Archinect
anchor

curriculum vitae vs. resume -

Evil Mayan Midget God

What distinguishes one from the other and when is one or the other most appropriately used?

Sep 10, 04 5:11 pm
.dwg

i take it that the CV is for outlining your work and educational experiences including all your scholarships, exhibits, and distinctions. and it can also list special courses that you've taken that might detail your area of interest in your work.

and resume... is for work and employers to look at for your skills and past work experience as a reference to how you will be in their workplace...

but that's just me.

Sep 10, 04 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

same thing. usually people from outside of the US say cv and pretentious people inside the US say cv.

If you're applying to a job, do some research and see which they prefer and then name your file whatever. or refer to it as whatever.

Sep 10, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

In the U.S.

A c.v. is kind of a catalog of what you have accomplished, where a resume is a synopsis of your experience and skills.

In general, a Resume is used to get a typical job, where a c.v. is used to get grants, commissions, academic positions, or jobs with non-profits.

Sep 12, 04 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

resume - should be a summary of professional qualifications (school & work)

cv - tends to be more comprehensive - skills, accomplishments, awards et al.

but they are usually interchangeable

Sep 13, 04 8:39 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

agree with all of the above. However, due to the comprehensive nature of the CV they can become extremely long. There was a guy here that interviewed for a dean position that had a 73 page CV. Obviously a CV of this length would not be interchangeable with a resume. I'd like to see an employees reaction to a resume of that length.

Sep 13, 04 9:54 am  · 
 · 
pencrush

That's interesting JAG/jam-arch, obviously there is a more substantial difference between the two.

I kind of feel like brian frels is proving my point though. Anyone who has a 73 page cv needs and editor, or someone to knock down their ego.. come on, 73 pages?

Sep 13, 04 10:07 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

lol

well I usually send a one page resume when I know there is a interview being offered, then I can submit my cv (which is broken in summarized sections; education, employment, project list) It allows them to pick, choose, and navigate

Sep 13, 04 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: