Archinect
anchor

Underground Rap

ArchChick03

Has anyone heard any of this underground rap that has emerged in the past few years? The artists make up raps of the top of their heads which they call freestyling. Then there is chopped and screwed music. Chopped meaning a certain part of the song repeated and screwed meaning that the beat is slowed down and it sounds like a dragging cassette tape.

Sep 4, 04 6:49 pm
rizzdizzl

you mean rapping.....like those black fellas who stand on the corner and talk fast over loud music?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but i was taken back by your ignorance. I understand that not everyone is into hip hop but i'll try to get you up to date.

underground hip hop is the anti-thesis of the mainstream. Therefore underground artists theoritically wont be seen on MTV or heard on the radio (unless its an independent station). However rappers are quick to "sell out", implying that they leave an independent label to join a huge record label. The "underground" has not emerged in the last few years but has been around since the dawn of hip hop, however since hip hop has transformed into utter crap (1997+a.d.) this has created a huge contrast between the two planes. Also not everything can be defined as mainstream or underground, as there are certain cross-overs that transcend both boundaries or even certain acts that are neither. Furthermore most of the rap on the radio is crap...rappers touching on subjects as profound and ground breaking as money, ice hoes...yada yada yada (sarcasm). While the underground acts try to be more creative and artsy they sometimes become redundant because they tend to only talk about how wak the mainstream is.

Freestyling has also been around since the birth of rap...and is not limited to the underground, but it is more common place.

Nonetheless Beats (the music rapped over) are created through a variety of means in both the underground and mainstream. Sampling is the art of taking a sample of music usualy only a few seconds long and either looping it (repeating it) chopping it, playing it backwards (missy eliot), speeding it up (check out work by kanye west and just blaze). Basically the possibilty of a sample is limitless...producers sample anything from funk, soul, jazz, doo woop, country, brazillian etc. Or producers sometimes come up with their own sample with instruments or electronic means. The drum and bass beat can also be sampled and its purpose is usually the main structure to keep the rappers rythym (ie metronome) and create a srtucture for the rest of the beat and samples used in the beat. Scratching is the act of moving the turntable back and forth while cuting the record in and out with a mixer. This is also genre in itself called turntablism.
Essentially hip hop is an ecclectic music genre that borrows aspects of different types of music to create a individualized sound that can be rapped over, scratched and mixed, and danced to. Sorry about the grammar no time to spell check i got some thai food to eat.

Sep 4, 04 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

So you were taken back by my ignorance? Apparantely that's because you have no clue what I am talking about. This is a down south type of rap. Not necessarily meaning that they are talking about bling, rims, etc. This a creative art form. You're proving your ignorance by speaking on a subject you know absolutely nothing about.

Sep 4, 04 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

wow. this is gonna get good, er funny... er. just watch this space.

Sep 4, 04 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Are you serious, or just fucking with everybody?

Sep 4, 04 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
agarch

i agree with most of what rizzdizzl says, although i dont agree 1997+ rap is crap, only that hip hop radio stations are now employing bad bad real bad radio hosts down south.

llcoolj, r kelly, snoop dog, dr. dre, ice cube did have better songs prior to 1997 though.

Sep 5, 04 12:19 am  · 
 · 
libier

you mean vanilla ice……

Sep 5, 04 2:41 am  · 
 · 
beatmeofficer

buck 65

Sep 5, 04 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
rizzdizzl

"So you were taken back by my ignorance? Apparantely that's because you have no clue what I am talking about. This is a down south type of rap. Not necessarily meaning that they are talking about bling, rims,"

I think i know more about this subject than you. You probably have only heard of the word hip hop two days ago when you accidently stopped on BET while channel surfing. Furthermore i did address what the underground is and mentioned that it is a little more artsy/creative than the mainstream. Read what i said again...i think you missed a couple things.

Also the underground is not strickly "a down south type of rap", the underground appears in every city and other countries as well. The word underground describes artists that arent as well recognized or celebrated (even though they generally have more talent) as those in the mainstream.

I really hope your being sarcastic or just trying to be difficult archchick03...most people that know the littlest thing about hip hop can clearly tell that i know my shit (to some extent) while you know nothing at all. Oh and i didnt mean to offend you by saying you're ignorant, however i understand that the all white surburbia you grew up in shelters you from such threatening cultural experiences like rapping.

Oh and one my thing.....You got served!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 5, 04 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I've heard some great underground rap - problem is though that it tends to get a little muffled by the concrete, or in other cases, the helmet and gear you have to wear when you go caving.

Sep 5, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
agarch

vanilla ice was a one hit wonder.

Sep 5, 04 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

YEEEEAAAH! OKKKKKAYYYY!

SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET. . .

sorry, there was a chappelle re-run this weekend.

Sep 6, 04 1:48 am  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

By the way Rizz I didn't grow up in white suburbia. I'm black. You should try not to make assumptions about people's races. You were wrong. Sorry.

Sep 6, 04 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
rizzdizzl

just cuz your black doesnt mean you didnt grow up in white surburbia....in my opinion your still a cracker

Sep 6, 04 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
rizzdizzl

by the way i knew you were black because of that black female architect post you started a while back...so i was not wrong...i never said you where white i just stated that you were not up to date on underground hip hop

Sep 6, 04 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

Correct. I don't listen to hip hop. Sorry I'll stick to the bling bling jewlery and spinning rims. But I do know the difference between hip hop and rap.

Sep 6, 04 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
ElTomas

ArchChick03... rizzdizzl know his shit pretty good.. please dont turn the conversation into a racial issue though.. one thing i am suprised i havent heard was examples of real hip hop.. lets see souls of mischief, blackaliscious.. jurassic 5 (sort of).. rizzdizzl sounds liek you know your shit.. southern rap is in my opinion a joke.. but if you now some good names please post on here..

Sep 9, 04 2:01 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Sensational

Dälek

Sep 9, 04 9:29 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

Sage Francis

Sep 9, 04 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

I thought you were talking about 3mil

underground wrap

=P

Sep 9, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

I didn't turn this into a racial issue. I was simply stating that I did not grow up in white suburbia.

Sep 9, 04 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: