Archinect
anchor

Online Construction Bidding

evilplatypus

Has anyone ever used online construction bidding sites like RS Means or Bid Clerk to announce your project? Was your experience good/ bad/ indifferent?

Did your client ask you to post it or does your firm actively use these types of sites?

Sep 10, 08 12:06 am
PsyArch

We have been involved with this one:

RICS e-tendering.

It seems to be taking off, along with automated payments.

Sep 10, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Atom

I haven't used that site but I have used other ones where you post the drawings for the bidders to buy. For big jobs and a giant general contractor it is nice to keep it all in one place. For anything under 6 stories the online bid center is a print shop racket. They charge far more to print your drawings than they do to make a copy from a real set. With the online bidding and printing the bidders have to buy an expensive set and they can't really see the sheets they want on a screen. Then you should consider who the bidders are, look around at your job site, are those guys at a computer? Some are and some are not, which ones will bid lower?

Sep 11, 08 3:17 am  · 
 · 
clamfan

I did a beta test with these guys in the Chicago market however they've closed the site to revamp it nationally. They were good. You could search or solicit bids by CSI catagory and upload and download blueprints in PDF form. shortlister They said it would be back up in October.

My office's customers also regularly publish in Dodge reports, which also has an online component. I definitely think online bidding is a trend here to stay.

Also sub-hub is a national one out there for subcontractors.

I think more contractors are computer savy than we think. Maybe someday they'll be BIM savy as well.

Oct 29, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

damn clamfan I thought you were a highschool want a be....you are among our enviroment....damn that is scarry...

Oct 30, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 
2step

I just checked out that shortlister site, its up now. Can architects use these sites to find clients? Theres a job where a dentist needs an interior renovation - but doesnt have a design. Seems like a no brainer.

Anyword on a "find an architect" site? God knows I could use one. Even interior design - Im game.

Ive even been scanning Craig List. Its going to be a downer Christmas.

Nov 22, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

we have worked w/ the city a few times, and they use an online bid system.

projects are announced in the local trade pub, and usually picked up by local plan centers as well.

Nov 22, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Does the city have an online site for finding designers? Maybe thats the million dollar idea. Maybe a new feature for archinect.

Nov 22, 08 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmm, i don't think so but the local aia site does. of course, you have to be an scammed by the aia to become a member...

Nov 22, 08 10:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: