Archinect
anchor

drafter vs. architect

outthere

This may sound like an obvious question but in a few words or sentences what is the difference between an architect and a drafter?

Jan 22, 08 7:27 am

'drafter' can be used in different ways:
1) to describe simply someone doing the task of drafting,
2) to describe a position in an architecture office in which you're not yet managing your own projects but mostly just drawing them, maybe helping review shop drawings, other project-related tasks assigned to you by someone else. this is usually just a step on the ladder up,
or
3) a longer-term position in an architecture office occupied by someone who never completed an architectural education and therefore isn't eligible for licensure but still may have deep skills based on experience.

'architect' is someone with an architectural education and a registration, someone who can presumably do everything it takes to get a project designed and documented for construction - the client's representative and facilitator in getting a project built.

overly simplified, but there it is.

Jan 22, 08 7:42 am  · 
 · 

some of my classmates who didn't go on to get a pro degree are working as technicians in large offices...basically doing drafting. they won't likely go on to become architects, and in spite of their considerable knowledge are not qualified to.

in the small offices i worked in there was no such thing as a drafter. everyone was an architect or on their way to becoming one. not sure if that is normal, but i have thought the computer is reducing the stratification that used to be more common. maybe that is not correct?

Jan 22, 08 8:29 am  · 
 · 

seems right. the time small offices can afford to allow drafters to remain drafters is shrinking at least. they gotta drop 'em in the soup quick.

Jan 22, 08 8:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
StArThErE!
Jan 22, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: