Mar 30, 08 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

let us revive this thread

Oct 22, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

this is a great thread.

SDR, i wish i would have seen that cooper union project 5 years earlier. in my 2nd year of undergrad i designed a library addition that explored a similar idea. i'll dig through my stuff and see if i can find a drawing of it to post (which were pencil on mylar).

Oct 22, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I'm not sure if these made it on the thread yet, but all of Lequeu's archive is scanned and posted here: http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/catalog.php?Fonds=Fonds_Lequeu

The site is annoying because they don't have thumbnails.

[img width=415]http://www.spamula.net/blog/i32/lequeu02.jpg[/img]

If he gets to use pink poche, then I get to use pink poche!

Oct 22, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Oct 22, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

reminds me a bit of...

boullee's cenotaph for isaac newton

Oct 22, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

throw some retail on the periphery of that stadium, and you've got the least obtrusive stadium in america...

Oct 22, 08 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The contrast between the two examples above is amusing. Sort of Po-mo vs. Mo ?

Oct 22, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

Drawing connects me to childhood, when one simply drew whatever the hell one wanted. So, apologies for lowering the standard here after such great images, but I just recently scanned some stuff out of an old sketchbook. I was walking across a place called the Carse of Stirling... an expanse of rolling low-land bordered by mountains and a Big Sky. I think on a recent summer holiday I'd visited those salt mines at Arc-et-Senans with buildings and drawings by Ledoux(?) - similar period/idea to Boullee above:

The Ledoux original:

Oct 23, 08 7:51 am  · 
 · 

erk... I'll try again... maybe it's just my browser

Oct 23, 08 7:55 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

nice sketches solidred.

Oct 23, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

while not specifically drawing related, i wanted to share with you the bizarre, colorful glass compositions and - drawings - of dale chihuly:

Nov 16, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i have no idea what just happened there

Nov 16, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Nov 16, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

huh? okay, it's rigged

Nov 16, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Aww -- we want to see. Try again ?

Nov 16, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd just try the link...

Nov 17, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

A little Chihuly goes a long way, for me. (Maybe the Archinect site has a screen-damage color-filter utility ?) Chihuly is allegedly a jerk. I can say that because we share an alma mater. . .

Given that, the work is a bravura tour-de-force, I'll admit.

Nov 17, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

**bumb**

and

more images and info

Jan 23, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

let's revive this thread ... I always enjoy viewing the images posted here:

Feb 10, 09 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
n400

right-click, copy and paste link in new window for bigger

Dave Prosser via Drawn!

Feb 10, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

very cool.

Feb 10, 09 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
n400

This blog is great for hand drawings:

http://www.urbansketchers.com/

Feb 11, 09 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

n400 ... great link ... thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Feb 11, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i would say that zak smith is easily my current favorite sketch artist:

http://www.roadofknives.com/images/redux/049.jpg width=340

http://www.roadofknives.com/images/redux/001.jpg width=340

http://fredericksfreisergallery.com/zaxart/sketchbook/Pixie%20Pearl.jpg width=340

http://www.partykausa.com/zaksmith/images/zak_002.jpg width=

he's incredibly prolific. i suppose i could draw that well, but i don't possess whatever compulsion exists to do that much work, though i wish i did.

Jun 17, 09 8:30 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

wtf?

oh

sorry it's early

Jun 17, 09 8:31 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Victor Timofeev:

Jun 17, 09 9:40 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Maybe we need to borrow an idea that's working beautifully [pun intended] in another thread: a stream-of-consciousness connection between one image or group, and another ?

Jun 17, 09 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

That's an idea for a chair, by the way.

So -- maybe not a necessary gimmick, to choose images based on something in a previous drawing -- but -- anything to encourage continuation of the thread !

Jun 17, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

maybe. although, if people come up with random ideas, they could start the chain over again. it's too bad they never put one of those red things next to it.

Jun 17, 09 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

NOTE:

I have been informed by architect Thomas Silva, now practicing in San Francisco, that the student project titled "Men's Shelter on the Bowery," which I posted above, is his work solely, and not that of classmate Martin Finio, whose project of the same name is published separately in the volume mentioned. The attribution error was mine, due to careless reading of the credits at the back of the book. My apologies to Mr Silva.

Aug 16, 09 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Ben Grasso's paintings. I saw some of his work at the Whitney show a few years back and have been following him since. Amazing work.

Aug 18, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
file
Aug 19, 09 9:04 am  · 
 · 
distant

more images of a similar nature here: Art Deco California

Aug 19, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

My camera has a build in "face reconision" this is the faces it reconise.
It also has an auto "Make-Up" function, now it's not a new camera and the beautifyer don't work as efficient as modern cameras do, it do not add lips red and eye shaddow nearly as agressive as a modern camera, guess I should be glad about that.

Here a smaller one made before the one in the top, these StreetArt pieces do have a particular impac.

Jun 1, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
dzahsh

rndrd.com

Jun 12, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I am very partial to this delicious image, a 1929 lithograph by Louis Lozowick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Lozowick

Jun 12, 10 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd like to introduce a new artist of a different medium, richard notkin:

he works with ceramic tiles, and also chinese yixing inspired teapots

that's a great image though. great light.

Jun 12, 10 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks, bossman. The new Chinese subversives (as I think of them) are sure shaking things up. I hadn't seen this artist before. . .

Jun 12, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah, I sent that Lozowick image to a painter friend of mine, and she thought it was a photograph. Don't know what that says about it, or her. . .

Jun 12, 10 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

it's the lighting. that's key.

Jun 12, 10 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah, it's pretty intense. And the subtleties of shading, like the translucency of the milky tea (?) and the various tones of the white cup, are convincing -- and must be difficult to achieve in the waxing of the lithography stone ?

Jun 12, 10 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Endooo

Hope it's not too big.

That would be a charcoal drawing by Adam Kolodziej, one of the more eccentric profs at my school. Unsurprisingly, he teaches a hand drawing/rendering course.

Jun 12, 10 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks Endoo -- sized just right, I guess. Almost wish I could see a close-up detail. . . Looks like an interesting drawing.

There's an architect in Sausalito named Barry Peterson. Does these great drawings with charcoal and other stuff -- printer toner, melted with solvents of some kind. And just the most beautiful strokes. I'll see if I can find some.

Jun 12, 10 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
le bossman

here's a sketch i made earlier last year. it's a picture of some computer cords. my desk was a makeshift saw-horse type, in front of a huge window. you can see the ground behind the desk.

why post it now? well, just because.

Jan 17, 11 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm gonna make it bigger

Jan 17, 11 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

for your viewing pleasure

Jan 17, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

I love this thread ...

Jan 17, 11 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Nice, bossman -- lotsa marks in that drawing ! Yeah, I go to width=420.

Quite a pile, the SO bldg. Suppose we could admire an occasional photo on the drawing thread. Haven't often seen a subtle two-color "monochrome" image like this one. Guess they wanted to highlight the subject structure ?

Jan 17, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: