Archinect
anchor

DOME AGAINST HURRICANE

mauOne™

so i read the first article with no pics, and i think to myself, what a great thing that an architect came up with such imaginative design to create a hurricane resistant dome although i said 245.000 is lots o money (at least to me in this part of the ball), anyway i go to the second article just to find out it is a concrete ball, c'meon, and i couldnt help to be a littl dissappointed to se a concrete ball luxurytype home.........anyconcrete blob, or concrete cube for that mater will resist a hurricane, i thoug it had been some thing more imaginative designwise........so pour a lot of concrete, it wont be affected.not even by a nuke.....well maybe a nuke will break it

Sep 17, 04 4:18 pm
Bryan Finoki

hey mau

I am trying to do some research on other designers pursuing hurricane-resistant structures, can you suggest any?

Sep 17, 04 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

245,000 on the beach aint a lot o money.. but yeah, that thing is not the sweetest solution. i took a look at some of his other dome homes, and some are better, but suffer from a bit of a jetsons type aesthetic. i still prefer it over mizner (big in florida, google it and puke) though. i give him credit there, but still would like to see a better looking solution that performs on the same level.

Sep 17, 04 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

CSMonitor wrote this article about Zimmeran's dome and hurricane-resistant housing, issues with roofing, proper safety standards, etc.

Does anyone else have info or ideas on more solutions?

Sep 21, 04 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

The dome was cool. way cool.
Form does follow Function

245,000 is cheap for a house in Florida.
Avg price in Plam Beach County 335,000

Mizner Was Good....,s all the Hacks that tried to copy him
that sucks.

Sep 21, 04 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

shalak i dissagree a little bit,

i think that "vernacular" architecture has shown us how people adapt to their environment and make architecture that can withstand extreme natural conditions, those guys in the amazon for example, used to build their houses on high pilotis, so the floods wouldnt affect them, or the opposite condition are eskimos and iglues.........so in a sense i think it is quite a cool challenge, but it has to be more adequate to the conditions and a litle more imaginative than lots of concrete :o) happy spring day or fall to the northerns !!

Sep 21, 04 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

john mcphee
"atchafalaya"

we cant control nature, but we still try and try and try. apparently now our homes can, and they are holding back hurricanes!!!

the dome is just another ignorant arrogant pile of tightly coiled poo pooped out by an another ignorant arrogant architect.

Sep 21, 04 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Did any of you ever read the short story by Jimmy Buffett about the guy who built the hurricane-proof house? He describes a shallow dome roof what is anchored with a series cables to the ground. I always envisioned it like a concrete helmet strapped on a house, shaped like those WWI doughboy helmets. I read that long before I got into architecture, but the image has always stuck with me and I wondered if anyone had ever attempted something similar.

I also liked the main characters love of hurricanes, because it got rid of the tourists and vacation homes that cluttered up the beach.

Sep 22, 04 10:53 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

This is a good design and it works you ahole.

http://www.domeofahome.com/images_stickney.asp

take a look right on the beach I'll take it.

Sep 22, 04 11:45 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

i did take a look, and then i took a poop

you do the same, then your ahole wont hurt so much

Sep 22, 04 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Better than the Crack House your living in.
Oh wait you make an Architect's Salary.
Better than the Crack Apartment your living in.

Sep 22, 04 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

im almost speechless, i guess your rite after all, the dome is better than a crack apmt. they should of mentioned that when it was featured on the morning news.

i can hear it now...."make the dome your home!, betta' than a crack house, well maybe not but better than a crack apartment!!!"

congratulations!

......uh oh, time to poop again....freakin domehome

Sep 22, 04 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
gringoSOUP

ok...the domehome is anything but a "good" design, at most its a blah beach house shat on by a concrete truck and decorated by crayola.

If products like this are the answers to florida's hurricane devastation, then we should cash in our degrees now, and hand over commissions to the numb nut contractors who are directly responsible for this monstrosity.

As for you Spanky3D, you wouldnt know a "good" design if it was hanging from your ass like a dingleberry.

Sep 22, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I like the dome home, I think it's kinda cute, especailly as a funky beach-home kinda place. Is it brilliant architecture that will transcend the ages? I doubt it seriously.

But if its goal was to withstand a hurricane, and it did just that, doesn't that make it good "design"?

Sep 22, 04 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

how bout this....A CASTLE!!

no ocean can win against a castle! thats it, ive got it!!! the 'castle cottage'....and you can rent it for a week or 2. and then on the inside we will fingerpaint some murals to cover up the buttressing.

i feel so much better now knowing that my 'home' will never go away and always be there as a monument to mans power over nature. plus it will be somewhat critically regional with the whole sandcastle metaphor, now this is good design and architecture, maybe i can get STARK3D to do the renderings for me. itd be perfect.

Sep 22, 04 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

plus ill even let you paint it a cute shade of any pastel color you want

Sep 22, 04 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
gringoSOUP

cute..a gingerbread house is cute, the cromedome home is an itchy pimple on florida's ass.

Personally a good design doesn't completely rely on function, it obviously is important but doesnt cut the cake by itself.

Sep 22, 04 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

dragthelake

Your attitude here is getting about as stale and unimaginative as the concrete you express so much disdain for. While I certainly agree the concrete dome is less than glamorous or evolutionary as real architectural innovation, you have not provided any options for another solution. Have you got any ideas on how to address hurricanes, actually, or just more concrete whining?

As libertybell states, it does solve the problem, and I bet Floridians at this point are more concerned with that than the vanity of the project. I think the structure of a dome/shell is smart, and perhaps concrete is too easy a way out, but the design is not entirely without its merit.

gringoSOUP, I agree, as architects if this is the only solution available right now then you should be out proposing housing that evidences to the public how architecture can actually solve this problem with style and intelligence. Seems like there is a market waiting waiting for you right now.

Again, anyone have any design ideas for solving hurricane devastation of housing?

Sep 22, 04 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

gringo, your pimple metaphor is very funny, and thus at least somewhat apt...

No, function alone doesn't make it good architecture. But it may make it successful design.

But let's face it, domes are very often the solution to harsh climates, they are a smart solution for enclosing a lot of space quickly and efficiently. Is it the dome form itself that you, gringoSOUP and dragthelake, don't like, or is it some specific expression in this dome that makes you hate it so virulently? Can we have some formal criticism, here?

And I don't see design being about "controlling" nature so much as withstanding some specific aspects of it. Buildings don't "overcome"gravity, they withstand it, for a time.

Sep 22, 04 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
gringoSOUP

you are spinning in circles here, i would like to think good architecture equals successful design any way you put it. By slopping together a pile of concrete and convincing yourself its a "successful design" is absolutely ludacris. You know what, all the adue is owed upon the material, round of applause for CONCRETE. If any architect who can look at the details and connections of this building and seriously commend the makers, Ill bow, ill bow in agnologment of a supreme moron.

The dome shape wow, you know what i suppose your right it does suceed in stopping damage, but what? actually walk inside and inhabit this boob shaped building, no way would someone do that to actually admire a space. go to the domehome website check image gallery, recent photos and try to give some me some positive thoughts on what you see..

once your done putting your foot in your mouth, ive got something else you can swallow

To me its a reactionary statement, in which another nitwit architect puts together a beach house from his usual stamped out CD's for some def dumb and blind clients who decide its worth there hard earned money to actually live in a hurricane sturdy home. Eureka... Concrete he says, oh my luck, my stomach is feeling rather uneasy, poof... or shall i say poop, we have cutting edge architecture.

To even push all that aside and accept maybe the concrete itself or the home its self, I may be able to do, the lavish interior isn't horrible, but dont you think there should be some resemblance to its exterior. Oh wait there is... (referencing those pics from before)...This is what gets me, where the cold protective concrete meets the warm liveable house...pure crap

why do people form a website for this hous?, if you wanna fall for that shit at least go to bilboa and admire the detailing or at least whats left of it in the guggenhiem

Sep 23, 04 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
gringoSOUP

heres a spoon, eat my ass

Sep 23, 04 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"ive got something else you can swallow" - gringoSOUP

This statement ends my participation. Sorry to all readers who thought we might be able to have an intelligent (not to mention adult) discussion here.

Sep 23, 04 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

the discusson began as a simple statement on whether or not the domehome is a pleasant or worth the money, not on discussing alternatives to hurricane design.

i do not know why everyone is gettin all worked up over gringo's and my simple, blunt opinion on the topic of the domehome. if it sucks in my book, it sucks, and thats my opinion...and in this case it goes beyond that, 'it sucks' is a compliment.

this is what i think hapened... the architect was sitting at the beach one day enjoying a nice breeze and all of the sudden it stopped. he looked up and saw a rubenesque woman bending over windward. ive got it he says, ill build what resembles a monumental rump. imagine the concrete representing this rubenesque woman bending over with the only aboveground treatment being the concrete voluptous curve engulfing a toll brothers home.

comics aside, read 'the storm and the fall' by l. woods. page 46 i think, "should we build them again the way they were" can apply to a number of building types, esp on a coast. engage the building with the site. when nature shifts, man shifts, or is it the other way around. look at landart such as christo's running fence, or anything by goldsworthy....enough, im giving away too much

all gringo and i have pointed out is a glorious disaster of enginering and detailing. enjoy your weeklong rentals.

Sep 23, 04 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: