Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

arkitect.wannabe

hey everyone i'm planning to attend Syracuse's reception on Apr 9...is anyone else going?

does anyone know where i could stay the night before? im going there the night before from toronto so i'm just trying to plan out my trip... thanks!

Mar 18, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i should be getting my package from cranbrook within 2 weeks.... then i have to figure out how to raise the loot...

Mar 18, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

i'm heading to ann arbor tomorrow -- early start! spending a free day with my favorite law student ;)

for any fellow archinectors (?) that will be in attendance at the umich open house - i'm a short little lady with blonde hair that's getting long and some bangs. i'll be the person that's actually 23 but looks like she's 16. maybe just maybe i'll write 'missmeer' on any name tag i might be wearing. maybe!!

congrats again to the wealth of acceptances these past few days. so much for all the grumbling about increased numbers of applicants!

Mar 18, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
george

those going to GSAPP's open house, I started a facebook group called GSAPP M.Archers Fall 2009, add yourselves so we can get to meet each other there!!!

Mar 19, 09 12:20 am  · 
 · 
aa11

m arch II gsd in!

Mar 19, 09 1:34 am  · 
 · 
naij

congrat, aa11, i got in gsd m arch II as well...
sharing the same joy with you...

Mar 19, 09 4:00 am  · 
 · 

just figured out why i might not be getting anything from gsd... there was only a blank for my permanent address in the application, and not my current one in japan! ...and the parents are out of town :-/ i guess that just leaves even more waiting to be had! doh!

maybe i can convince our neighbor to check for me... hmm.....

Mar 19, 09 8:05 am  · 
 · 
jhk11

just got the "official" yale rejection letter. ouch. *really* nice paper though. damn. at least I have gsapp.

Mar 19, 09 9:50 am  · 
 · 

All right, as a New Yorker and semi-frequent traveller to both Boston and DC I just want to set the record straight.

Amtrak up and down the East coast corridor is timely and comfortable. And expensive.

There is a little less space on buses, but the point is that you're paying $12 to $15 (if you book Megabus long enough in advance, you can get tix for $1), instead of the $60 to $90 on Amtrak each way. There are MANY bus companies, ranging from the Fung Wah and Lucky Star Chinatown buses, to companies like the above mentioned Megabus or Bolt Bus. Greyhound is slightly more expensive, a little slower (sometimes) and the same experience.

As for the safety of those situations, it's fine. They're also perfectly clean. I think people like to adventurize the experience. You can have a pleasant or unpleasant experience on any mode of transportation.

Mar 19, 09 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Also, anyone going to the Berkeley reception on April 6?

Mar 19, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
thisisck

aa11, naij

congrats-

where are you located??

Mar 19, 09 10:42 am  · 
 · 
kaysc

just got an email from University of Florida... got in! and another email from Cornell too, but no money, so that's out. now just waiting on Penn and trying to decide between Clemson and UF... can't wait to get my yale rejection in the mail today!

congrats everyone and good luck to those still waiting!!

Mar 19, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

georgev-

how'd you find out SCI-Arc will be notifying "in the next week or so"?

on grad cafe, it looks like last year they didn't send out acceptances 'til april...

Mar 19, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
di-c

how do schools decide HOW to notify an applicant? for example, why does Yale send out rejections by email for some and letter to others?

just out of pure curiosity. and...also wondering if that's why my mit rejection is taking so long to arrive...

Mar 19, 09 11:30 am  · 
 · 
st1tch

another acceptance on thegradcafe.com for ubc. -_-

i wonder if they send out acceptances for international students separately from applicants within canada? I believe that the other acceptances have been for students residing in the us.

Mar 19, 09 11:42 am  · 
 · 
st1tch

i wonder if they send out acceptances for international students separately from applicants within canada? I believe that the other acceptances have been for students residing in the us.

· 
st1tch

· 
st1tch

oops. my computer is weird and posted 3 times. sorry

Mar 19, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 
fivestring

congrats aa11 and naij !

you going to the openhouse?

Mar 19, 09 11:51 am  · 
 · 
jhk11

di-c: I think they let us know (acceptances and rejections) both ways--for example, I got an email rejection and a letter rejection from Yale. Yes, ouch. And an acceptance call and a letter from UW. And an acceptance by email from GSAPP. Now I'm just waiting for that acceptance packet from UBC. That would be--hopefully an acceptance packet from UBC.

Mar 19, 09 11:52 am  · 
 · 
bartleby

Cincinnati is sending acceptance emails

Mar 19, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
ThomFink

Cincinnati is sending them right now? or they will be using emails as opposed to letters in the post?

Mar 19, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
bartleby

atomicvette: as in they're sending them now -- I've just received one!

Mar 19, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
pena

has anyone heard from parsons?

Mar 19, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
ThomFink

congrats bartleby!

Mar 19, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
george

My friend got into parsons, she got called.

hobopajamas- Actually I don;t know at all. I was optimistically guessing.

Mar 19, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

pena,

a few people got calls from parsons last week or the week before i believe

but they're still letting people know by phone as recently as saturday

Mar 19, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
stacksofpaper

mint waxed - I was also accepted to Cooper Union's MArch II (technologies). Have you visited? I wish I knew a little more about the program - everything I've read is fairly vague.

Mar 19, 09 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
sourdough

Congrats bartleby!
Was it a generic email, or does it look like they are being sent individually?

Mar 19, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

got my GSD package today.

GSD (maud) - in $
Yale (m arch ii) - in ?
Princeton (m arch ii) - out twice

Mar 19, 09 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
bartleby

sourdough: generic email with an individualized letter attached, so they're probably being sent out individually.

Mar 19, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

So 5f2b just heard today! Maybe there is still hope.

Mar 19, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
thisisck

i think m arch i's are done...

mine was for post-professional...

Mar 19, 09 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
theglow

arkitect.wannabe- ill probably be going to the Syracuse open house too. Trying to figure out my plan. I think ill be taking amtrak from Chicago but i have no idea where im going to stay. Same with UCLA. Does anyone know of a cheap hostel close-ish to the school?

Mar 19, 09 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

shit. nevermind. haha.

Mar 19, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Hey, it's awesome that many of you are getting into these incredible grad schools. Thinking about it, you all are such a great resources I need to tap!

I'm a third year and I know this application process is something that I'll have to deal with soon - would any of you be willing to post or send me a .pdf of your portfolio so I can get a sense of what I have to live up to in order to get into schools like GSD, Cornell, Princeton, Yale, or any other competitive ones?

I guess just post in this thread, send me a message on the boards, or email me at [email protected]

Thanks so much! =)

Mar 19, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
mikylee

still no word from Yale......

Mar 19, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

jk3hl,

I think if you look through the many pages in this thread, you can find lots of portfolios from all the applicants this year.

I think just in the last 5 pages or so there are several.

Some are downloadable PDFs and some are posted on sites like Flickr.

Good luck!!!

Mar 19, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
collinrobertanderson

mikylee--me neither. And it is killing me slowly.

Mar 19, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
chaz7

do we think uc berkeley is done?

Mar 19, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

how could it be done? are there only 5 people in the march class?

Mar 19, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

As for fall 2006, CAL accepted 42 students out of 632 applicants (6.6%)

Mar 19, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

is that cal stat serious?

has anyone heard financial aid info from texas or berkeley?

Mar 19, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
george

For some reason I think that early applications at Pratt get reviewed later.

Mar 19, 09 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

it's stat from wikipedia...
juut, since you got in, why don't give them a call?

Mar 19, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
sourdough

Official rejection from GSAPP. yay at least I can stop wondering.

The tally thusfar

UW-Milwaukee: In (2/14)
UofO (portland): In (3/13)
GSAPP: Out
GSD: ??? Still trickling in, gotta keep the faith
UPenn: Early yet
U of Cincy: ?
Rice: ?

If anyone else applied to Rice, spoke to admissions office yesterday and results should be sent out by the end of the week.

Mar 19, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

comeeeeeee onnnnnnnnn cincyyyyy! show me the goods

any $$ bartleby?

Mar 19, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

favor to ask -

would those going to ucla and/or ut-austin open houses be willing to write a brief summary of the events??? i can't make it to either but am trying to make a decision between the two...

Mar 19, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
fleuron

anyone traveling from DC to the UVA open house?

i'm taking the much maligned chinatown bus from NYC to DC and probably renting a car from there to Charlottesville. looking to share the car expense if the timing works out with somebody. i'm an MLA, but i don't bite.

also.... my favorite chinatown bus experience involved being one seat short for the # of passengers and the driver putting a folding lawn chair in the aisle for the extra rider.

Mar 19, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
naij

5f2b, i am in Los Angeles

Mar 19, 09 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: