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
outed

emilio -

dude, chill a little bit. did you happen to read the word 'levity' in the first sentence? know what that means? and, i guess unlike the first 17 posts or so, you might have missed that the movement is a voluntary one. it's our pledge of abstinence. voluntary.

don't sign if you want to play elsewhere.

Sep 17, 08 7:32 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

all threads are political...unless maybe they get no response at all and then fade into internet oblivion in which case their best hope is a flicker of recognition by being memorialized and even then that are still kind of political

Sep 17, 08 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

whew.. we have choice :D back on the straight talk express...

Sep 17, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

didn't know where else to post this:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080917/NEWS01/80917017

Sep 17, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

do we get rings if we agree?
like abstinence rings?
i want a ring.
cuz my soul is married to christ.

Sep 17, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I never post them. I just respond to some of the absolutely absurd ones. Someone has to say something!

Sep 18, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I realized last night that my firm is now a political 'special interest'. However we are not bribing anybody or offering gifts (yet) to elected officials. there is a chance that we might fly some folks to korea to meet with our client in a few months...
does this make me evil?

Sep 18, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

there is no evil, less that witch you imagine

Sep 18, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
outed

treekiller - yes, you are evil. embrace it, though, and you'll find your inner peace faster than you can say 'darth vader'.

sugarbear - brilliant idea! purity rings for all!

Sep 18, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

darth vader.

ahhhhh... I feel better. maybe McCains campaign will hire me now. (sorry that was political - but I'm certified evil, so I can get away with that)

can i get a ring with 'evil' on it?

Sep 18, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i will abstain from abstinence.

you what they say about abstinence-only.........that dog don't hunt!!

Sep 18, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

whats really boring is not the poly ticking, but the: sarah palin this sarah palin that obama this obama that mccain this mccain that and the mostly inept attempts at self-cloning jon steward or his side kick...the nerdy looking guy wassisname,? anyway, the only kinda funny bit was the chris crockeresque 'leave sarah palin alone' thread. really its getting quite ap-palin-g. enough already, boring americans :)

Sep 19, 08 3:31 am  · 
 · 
outed

treekiller -

i bequeath to you the ring worn by dr. evil himself...

Sep 19, 08 9:32 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

cool!

Sep 19, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
oe

For real though, on all the other boards I use theres one 'Election 08'' thread and we tell the people with duplicates to fuck off.

Sep 19, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

authoritarianism is NEVER OK

Sep 19, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
twee

amen laru

Sep 19, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

'made in belgium' , the modern concept of evil that is

Sep 19, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

the thing is it's so easy here to start a thread that some people abuse it with jerked off titles and such. oe's idea of one political thread about the election would be just fine...but then of course you open it up to censoring other types of threads that seem frivolous and where do you stop?

Sep 19, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

no censorship exists here and that you advocate even the question is sic

Sep 19, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

I'm NOT advocating it, that's why the question at the end talks about the slippery slope...but really, what's the big deal? if we ignore the idiot threads and don't post to them, they soon disappear into the ether....

Sep 19, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Well its sort of useless here cause of threadwhores like pimp. Plus theres no 'last-page' link and every page has a 100 posts so its kind of a bitch to navigate big deep threads.

So whatever. The election will be over in like a month and a half and everyone can go back to bitching inanities about everything else that has nothing to do with architecture.

Sep 19, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
orbital2000

Yes, we must call for a separation of politics and architecture. The two are like beer and wine. Good to a point but bound to make you puke.

Thomas Jefferson would agree.

Sep 19, 08 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: