Archinect
anchor

brad pitt and ayn rand in the same thread? madness...

xacto
ohmygosh

that can't be for real ... is it?

Mar 25, 08 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Brad Pitt as John Galt?!
holy crap.
wouldn't suprise me though.

Mar 25, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I really hope this isn't true. People will inevitably associate Brad with Rand with The Fountainhead and it will set architects - real architects, who really do good architecture - way back in how the general public perceives us. Yikes.

Mar 25, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

That's possible liberty bell, but I really don't think the public cares that much about architecture, nor Pitt and Rand's tangential connection to it to really impact anything.

Mar 25, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

'atlas shrugged' has nothing to do with architecture and is a much more complex book than 'the fountainhead'. if they play it right, this movie could bring out the adventure aspect of the book. i could see it being a movie of the scale and visual overload of 'twelve monkeys' or 'brazil'. get terry gilliam!

Mar 25, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

everyone hurry up and read the book before the movie places an preconceived image in your mind about it....

that being said, I'm glad I've already read Atlas...it's a thickass book but I thoroughly enjoyed it

Mar 26, 08 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

If the book is anywhere near as trippy as Brazil was as a movie i must read it.

Mar 26, 08 12:52 am  · 
 · 

i don't know that it's 'trippy' exactly, but it has the potential to have some cool retro-futurism aspects to it. a lot of it is about industries that are not nearly as dominant as they were when rand wrote the book: rail, steel, etc.

but the basic premise is still pretty intriguing: what if a small number of people who were largely responsible for keeping the country running (mostly because of their key positions in the infrastructure/economy) were to just drop out and disappear?

the movie could stay true to the story and dagny taggart could still control the railroads, but that would be less relevant to today's viewers. it would almost be a period piece, really.

so who would those people be now? the guys at google? those who maintain server farms? stock traders? who is john galt....now?

i guess an easy answer is that we've seen it happen already. witness forbes' reporting of the various bankers' golf schedules during the recent sub-prime mortgage disasters. a classic drop-out/fiddle while rome burns scenario. but that wouldn't make a very interesting movie...

Mar 26, 08 6:44 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I actually think the railroads are just as key to our economy now as they were then--it's just that they're sort of quieter and in the background more. But we still ship much (if not the majority? i would need to look this up) of our large overland goods by rail (building supplies, cars, raw materials, etc.). And in fact the rails are probably controlled by even fewer people/conglomerates today than they were a century ago. UP west of the Mississippi, for example...

I guess I'm saying that if you were to imagine a total shut down of the economy, the rails would probably still have to factor into that. I'm not sure that if Google shut down the economy would freeze.

It's an interesting thing to ponder!
I wonder about the airlines, or jet travel in general? That's key, but not controlled by one single entity. I guess bankers would have to be involved, because everything needs money. How about agribusiness? Food distribution?

I haven't read the book so I'm not sure how the breakdown occurs.

Mar 26, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

*UP pretty much runs everything west of the Mississippi, for example

Mar 26, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

atlas shrugged is one of the longest freakin books ever.

Mar 26, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

What if archinect shut down - what would happen to the economy then?

Mar 26, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

being honest
i was hoping for her book
"Anthem" its one of my favorites

Mar 26, 08 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
What if archinect shut down - what would happen to the economy then?

Productivity would skyrocket only to have it plummet the following day as ADD addled architects look for other sources of entertainment while things are slow at work.

Mar 27, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
SandRoad

"...but the basic premise is still pretty intriguing: what if a small number of people who were largely responsible for keeping the country running (mostly because of their key positions in the infrastructure/economy) were to just drop out and disappear? ..."

That is undoubtedly the worst description of the premise of "Atlas Shrugged" that I have ever read.

Re-read the 50+ page John Galt speech, which occurs well into the novel, and see if you still think the premise is about things like infrastructure control.

Mar 27, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I gave myself one year to read, "Atlas Shrugged." Truth be told I never finished it to many other good books to read.

Mar 27, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: