Archinect
anchor

Sucks to be you, Philadelphia

Living in Gin
Philadelphia has least attractive people in the U.S., survey finds

If you think they're unfriendly now, just wait until they read this article.

Oct 22, 07 7:05 pm
Antisthenes

haha glad i moved away it sucked

Oct 22, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

and they have a terrible football team!!!

Oct 22, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Brian Griese is the most attractive man alive... for a week.

Oct 22, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

keep those comments to yourself please!

Oct 22, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well if the survey had been done while I still lived there, I am certain the results would be different!

(kidding)

I love Philly and miss it terribly. And yeah the people are gruff, but once you get used to them they really tend to be incredibly generous and sweet - as long as you don't cross them! It's also an incredibly walkable city, and one of the most visually/historically/architecturally rich cities in the US in my opinion.

Oct 22, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I can't believe Philly beat out Washington DC. Now there's a shitty city.

Oct 22, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I remember they had a similar article about two years ago or possibly last year. Considering Miami won this "attractiveness" survey and they're known for plastic surgery and bikini clad women, I really don't give this survey any kind of thought. I may not have seen as many attractive people here compared to other cities in the US, but I've seen some truly beautiful people here.

Oct 22, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

hopefully people will see this survey and not move to philadelphia

because the last thing philadelphia needs is more stupid people, which is the kind of person who would really take a survey like that seriously

i will say though, we do seem to have a high amount of fat people, which makes riding the subway to work in the morning oh so pleasant

i would say we are more fat than ugly

Oct 23, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

oooh, and it says that in the article
yes, we have way too many fat people

least active, hmmmm
i dont know how tourists could gauge that
probably because if you are here visiting on a weekend, and are in center city, it is a ghost town on the weekends

Oct 23, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

I've been to Philly, and from experience, I can tell you its an effing crap hole. Never will go there again.

Go NYC!

Oct 23, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I don't know about the rest of you, but I spend all day and night surrounded by beautiful models.

Oct 23, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

the problem tourists have is they always compare it to NYC
its nothing like NYC, and there is no way it can be

why is it an effing crap hole chic?

Oct 23, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
boxy

the hottest women live in Hawaii, hands down. more diversity+24/7 sun=beautiful people.

Oct 23, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
boxy

i meant '365 days of' instead of '24/7'

Oct 23, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

The interesting thing about Philly is that, even though there are some important tourist spots, its not really a tourist town. The real charm kicks in when you live here for a long time. I've had the opposite experience with all the other places I've lived. Places like NY, I have a great time visiting, but once I stay there long term, the city loses its charm.

As for the obesity issue... This place is known for cheesesteaks and hoagies for cryin out loud. What do you expect?

Oct 23, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

24/7 would make it tough to sleep.

philly seems like a nice enough city..but it does seem to have
trouble with comparing itself to new york. or at least getting
compared to new york. seems as though it should be compared
to boston.

i agree with whomever talked about d.c. a friend of mine came
back to nyc after being there all summer and said that he's seen
more beautiful women walking from the subway to the apartment
than he's seen all summer.

Oct 23, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

of course i can't imagine philly beating out a place like say...
river city, south dakota...

Oct 23, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Really, "chic", how recently were you there?

And yeah, don't compare any city to NYC, Rome, or Tokyo. Nothing is like those places.

Also, note that the survey was done by tourists, who go to the places tourists go, which means the only people they were seeing was OTHER TOURISTS! And every tourist is ugly, all of us included.

Linda Fiorentino is from Philly. She's effing hot.

Also, my favorite Philly story: Go Maria Goretti girls!

Oct 23, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

if i went to philly and all i saw was pat's and geno's, and maybe the liberty bell, i would think it was lame as well

but its pretty obvious chic, that you cant compare it to NYC, and if you spend 5 minutes in philly, you will realize that
just like when you go to boston, it clearly isnt NYC

Oct 23, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Can you imagine if every city was like NYC?

Oct 23, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 

fat? let me tell you when i go back home EVERYONE looks fat, don't matter where i am in north america. no city in the usa or canada, and recently even europe can point fingers about who is fat.

ugly? who cares? it isn't like its friggin lebanon or baghdad for heck sake, where real human ugliness (violence and hatred) i on display too often. someone is eating too many twinkies if all they can come up with is how people look when the world has so many real problems to deal with...

funny article lb.

Oct 23, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 

i don't know how scientific this is, but i've made the observation that - for myself, in different situations, places, and among different populations - my assessment of attractiveness changes.

Oct 23, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

They don't eat Twinkies in Philly; they eat Tasty Kakes.

I lived in Philly for 1.5 years, and I actually liked it. Yeah, some parts of the city are hellholes... Think Detroit on a bad day. But the downtown area is great, there are some absolutely beautiful parks and residential neighborhoods (Fairmount Park, anybody?).

The biggest problem I see with Philly is the city's own loser's mentality... Chicago is called the "Second City", but Philly has a second-city chip on its shoulder the size of Texas. They have the potential to become like the Seattle of the Northeast, but they need to change their mentality before anything like that will happen.

A few years ago the city was looking for a new slogan, and the Philadelphia Inquirer suggested: "Philadelphia: It's really not as bad as we say it is."

Oct 23, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i've been in philly for almost 2 years now and i really like it
i have never been a big city person, so living in a city the size of nyc was out of the question
but i own my own little rowhouse, and live in a neighborhood that is kind of like brooklyn, so you arent in the middle of everything, but still close enough to be living in the city

some parts are crappy, but every city has crappy parts. you just dont go there, its not hard to avoid them
nyc has bad parts, people always tend to overlook that

since i have been here, i dont understand where this second city chip has come from. it must be just the proximity to nyc. its a shame, because its all the reasons that philly is different from nyc that make it so great in my opinion
most people i know who live in philly, live there and like it because they dont want to live in a big city like nyc. so why have the complex about it, i dont get that

Oct 23, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

The article notes that the survey polled visitors and residents both, so the arguments that this is the bias of tourists who have only seen the tourist traps over the weekend are incorrect.

Oct 23, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

as goes the democracy goes it's founding city

welcome to a new day with a gutted constitution

Oct 23, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

what do you mean anti?
that philly is worse than it used to be?

Oct 23, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

you think philadelphians are gruff?? try moving to NYC...makes philly seem like it oozes of southern hospitality by comparison....i miss philly!

Oct 23, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

The Norsk in Duluth....say it is hard to tell the women from the men there cause their always wearing those bulky sweaters....except on the 4th of July.

Oct 23, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

the 4th of July rocks in philly
fat ugly people and all

Oct 23, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Apu's guide to Beautiful women cities:

1.Montreal
2.Shanghai
3.New York
4.Sydney

I've been to alot more cities but these are the ones that rank the highest that I have been to IMO.

Oct 23, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i think people need to take these types of polls for what they are
its not the absolute truth, but it is probably based in some fact as well

lets face it
if there actually was a way to prove what city had the most attractive people, we would all move there and it would be overrun by slobs and ugly people

Oct 23, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
binary

detroit was ranked the fatest/obese city....

can you say "soul food"......

Oct 23, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm really good looking, and i don't even live in a city

Oct 23, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

"Philadelphia just isn't me anymore, so I'm moving to New York!"

Oct 23, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Who comes up with this shit?

Oct 23, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

what i mean marmkid is that Philly is where the constitution started and with it's gutting by the bush administration (cooperate mismanaged government) so fails this city

Oct 23, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

not wanting to turn this into a political discussion or anything, but i dont see how that is relevant to the city today
one stupid administration doesnt change what happened all those years ago, and nothing about the city today really screams todays government
you can go see things from a couple hundred years ago, and that is really it concerning politics
philadelphia doesnt stand for the government, that is kind of what washington d.c. is for
it may not be quite a draw for people due to todays government, but that doesnt mean the city is failing
more than anything, the city has been improving drastically

Oct 23, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ya it is more symbolic

that the place it started fails as the larger city itself is depopulating.

maybe i come back and see, and skate the place i learned Love Park

I would be surprised if it is anything near what i am part of here in Phoenix

Oct 24, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

what are you part of in Phoenix?
i have heard that is a great place to live

i still dont understand why philly is failing, but whatever

Oct 24, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

bad weather? i never did like the weather in philly, imagine walking into the wind of frozen icey air in winter. I would way prefer the record breaking 30+ days over 110degrees

i am downtown in the middle of the 9 billion dollar development / construction

the art and culture here is great

Oct 24, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

oh, i thought there was some reason why the city itself was failing, something connected to your government symbolism
saying a city is failing, implies the city itself is doing something wrong
i dont know what can be done about a city's weather, maybe phoenix can share its secret?

weather in philly is similar to nyc and probably a little better than in chicago, at least in the winter

i'd actually prefer a city without walking into frozen ice and also without 30+ days over 110 degrees
where is this magical city, i want to go there

i have never been to phoenix but would love to some day

there is a ton of new development in philly as well, i can count at least 4 large skyscraper projects under construction right now with a bunch more scheduled to start soon
i think its a record for the city, which is pretty cool to see since i work right across from city hall and can see a lot of it

Oct 24, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I like Philly - I've been lost there trying to find my sister's house. Took the wrong exit from some interstate with the worst traffic signage outside of DC Ive ever seen. I was surprised how rural and beutiful the surrounding countryside is.

Anyways, bad blows continue. Sports Illustrated rated philly #1 in most struggling to win a championship poll. Guesss they cant catch a break. I will say, besides LB who is super nice, most people Ive met from Philly are total snobs.

Oct 25, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: