Archinect
anchor

Prospect-Refuge Theory

|l

What can you say about this theory in the experience of landscape. Where it is achieved through symbolism, manner and intensity of objects, spatial arrangement, equilibrium, and the use of light.

The unobstructed opportunity to see is the one called the prospect. and refuge is the opportunity to hide.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 15, 07 5:14 am
liberty bell

I've never heard of this theory. Can you post some links or examples or just explain what it is? Because all I can picture at the moment are hahas and I doubt that's what you mean!

Oct 15, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 

saw a presentation this weekend on children's health and building and the speaker described a phenomena of 'architectural depth' used in psychological analysis.

in a nutshell, there is a value in having more spaces to pass through between public and private in a residential environment, making the child feel more protected and more able to be 'in private'. without this ability to separate, children build up psychological barriers to isolate themselves from their sensory/social environments.

makes modern spatial openness seem sort of an issue, maybe? i don't know. she was specifically referring to public housing and the inability for children to get away by themselves in such a close-packed environment.

you could probably find her way of describing it, which would be much better than mine: nancy wells, phd, dept of design and environmental analysis, cornell.

Oct 15, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Summary of Appleton's Prospect-Refuge Theory

Prospect-refuge theory tries to explain aesthetic response to landscape in terms of an instinctual impulse towards places of oversight or hiding. In my view it is too simple to account for the complex way in which we use landscape. It relates specifically to a particular Romantic experience of landscape.

Oct 15, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've never once thought of landscape as a place to hide. When walking through the city, however, that's a pretty significant portion of my experience (and I say this as someone who loves the city).

Oct 15, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

isn't that how central park is designed?

Oct 15, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

A logical exemplar is F.L.W.

Oct 15, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: