Archinect
anchor

What do all these dimensions have in common?

Living in Gin

1'-2 41/64"
1'-0"
1'-1"
1'-2"
1'-2 23/64"
0'-11 41/256"
1'-2 77/128"
0'-11 41/64"
1'-6 31/256"
1'-3 87/128"
1'-3 113/256"
1'-3 51/256"
1'-2 23/32"

Anybody care to guess?

Oct 30, 07 3:11 pm
WonderK

Ooh ooh, let me try:

They are lengths of lines that somebody drew in an AutoCad drawing that you now have to fix?

Oct 30, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
binary

they are the lengths i get when i have to build a model base at "the other shop" and the tape measure only gets down to 1/32

Oct 30, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
n_

1'-3 113/256"

That dimension is just silly.

Oct 30, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Bzzzt... Time's up!

WonderK is closest... Each one of those dimensions is, based on our as-built drawings, the supposed thickness of the same exterior wall of a 50,000 sf building we're renovating. And yes, once again I'm playing the role of Mr. Mop-Up Man for somebody else's shitty drafting. Regardless of which firm I happen to be working for at any given time, this seems to be my designated vocation in life.

How fucking hard is it to draw two parallel lines in AutoCAD that are a consistent, nominal distance apart from each other??? Ever consider using the fucking "offset" command? ARRRGGH!!!

Oct 30, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, the 1/256 is rediculous, but 1'-0" to 1'-6" is enough of a variation to merit recording, if that is how much the wall varies by.

Oct 30, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You need to format the drawing units in the entire office autocad system to 1/8" minimum. If someone is doing a furniture detail, give them special temporary license to go to 1/16.

Sorry you have to deal with this LiG!

Oct 30, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

It's a steel-framed building built within the past 60 years, so the exterior wall shouldn't vary by that much.

Problem is, I didn't do the original survey, so I have no idea which dimensions to trust and which ones I need to modify.

Maybe I'll just set my Units to 0'-0" and pretend I never noticed anything wrong.

Oct 30, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

ah...

Oct 30, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

And we won't even talk about the layers.... Seems to be a mix of old AIA format ("ADR2"), new AIA format ("A-Wall"), and Microstation ("3").

Oct 30, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG, much as I hate to say it: I think the thing to do is take the drawing to your supervisor/boss, and ask "Exactly what level of precision is required in this document, because I don't want to waste billable hours fixing it if it's not necessary?". I know you have a review coming up, and this approach makes you look both willing enough to take on utterly ridiculous jobs that require great precision AND smart enough to realize that it might be a waste of time...

Oct 30, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

few things in life sucks more ass than having to fix somebody's bullshit drawing. I had to do the same thing to today because our CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTATION SET DIDN'T HAVE ANY LEGIBLE DIMS ON IT!!!!!!! How the fuck am i supposed to have some some guys do the framing on a new interior when we have no clue how long the walls are and the PA acted a little butthurt when i brought it to her attention.

And here I was thinking working at a design-build would make things easier.

Oct 30, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"a little butthurt" - explain, please? hat exactly were you doing to this PM?

Oct 30, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Well, she took offense at the fact that I was making changes to her drawings.

"butthurt" is very rude netspeak for "offended"

Oct 30, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm sorry I'm so vulgar its just that I'm really P'Oed at the architect side of the business atm. I work for the contractor side, but tomorrow morning i have to go save them because they lost a hard drive with our principal's portfolio on it. So I'm getting pulled away from real supervisory and construction work at the jobsite plus a bunch of other stuff to save their asses because they're too bloody poncy to do anything themselves.

Oct 30, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Seriously? I thought it was a typo of "a little bit hurt".

I'll go post this new terminology in the "What did we learn today" thread ;-)

Oct 30, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm rounding everything to the nearest inch on this drawing, right or wrong. This is just a feasibility study that's due Friday, and we've already blown our minuscule fee several times over.

If/when we ever do actual construction documents on this project, I'll insist we go back to the site and do a proper survey and draw everything correctly from the start.

Oct 30, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

good luck with that LiG, lemme know how it goes.

Oct 30, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

butthurt (n) = 1, having ones panties up in a bunch; 2, being a bit offended; 3, literally hurting in the butt region.

usage: C'mon Allison, don't get all butthurt on account of me disagreeing with marking dim's down to the 256th of an inch...seriously, no reason to get all poncy on me.

Oct 30, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

you kids are just lazy & whiny...if you're using computers and space-age CAD technology then there is really no reason why your drawings shouldn't be precise to 1/256th of an inch. at least you don't have to sharpen your pencil to get precision like in the old days...

Oct 30, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

VIF

Oct 30, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

seriously

Oct 30, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think I've found the source of the problem. These drawings were originally drawn up by a land surveyor as part of an overall site survey, using decimal feet at 1.00' precision. (No doubt measured using some sort of laser device or something). Then they were simply scaled x12, the drawing changed to architectural units, and given to me to make sense of.

This would explain why no two windows on a supposedly neoclassical building are of the same exact size.

Oct 30, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Lately when I have frustrating moments like that, I stop and think, "What would my Boss do?" (WWMBD?). He'd say, FUCKIT, WHO CARES, while turning up the music and slamming a martini. WHOO-HOO!

But then again, that's why he gets 100 page RFI's...

Oct 30, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

They all give me head aches

Oct 30, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

or, create a multiline for the idiots to use.

Oct 30, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

meta, as a man who works for a contractor, legible CDs will literally save untold amounts of money down the road.

Oct 30, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
rira

god i hate imperial, just looking at those numbers makes my head hurt

Oct 31, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm with you, rira. Down with the Imperial system.

Viva La Metric!

Oct 31, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: