Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

what is the data for gsd?

Mar 14, 09 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

and ysoa?

Mar 14, 09 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

80 pages... holy canolies batman

mine was 5 pages of projects and 4-5pages of resume/info/text..

total of 10 or so with a cover....

simple/short/sweet and to the point...

Mar 14, 09 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

mine was only 30 pages, but was enhanced with the scent of musk:

Add a charming touch to your portfolio by scenting your stock. Place the portfolio in a resealable plastic bag. Place two or three drops of your favorite essential oil (rosemary would be great for Yale) on a cotton ball and carefully place it in the plastic bag but not on top of the portfolio. This works well when you lay the bag flat in a cupboard or on a shelf where it won't be bothered. Seal the bag and wait! This doesn't take long to scent the portfolio-check again in a week. Rose oil is also a lovely scent to try, as is lavender. But use musk for the wow factor.

Mar 14, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

GSD - http://www.archinect.com/schoolblog/entry.php?id=44139_0_39_0_C

not current but you get the idea

Mar 14, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

out of curiosity, is m.arch 2 harder to get into than m.arch 1?

Mar 14, 09 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
never nude

yale had 60ish students last year in m.arch 1, and i think the class size was comparable the couple years before.
bad news for m.arch 2's... only 16. so sounds a lot harder, but i have no idea what the proportion of m.arch 1/2 applicants is

Mar 15, 09 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

nice suggestion 10,
have you watched the movie, 'Perfume: The story of Murderer'? or read a book ? I really should invent alluring scent for those yale people to love and lick my portfolio...

Mar 15, 09 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Gosh, this thread brings back memories...

Through the grapevine I have heard the GSD experienced a 40-50% increase in number of applications this year, so it's an intense year to be applying fellas...

Usually MDesS are earlier, final round of MArch admissions committee was just held 2 weeks ago so it may take a bit longer to trickle out...

Good luck ppl, too bad I won't be seeing you all since I'm graduating and outta here.

Well, maybe I'll be hanging around, jobless =(

Mar 15, 09 4:58 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

So it seems like the weekend was a bit of a break for all of us. Now lets collectively look forward to the GSD onslaught in the coming days.

Mar 15, 09 10:52 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

Oops, forget what I said - UCB is out and on the prowl.

Mar 15, 09 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

Yikes who calls on a sunday? Be on the lookout for '510'.

Mar 15, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
tarheelbred

And who's about to fall asleep on a Sunday morning...?

Mar 15, 09 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

It was an international student - could be anywhere in the world.

Mar 15, 09 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

so that admitted ucb student is international, two-year program, received a fellowship...do you guys think we can assume that they haven't started releasing the regular m.arch I three-year decisions yet?

Mar 15, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Do they give money to international students? I thought it's not possible.

Mar 15, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

nothing is impossible if they like/want you that badly.

Mar 15, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

received my UWM acceptance packet on friday but i didn't know till now cause it went to my parents place for some reason. not really surprised of course to get accepted but i think there were a few people on here who were wondering when they'd here from them.

Mar 15, 09 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

so...nobody (except maybe one) really heard from berkeley today right? and he was m.arch i option 2...

Mar 15, 09 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey amnesiac, is uwm your alma mater?

Mar 15, 09 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

another berkeley posting on gradcafe, also an international student. have any u.s. applicants heard?

Mar 15, 09 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

on friday afternoon, while driving up to mammoth for a "let's take your mind off admissions" weekend of snowboarding, i happened to check my email from the boyf's blackberry...

dreams do come true-
I GOT INTO UCLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thus, my weekend turned into a celebration rather than a distraction!

Mar 15, 09 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
GiantClam

inigojonesin, I am a CA resident and applied to UCB and havent heard anything. But I know someone in the area who applied for the joint M.Arch/MLA who heard via email last week.

hobo- congrats, thats great!

Mar 15, 09 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
jimmyarch

Here's an interesting site pertaining to the 10 Best Architecture Graduate Programs and their rankings, from 2007:

http://www.architectmagazine.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1006&articleID=602887

I thought it would help pass the time until Monday...

Mar 15, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

why don't we talk about this

Mar 15, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

nothing from UCB... I only live 3 blocks away from CED...
would it be the stupidist idea if i walk to the office tomorrow to find out?????

Mar 15, 09 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
stuzzzzie

Congrats hobo. Going to the open house?

Mar 15, 09 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

hobo - congrats, maybe i'll see you there in the fall. the funny part of your story is how it is a self-described "take your mind off admissions" trip but you are checking your e-mail on your phone while on the way there. i can relate.

Mar 15, 09 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

will DEFINITELY be at the UCLA open house! anybody else notice how they call it a "student recruitment" open house on the PDF?

my mom says that a "thick packet" already arrived, will have to make the 50mile+ round trip to sleepy thousand oaks tomorrow after work to pick it up. i'm signing my acceptance and mailing it back A.S.A.P.

still waiting to hear from berkeley, SCI-Arc, and cal poly - pomona ... but who cares!? i'm going to be a bruin once again.

on the PDF attached to my admissions email it says i am "missing" the history of architecture pre-req ... but i completed jump start last summer and took AUD10B - history of arch (baroque to contemporary), which i thought fulfilled the history requirement. will have to contact the admissions office tomorrow.

Mar 15, 09 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

hobopjs - nice work.

Hey, has anybody hear a peep from Georgia Tech?

Mar 16, 09 12:21 am  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

hobopj, i went to jumpstart this past summer too...whose studio were you in?

Mar 16, 09 1:20 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

Do we still think Princeton is notifying? I kinda gave up hope after that first day but it seems there's only 3 admitted to march1 on gradcafe and 1 post-professional.

That (plus a few more admits here) compared to Yale's 20ish admits on gradcafe makes me believe would-be Princeton apps should not give up hope yet :)

I wish anyways

Mar 16, 09 1:45 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

Oh, and just for completeness' sake: MIT has 7 march1 admits so far.

Of course not everyone who gets in will report, but it seems like march applicants are a pretty plugged in crowd and considering the deluge of yale posts I would assume others would give similar numbers if they were finished.

Mar 16, 09 1:48 am  · 
 · 

unfortunately i've given up a good amount of hope for MIT after not getting in in the initial wave. still a glimmer of hope that they might have an additional wave of applicants, but i'm getting prepared for the worst. mainly because i know they have a smaller program number-wise... the odds are against.

but you never really know. last year someone was accepted a few weeks after the initial wave. so anything is possible until we hear a big fat NO. not uncrossing my fingers quite yet!

Mar 16, 09 2:30 am  · 
 · 
mr. will

I was accepted to MIT.

Mar 16, 09 6:17 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

hope my painful waiting days will end today

Mar 16, 09 7:28 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

watanabe :
i have a friend who got into MIT and didnt post anywhere.
i think there would be plenty of people like him.... around the world.... :(
so there probably is much more than 7 people that got into MIT at this point..

but still.... fingers crossed!!!!! :)

Mar 16, 09 8:01 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

someone posted a princeton acceptance call on grad cafe this morning.... maybe there are more to come!

Mar 16, 09 8:40 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

sirgemhl: exactly; I don't assume that those are the ONLY people who got in, but still, given that yale had 20 reports off the bat I would think that we would see similar numbers given that the people applying are probably pretty similar/read the same boards/etc.

That, or I'm just trying to create some false hope!

Good luck to everyone as things start back up again in a few hours.

Mar 16, 09 8:43 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

Someone posted "princeton admission" by phone call on thegradcare..
Is there still hope...!! (isn't it 8 in the morning btw...)

Mar 16, 09 8:45 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

ahh this is just too painfullllllllll....
maybe i should take some sleeping pills and wake up when this is all over...

watanabe: sorry i didnt even read the whole comment of yours... and i believe the hope is real!

Mar 16, 09 8:46 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

is there anyone who accepted by any school and still doesn't satisfy prerequisite courses?

Mar 16, 09 8:51 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

I got into U of Michigan and in my acceptance letter (with a 12.5k scholarship) I was notified I need to complete:

1. 2nd studio art course
2. Calculus course
3. Physics course with lab I

Luckily I have 1 more semester before I graduate, unluckily that semester ends July 27th, and Michigan's summer semester begins June 29th. I asked about deferring and Schoen was very nice about it, if I don't get into any of my other picks (which all start in September) I will begin my deferral process and take care of all those pre-req's before summer '10 at a community college when I relocate to the states.

Mar 16, 09 8:56 am  · 
 · 
sakurani

watanabe: thank you for your kind reply. I have exactly same situation as you and I'm not hearing from any school yet..so extremely nervous... your acceptance gave me a little relief.. it seems they don't reject students because of that...

Mar 16, 09 8:59 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

gsd advised to do pre-req with berkeley online courses which can be done anytime, anywhere...

( i can't do them in my home university as we don't do the US system, if you want to do physics, you have to a four year B.Sc.)

Mar 16, 09 9:10 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

Should note that UofMich refuses to accept any online courses; not sure how many other universities are the same. Thanks for the tip though, if I get in somewhere else I'll be sure to check that out.

Mar 16, 09 9:15 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

j'aime, did you get into the GSD already or is that the answer you received to a previous question?

Mar 16, 09 9:21 am  · 
 · 
ZeroPulse

Does anyone have any news regarding UPenn? It seems last year they were mailing out their acceptance and rejection letters .. I was wondering if they are going to be doing the same this year...

Mar 16, 09 9:33 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

recieved months ago....unfortunately no contact as of yet!

Mar 16, 09 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Parallaxe

Zero,

I received an email from Joan Weston @ UPenn on 2/28. It was just a reminder to fill out my FAFSA, but the email also said that they would mail out decision letters on 3/23.

I thought it was a mass email...did anyone else who applied to Penn get a similar email?

Mar 16, 09 9:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: