Archinect
anchor

I don't wanna get my registration done and don't wanna work long hours for my job and it has nothing to do with children or family

work for idle hands

I just don't like taking tests... or my job particularly

so you know.. i though i'd throw that out there.

Oct 24, 07 12:31 pm
clamfan

Maybe you should go back to school for a while.

Oct 24, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
stevegambini

if he doesn't like taking tests, maybe school is not the answer, unless it's school for another career.....

Oct 24, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

no, i don't really wanna go to school either.. that sounds like a lot of time and trouble.

but, again, let me emphasize...that has nothing to do with children or family.

Oct 24, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

"What would you do if you had a million dollars?"
"I'd do nothing. I'd sit on my ass all day, and do nothing."

Oct 24, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
stevegambini

why does it say paper jam, when there is no paper jam?

Oct 24, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

what's the correlation between the tests/registration and the long hours? i dont wanna work long hours, but i'd be fine to get registered...

Oct 24, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

well come on doing nothing is boring also despite the comical points movies bring up.

oh..., but its not that i am unable to sit on my ass all day because of children or family getting in the way.. to reiterate.

Oct 24, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

i was in the same frame of mind as wfih for...oh...7-8 years.

something no one bothers to point out:

school costs money.
idp costs money.
transferring your file to the state board costs money.
taking the test costs money.
being/remaining registered costs money.

but...
once you're record is complete and submitted to your state and before you register to take any tests ... during that period NOTHING costs any money. < that's the sweet spot.

Oct 24, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

^^ that's not good advice, just my experience.

Oct 24, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

get a job with the government

Oct 24, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

well im steadfastedly fighting through the xams and it sucks. Its 9 months of general anxiety, on top of your work duty. I've found however that beer, in large quntities can help. Beer in large quantities on worknights should be avoided as the additional stress has turned the tolerable hangover into something much more sinister. So, in short, theres no point for any of this licensure for most folks however you came this you should get it. And drinking helps with the other stuff. Who knows, you may be at a bar downtown when you meet some bankers who need an architect and violla, your in biz.

Oct 24, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Drinking may lead to children too

Oct 24, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i was going to go home and organize my sock drawer tonight but know i'm thinking i'm afraid i might want to have children or a family at the same time, so, i don't know maybe someone can tell me if its possible to balance the two?

Oct 24, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

you know what else is 9 months of general anxiety evilp?.. human being gestation... and evidently that can really get in the way of a lot of things people want to do it would seem.

Oct 24, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i hate my job as well...you arent alone

Oct 24, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

if you are going to stay in architecture, sooner or later you'll be confronted with license issue. it better be sooner.

Oct 24, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I am slowly coming back around to "I'm not going to be a registered architect" and WOW DOES IT FEEL GOOD!

I'm going to work for me. I'm going to design things, and then actually make them. All kinds of things. It is not going to be easy, and I'm going to LOVE IT.

step one: what do you want to do?
step two: do it?
step three: PROFIT!

Oct 24, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

gestation and ARE xams are really not compareable, or are they? I wouldnt know as I am not a gester.

Oct 24, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

i'm facing a spectacular miscarriage either way.

Oct 24, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

smallpotatoes had the correct answer: government job

Oct 24, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

Do what I do, bend your arms at the elbow, make two fists and place them out in front of you, then jump up and down shouting "I WON'T, I WON'T I, WON'T...

Oct 24, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

oh, work for idle hands, I have seen worst. I have a friend who won't have children until the existence of a superior alien civilization is a proven fact.
and tumbles, I also noticed that more school had the pervert effect of increasing my cynicism, which I was trying to rid myself off in the first place.

Oct 24, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

"I have a friend who won't have children until the existence of a superior alien civilization is a proven fact"

Please expand on this topic

Oct 25, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

so why are you an architect?
get a job you like, i dont see what the problem is

Oct 25, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
4arch
I have a friend who won't have children until the existence of a superior alien civilization is a proven fact

With that attitude, his only hope of ever getting laid is with an alien.

Oct 25, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

well. it's hard to even remember, but it had something to do with religion too. more with god than religion. like, he wouldn't want to have children before he knew what happens after death, whether there is a god or no, it's hard enough that we don't know for ourselves and then have the kids go through this incertitude.... so this seemed reasonable, but then he thought that the existence of aliens would surely make the issue of god clear cut, because if they exist, they would know. right?

so I can see how maybe wfih won't get registered for a simpler reason, all of which may or may not have anything to do with children or family or god or aliens.

Oct 26, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

This may deserve its own thread

Oct 27, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wish more people would put off having children. sounds like a good reason to me.

Oct 27, 07 10:56 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

save the earth, don't give birth!

Oct 27, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

me too
practice makes perfect
kids are nice - but not everyone needs to have them.
worse no one needs to have 20 kids anymore
no offense to those that have children...there is a balance in that order.

Oct 28, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

A doctor once told me that If there's something telling you to not have children, then you probably shouldn't, nature has a way of sniffing-out genetic defects.
Not quite sure how much of that I believe.....

Oct 28, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
he wouldn't want to have children before he knew what happens after death, whether there is a god or no, it's hard enough that we don't know for ourselves and then have the kids go through this incertitude

I think it's personal opinion whether not knowing "what comes next" is hard or not. IMO, it's not: it's completely, utterly unknowable, so why worry about it at all? It's possibly the one thing we can't control, and isn't that sense of freedom beautiful?

Oct 28, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: