Archinect
anchor

blame your parents for your miserable childhood thread

mdler

This is a thread to release all that pent up anger that you have towards your parents for the things that they either did or didn't do to you as a child

Mar 6, 08 12:47 pm
mdler

mom, dad

I wish you would have let me taken those ballet lessons when I was seven. Maybe then I would have been a male ballerina instead of an architect

Mar 6, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

dearest mom and dad-

I'm happy that you saved me from watching gilligans island and the brady bunch, but I really should have been allowed to watch the smurfs. now that I've grown up, I'm a landscape architect trying to create villages out of psychedelic mushrooms!

Mar 6, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dear mom

thanks for breastfeeding me well into my teens...no, really

Mar 6, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I read somewhere recently that white people, by default, hate their parents.

In that case

Dad,

Thanks for always being gone out of the country when I needed you most.

Mom,

Thanks for always being on my ass like Kyle's mom out of South Park.

But seriously i still love you.

Mar 6, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

apu, i think you might be on to something. or at least hatred for one parent or the other.

Mar 6, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
It's only natural

Mar 6, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

wow, treekiller, I didn't realize that anyone else's parents wouldn't let them watch smurfs! It was banned in my house, too.

Mar 6, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

mammy and pappa.....my life was miserable growing up.....do you think I might be able to move home for a couple of months while I
put my life back together?

Mar 6, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio
liberty bell

If I can be half as incredible at parenting as my parents were, my son will be just fine.

Those of you without kids, revisit this topic if you ever have them.

But, in the spirit of not killing a fun thread because I happen to have cool parents, I'll post one mortifying event: my mom wouldn't let me go see Judas Priest in concert because she didn't like their name. How embarassing.

Mar 6, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

All I want is a Pepsi, but she wouldn't give it to me.

Mar 6, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Hatin' on my folks was done in jest too, for the record.

Mar 6, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

My parents had the cable guy block MTV and nothing else. He had to come out and put a device on the cable box in the back yard. My friend and I got tired of it, so we went on a mission to remove it. We succeeded. My parent's just thought it came back on its own, and since it was off for a few years, they felt it was ok to have it back. Phew.

Mar 6, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

"Heaven knows I'm miserable now."
Mar 6, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

So that's what that guy was sayin' in that song. That song kicked my ass on Guitar Hero.

Mar 6, 08 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Can anger towards siblings count too? Thank big brothers for never letting my get a word in edge wise and telling me my ideas were stupid or I didn't know anything and that I was always wrong b/c I was a girl and I was too young. But hey, at least I can deal with the uber boys and only want to kill them part of the time.

Mar 6, 08 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

one for lb

"We both know what memories can bring: they bring diamonds and rust."

Judas Priest doing Joan Baez: now I've heard everything.

Mar 6, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL tuna!

Mar 6, 08 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

my mom was like forest gumps girlfriend...really lived in the 60's and 70's...and well, the 80's too...so she never felt qualified to judge us - and believed we should make our own stupid mistakes...which was both cool and scary cus we sorta had to figger a lotta shit on our own. not sure if that was good or bad...

funny, gramma tried to ban the smurfs cuz she is evangelical christian too...but mum thought it was silly although she had same beliefs...she figgered we had to decide for ourselves if we wanted go to hell or not...isn't that sweet? anyway...we got to watch the demonic little blue things. i suspect god didn't mind. what more could you ask for from parents than that?

personally i try to be like my dad. parenting is hard job. i sooo understand him now.

Mar 7, 08 5:08 am  · 
 · 

Most people say that they are their toughest critic, but naw its you Dad. I know you wanted me to get married and have 3 kids, wear a suit to work, be like my sister, go into finance or be a doctor, but I can't. Mom you love me the way I am, nurtured my love for nature, art, etc. But because of you mum no woman will ever measure up to what I know...so married or true love is unlikely. Thanks

Mar 7, 08 8:01 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

my folks didn't have anything against the smurfs, I was only allowed to watch PBS - no cartoons, sitcoms, afterschool specials, or prime time dramas in the TK household.

Mar 7, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think the only things my folks banned was late night HBO, I almost always remeber watching t.v. with my mom and never had a t.v. in my room.

Mar 7, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

i was a military brat traveling from country to
country every three years, i could never have
seen the smurfs, all i had was foriegn cartoons,
birdman, and spaceghost

Mar 7, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It is kind of funny, cause my older sister sent me a picture of my mom this past week. The picture was taken in 1968.....yikes she
is younger than me in the picture. I can't imagine all the problems
my 5 siblings and myself must have caused her. Funny thing is her
and my dad did one hell of a job raising all of us. It is funny cause
were all over the place and they somehow managed to deal with each and everyone of us an individuals and helped us along the way become our own beings.

Mar 7, 08 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

If you hate your parents that much you could always leave home.

Mar 7, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I loved watching Dragonball in spanish living in Peru.

Mar 7, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love this thread. I also like my mom a lot more when I don't live anywhere near her, which means I like her quite a lot right now. (We're just totally different people....it's not her fault....entirely...)

Mar 7, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Sorry about all these song posts, but I think it's always nice to say it with music. This one always gets to me.

Mar 7, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Don't really listen to Dave Matthews Band much but this seems to fit the thread topic.

Mar 7, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké
how i remember my childhood

Mar 7, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

That's funny and disturbing at the same time.

The most life changing thing my parents did is move me to this country when I was very young: still not sure whether that was the best thing or the worst thing they could have done (probably a bit of both).

Mar 7, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

da,

thanks for being an alcoholic. thanks for never being there. thanks for never leading by example. thanks for not showing me what it means to be a man. oh yeah, thanks for burning me with that pot of boiling water you were making for coffee.

your loving son.

Mar 8, 08 5:55 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

white people love to talk about their family.

even through they leave home at 15.

Mar 8, 08 6:10 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Can I blame them for not inheriting a ton of money? I am sure I can blame my grandparents, at least.

Mar 8, 08 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh my god phuyaka! Are you my long lost brother or something?

My dad was totally like that.

Mar 8, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, and that's pretty fucked up beta...

Mar 8, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

Hey sameold, 15? That's pretty young, dude. I thought that for most people it's 18 when they leave for college...and some of them end up coming back after college.

Mar 8, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

...alot of them end up coming back after college.

Mar 8, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well if you're upset with mom and dad you can burn your money that they gave ya and go to alaska and die in an abandoned bus...

Mar 8, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Speaking of which, I thought Emile Hirsch was great in that role but was totally dissed (as was the whole movie): he should have at least been nominated.

Mar 8, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Here's what Hal Holbrook, the only actor from the film who was given an Oscar nod, said:

"Holbrook also has high praise for Hirsch, who lost 40 pounds for the role. "[His performance] was a brilliant piece of work. ... An actor takes his performance from other actors, and in this case it was easy," he says, adding that "I'm astounded he wasn't nominated -- he deserved it more than anybody." "

And Holbrook is no slouch at acting.

Mar 8, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hmm, what i was trying to say was, that the most 'detached' families I have seen are american families. Call it independence or detachment.

The paradox is american kids LOVE to talk about their childhood and families in public settings (or, well, internet forums).

Mar 8, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes emil should have been nominated. the other big diss was paul dano not being nominated for his role as the healing preacher in there will be blood. time for a milkshake.

Mar 8, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

Ned (Kingsley) Plimpton (Zissou): "Why didn't you ever try to contact me?"
Steve Zissou: "Because I hate fathers, and I never wanted to be one."

shel silverstein is something awesome. i still have 'where the sidewalk ends' in my bookshelf.

Jun 18, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

dear mom and dad

thank you for not buying me the car you promised me after
graduation.

Mom,
thank you for taking me out of band to put me in avid, even
though i was first chair every week in middle school

Dad,
thanks for letting mom take me out of band to put me in avid,
even though i was first chair every week in middle school

ok, im done

Jun 18, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

Phil, if i might ask: what is avid?

school band...now there is a topic that deserves a high-quality thread.

you're looking at a first chair bass clarinetist here...

Jun 18, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

avid was a program to help average kids that gets Bs and Cs, get As and Bs - and no it didnt work

mfrech - my fellow first-chair musician, a school band thread would be excellent, actually we were just talking about saxophones (im a saxophonist) over at Thread central.

Jun 18, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
poncedeleonel

Ma~e, pai-

Thank you for preparing me for architect-contractor disagreements. These people don't even throw pots and pans. Weak.

Jun 18, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

ah, i see...well that definitely sucks. was it alto sax? (not to double-up your saxothreading or anything!)

Jun 18, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

yea, alto

Jun 18, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: