Archinect
anchor

perfect Milwaukee hotel...

psteiner

Going to Milwaukee for Thanksgiving weekend for first time ever - going to be a sightseeing tourist with boyfriend. Looking for the perfect funky/unique hotel - with a reasonable price. Something along the lines of the Tabard Inn in Washington D.C. ~ such a thing exist in Milwaukee?

thanks for any suggestions

Oct 9, 07 10:13 am
stevegambini

no, it's milwaukee.

Oct 9, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
obelix

I suggest this place.

Oct 9, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

the pfister is you've got $$$

Oct 9, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Too lazy to embed the links - stayed at both of these....but they are not edgy...close to where you want to be.
http://www.theastorhotel.com/
http://www.knickerbockeronthelake.com/

Oct 9, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i stayed at the astor once. while not posh, it is memorable - like something out of a coen brothers film, and it does have a good location.

Oct 9, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

milwaukee is a great place, if you know where to look. i don't know much about edgy hotels though. i don't think there really are any.

the pfister is very posh. the newly rebranded hotel intercontinental is apparently somewhat posh too. the hilton downtown is not a good hilton.

the more locally oriented, newer, and slightly more trendy one that all of the distinguished guests have been staying in lately is the hotel metro. so that's my recommendation.

the astor and the knickerbocker are probably fine too if you're on more of a budget.

oh one more interesting hotel is the ambassador, about 1 mile west of downtown, by marquette university, not the safest / most interesting area of town, but its a cool old art-deco building that has recently been immaculately renovated.

milwaukee's strength lies not in its hotels...i could talk about its strengths if you want me to.

Oct 9, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Rottnme

Stay within walking distance of Water Street, bring your drinking shoes and you WILL have a good time.

Oct 9, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Not sure if they are still there, but the Astor hotel has/had these strange Doors that were like a foot thick, and they were hollow with a hanger rod built-in. You would open from the room side and hang your dirty laundry, and someone would come-by on the hall side, clean your clothes, and re-hang them in the door/box where you would find them in the morning. I don't think they still offer that service.

Oct 9, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

I was going to suggest the Knickerbocker, it's close to the east side, and that's where you wanna be. Go to Vittuci's for me.

Oct 9, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

and then to paddy's if its still warm out.

Oct 9, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Breakfast at "The Knick" is good, too.

Oct 9, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

get a drink at AT RANDOM in bayview, it's a cultural oddity...

Oct 9, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

The ambassador is hip. You will have to cab it to all the cool places though. The Metro is also cool.

Check out this place however.
County Clare

Walk to Brady and Water st, the MAM and the lakefront. Great Location.

Don't miss the beer tour at lakefront brewery. And make sure you Close Wolski's.

Oh and bring your blaze orange 'cause it'll be huntin' season and Bret Fav-Rah and the Pack will be sackin' themselves a few Lions.

Oct 10, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I stayed in the Knickerbocker in about 1994, and it was very fun and not expensive. My friend and I had a delicious dinner downstairs, with lots of wine, and got to talking about sex in somewhat too-loud voices. Then the next day we went to the Agnes Martin show at the the Art Museum.

Oct 10, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the knickerbocker does that to people lb.

Oct 10, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

lb

please elaborate on the discussions you had in '94

Oct 10, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I have a Milwaukee Art Museum / Knickerbocker connection, too, although I missed you by 2 years, liberty bell. In 1996, I took an "Art of Architecture" sketching course sponsored by the Milwaukee Art Museum. Every Saturday, our instructor took us sketching on the East Side of Milwaukee. One day we stopped at the Knickerbocker cafe for a snack. I got a muffin. Delicious.

I second the suggestions above. The Astor, Knickerbocker, and Country Claire are all in a great location. I'm not sure if there are any hotels in the Third Ward, but that would be a great place to stay, too. The Metro also looks nice; it's more central to downtown.

Oct 10, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

thanks for all the suggestions - helps much

Oct 10, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

Many moons ago, I honeymooned (yep, honeymoon in Milwaukee!) at the County Clare - it was fantastic. The Metro is definitely cool, too.

Oct 11, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

My brother was in Milwaukee this past weekend. Someone broke into his company car and tore apart the steering column in a futile attempt to steal it. Earlier this year someone broke in, again in Milwaukee, and stole his i-pass.

Oct 29, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDm0zUD3DlA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yDm0zUD3DlA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oct 29, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkJJpgeLTBU
Oct 29, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Yeah, that town has problems.

Oct 29, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Aqua...the iPass is track-able, and whoever using can be easily busted.

Oct 29, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: