Archinect
anchor

Please Criticize My Portfolio !!

Hey Folks!

I need everybody to criticize my new portfolio!

Please find it here

http://issuu.com/bilaltatar/docs/portfolio_bt_aug10_2013

Thank you in advance!!

Have a great day

Aug 12, 13 9:53 pm
elaz

Interesting.

1. Not sure the 1 image per page format is helping you. Maybe show the construction details with relevant project instead of breaking out in separate section.

2.Put your built work towards the front. (Liked the house with the H&D rock wall.)

3. "Mosque" is not a bad word.

Aug 13, 13 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Median

In short, each page looks like you screen captured a website. Look at Magazine layouts, it is clear you had a thought on the design, but there is no substance.

Aug 13, 13 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

Graphically horrific. I couldn't see the work as I couldn't get past the vomit-green on grey with faux reflections and weird top and bottom bleeds. Really hard on the eyes.

Aug 13, 13 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
isoarch

Thanks for posting.  Here are my comments from a quick once-over.

- Change the green to something less distracting, maybe even make the block smaller.
- If you haven’t already, try a light gray or white instead for the background.  I think it will help the darker images pop more and the CAD drawings integrate better.
- I appreciate the “contribution ratio” part; too often students take too much credit when the product belongs to a team
- I appreciate attempting to keep it simple and show one image, but it needs some supporting thought, which leads me to my last comment.
- More than anything, I feel the portfolio lacks evidence of some conceptual thinking.  A simple sketch (hand drawn or done on a computer) that shows the design intent, whether it’s about one really strong idea or several ideas that complement one another.  The sketch might be about, say, how a part of the building integrated to screen and control sun light or an overarching organizational strategy.

Best of luck!

Aug 14, 13 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I like the green...but NOT on that gray. I think it would look a lot better on white background and then even images will show up nicer on the page. 

Aug 14, 13 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

some pretty cool work in there! one suggestion: I wouldn't include your vectorized headshot... or at least make it less prominent and put in only in your c/v potion. it kinda makes you seem vain.

Aug 14, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I think you’ve got plenty to work with but lots to improve on.

I think you really need to expand out your projects. Don’t worry about having twenty different things, worry about showing people how good they are. Just flipping through it everything feels about the same. Half the projects are just a single rendering, which is inherently the same style and while it’s pretty well done it’s not spectacular. Show us what the project is really about, if there is a lot of material dedicate at least two spreads to each project and do like…. five diverse projects that give us an understanding of your abilities. Like people have already said, the one image thing is not helping you.

I think people have already said plenty about the yellow/grey combo. I would like to point out my concern for the rigidity of your portfolio. There is no hierarchy of content, which of course doesn’t matter that much considering that most of the projects are just one page, which should be a sign the the one page thing isn’t working well. The weird 2ish inch “grey space” on either side of the layout for every page also seems unwise to me. You could get so much more on a spread. Like someone said, it looks like screenshots from a website.

I’m also uneasy about the fact that you have the shopping mall in their twice with slightly different but inherently the same text. I understand that you are trying to touch on a bunch of different skills/experiences by your organization, but I think there are better ways to imply rather than the explicit organization.

I also think the leading on your body text is a bit too high. And your “about me” section is really bulky… I don’t think the (diagram/bar graph? Thing, I don’t know what to call it) is particularly helpful.

But that’s just me.

Aug 15, 13 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: