Archinect
anchor

telling it how it is

mdler
Living in Gin

Wow.... I liked Gluck's work before, and I like it even more now. (I sent them a resume when I moved here this summer, but never heard from them.)

Oct 11, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

lig...damn he missed a good one!

Oct 11, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
stevegambini

What are other offices that do work similar to him?

Oct 11, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Totally agree!

Oct 11, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I've been very happy with the quality of metropolis recently, that was a particularly good article too.

Oct 11, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

if you see this peter, call me.

danke.

Oct 11, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

can i nominate him to be God, or at least leader of the Revolution?

Oct 11, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

I think that there are others doing design / build but I like the fact he has made the statement implicitly through his articulation of the design build process as it relates to socially relavent projects. His commentary on the trade specific drawings, and understanding of what dimensions are relavent and those that don't mean shit is of particular interest as I see poor dimension strings all the time. It drives me mad and I can just imagine the frustration of a builder simply trying to find a simple corner.

Oct 12, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
mdler

the only people who look at dimensions are the concrete, steel, and framing guys

Oct 12, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I like this guy.

My architectural education is just getting underway, but I've started to understand, at a very very basic level, how the designing and building procedure happens. It's pretty fucked up, if you ask me. Needlessly complicated.

I have a degree and some experience working in industrial design. I think the field of architecture could learn a lot from how other types of designers approach fabrication, etc. A perfect example of this is included in the article above: the contractor was having a hard time figuring out how to cut some metal, so the designers built a saw to facilitate the cutting. Saved a hundred thousand dollars, just by simply stepping out of the architecture shoes, and into the shoes of an actual, honest-to-goodness DESIGNER.

Older generations of people would know what I'm talking about. If you don't have the resources to do what you want to do, then you figure out how to do it anyway. You'll learn something along the way, at the very least.

I like this guy.

Oct 12, 07 2:54 am  · 
 · 
binary

get your feet wet and some bloody knuckles.......

Oct 12, 07 3:05 am  · 
 · 
ether

While I enjoyed the article (thanks mdler) did anyone else find it a bit unnerving that mentioned withing was the 20,000 square foot residence in upstate NY? Maybe this is a whole seperate issue or maybe I'm just being naive? I just find it a bit disconcerting to advertise social activism and agree to design and build a 20,000 residence (even if you are burying it in the ground to "reduce its environmental impact and energy consumption"). Maybe I'm being too critical and not gleening the good from the article?

Oct 12, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
ether

I should say preach social activism.

Oct 12, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ether, by selling his soul a little bit to build houses like that, he's able to do alot for those who are less well-heeled.

Oct 12, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
AP
3 weeks ago

i have a couple good friends that work there...as young employees they are given a great deal of opportunity and responsibility. he pays them very competitively and they enjoy and learn a great deal from the projects that they work on. i only say this to demonstrate that he isn't just some guy talking shit in a magazine article, but that he practices what he preaches.

FOG, i agree, Metropolis has been great lately. this issue had a few really good articles.

Oct 12, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I wonder how many CVs he got after that article...

Oct 12, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

His office is like a refugee camp for the disillusioned and downtrodden...

Oct 12, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
emaze

Aspen is an exorbitantly expensive city to build in. The article doesn’t fully address the capitalistic nature of the building and makes it seem like this is a completely altruistic project

Oct 12, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
emaze

it still kicks ass though...

Oct 12, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Not that dimensions are important to the concrete , steel and framing guys come on tell the finishing guys who come in a year later to hid all the mistakes that!

I think overall he taken the Roberta Redford approach.... make some dumb movies make some good coin then turn around and blow your brains out trying to do something socially relavent. Not sure how successful that is over the long run but one does get a bit jaded over time and it does allow a certain freedom of expression, and challenge that the other work does not. I can see how one could be enticed by the prospect of taking on projects in that fashion, if just not for the delivery process alone.. I like working with trades myself and learn a ton everytime I build a project.

Oct 12, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

A refugee camp for the disillusioned and downtrodden? Sounds like I'd fit right in.

Oct 12, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

thinking this back some, does anyone else find it ironic that this project was previously recognized here? (scroll down)

Oct 16, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, a little actually.

Oct 16, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

not to mention they got the location wrong

Oct 16, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

you mean that isn't central park in the background?!

Oct 16, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

the paragraph about how the drawings are organized -- alone -- justified the 15 minutes i spent reading this article

Oct 16, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
joe

that guy fucking rocks.

Oct 16, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

only if we were all schmuck like gluck

Oct 16, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: