Archinect
anchor

First view: a new angle to the Tate Modern extension

Via artcile in the Evening Standard
link

H&M have come up with a new design for the Tate Modern expansion.

What do you think?

I like the brick and higher seperate stack as oppossed to the previous parasitic edge of the older proposal.
Seems more contextual and less flashy.
Which are two traits I am finding i appreciate more and more in contemporary architecture,.. Maybe because they are so often lacking....

Jul 18, 08 1:33 pm

Although obvss.. it does seem to (from this image/angle at least) dominate over the original building...

Jul 18, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

i like it more than the previous scheme. gut reaction.

Jul 18, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, it seems a bit more refined than the previous scheme. the previous scheme seemed a little haphazard.

Jul 18, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

A

Jul 18, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The last scheme seemed both expensive and unbuildable. This one includes some (financial & programmatic) sense.

As we see in the present Tate Modern, H&deM are very able at champagne style on beer money.

Good luck to them. I hope it works.

Jul 18, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Text from the Tate Members email:

At a press conference held today, architect Jacques Herzog and [Nicholas Serota] unveiled a revised design for the new building at Tate Modern.

On the Inside

These new plans take the dramatic subterranean oil tanks as their focal point - two of the tanks will provide spaces for displays and performance. From there, the building will rise 65m high, with eleven floors linked by a ceremonial route sweeping up through the galleries.

Improvements to the original design will result in a better mix of art and performance spaces, from the large and unrefined to the small and intimate, plus an additional Members Room with breathtaking views and open air terraces.

On the Outside

These refinements also include a perforated brick screen in the place of glass - letting the light pour in during the day while giving a spectacular appearance of an illuminated building at night.

Sustainability

The new building will also lead the way in terms of sustainability, with much of its energy being drawn from heat emitted by transformers in the nearby EDF switch house.

We shall continue to keep you informed as plans develop.

Sir Nicholas Serota
Director

Jul 18, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
RevisionV

above is better than the first pile of sugar cubes. but nothing that special to be honest....

Serota and co were brave enough to select a relatively unknownish/youngish/unexperieced practice for the power station and look at how that worked out.

why not do the same again and seek out similar talent eslewhere, instead of running back to Hedgehog & Moron...

Jul 18, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

da, new egyptian modern....go daddy go!

Jul 18, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i always thought the H+dM intervention to the original building to be very harmonious...this revised addition seems to relate much better to that harmony...

Jul 19, 08 12:09 am  · 
 · 
simples

and i always try to remember that h+dM's buildings are always much more successful than their renderings...

Jul 19, 08 12:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: