Archinect
anchor

Nudity and Architecture

lopaka

My Classmate is trying to build a thesis that analyzes nudity and architecture. The topic emphasizes the role aesthetics plays in this broad relationship.

She is currently thinking about:

Desensitization of public nudity vs desensitization of architecture

What are some other comparisons that can be made between nudity and architecture?

How does perception of the individual effect aesthetics in this case?

Does anyone know of any good books or publications?

Thanks

Nov 11, 07 4:08 pm

Marcel Duchamp and C. Paul Jennewein, "Nudist Camp at the Philadelphia Museum of Art" (Philadelphia: Quondam, 2005.03.20), unpublished.

Nov 11, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Michelangelo, Ignudi Pediment Project (Philadelphia: Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2005.01.13).

Ignudi Pediment Project in context with Duchamp's The Bride Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors, Even.

Nov 11, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
swamprat

sounds like you need to take a jeff kipnis class

Nov 11, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

my boss had a playboy photo shoot in his West Village penthouse...

Nov 11, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

yeah "your classmate"...right

Nov 11, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

there was a book about sex and architecture a few years ago. i can't remember its name, but it was a feminist book (i think)....i think the subject has been dealt with many times so you should be able to find something, if not a lot, with google.

of course there is always that french guy who made a sex ed building with the plan in the shape of a penis. can't remember his name, but it was turn of the last century....

how is that for a vague answer?

Nov 11, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Jump - are you thinking of Ledoux's Oikema? And the book might be the one that Diana Agrest edited a few years ago.

To the next poster: please no photos of Corbusier bathing at Cap Martin.

Nov 11, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
JordanS

I know that building, I think it was Ledoux, but I thought the building was a gentelmans club.

While in school in NY one of my professors was required to draw nude models every week using charcoal.

Nov 11, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux reenacting Piranesi

, plus a link to "Sexual Architecture??".

Nov 12, 07 8:00 am  · 
 · 

in delirious New York, OMA talks about the BAC (I think) the hypothetical men's club/condo

but there's also the work of vito acconci, who would be the exemplary use of a nude architect

Nov 12, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Way back in 1999-2000, a lot of work was being done on the relationship between fashion and architecture. Mostly it was pretty stupid, but it did cause many to revisit Gottfried Semper's Principle of Bekleidung, which related architectural cladding to something akin to clothing. It's more complicated than that obviously, but it might be worth looking at if you are still trying to do research for your friend's thesis.

Nov 12, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 

and since then there was the nearly-contemporary work by portzamparc on louis vuitton and shop on the museum of sex. a lot of the articles around that time seemed to be about the potential for sexiness, seductiveness, sensuality, etc in architecture - a topic we might think about but that doesn't always get talked about in print.

Nov 12, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

"way back in 1999-2000" -- God, that makes me feel old !

Nov 12, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what do you guys think about nude beaches? in theory i love the idea of being free & hanging out buck-naked in the bright sunshine. but on the other hand i really love my tan lines...what's the point of having a good tan if you can't compare it to you own white bare ass?

Nov 12, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
lopaka

You make a strong point

Nov 12, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I love rubbing my naked, sweaty ass up against a huge pane of glass

Nov 12, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
lopaka

Interesting, yet irrelevant + a little creepy... good job though

Nov 12, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

yeah that was it. ledoux the puritan who tought it was the duty of society to teach people about sex...or something like that....

Nov 12, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Dsingh

Are there any other suggested readings in relation to this topic. I'm also researching about this, but am unable to find much relevent information. Also, has the thesis been uploaded yet? Is it available as a reference anywhere online?

Jul 29, 24 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is a 17 year old discussion. What research have you done thus far before relying on a lazy forum question?

Jul 29, 24 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: