Archinect
anchor

First review of the year tomorrow.

bowling_ball

I feel confident: my work's good, and I have a game plan for what I'm going to say (roughly). I've pinned everything up already.

Any pointers? I'm drinking a beer so I can get a good night's sleep before the morning review. Wish me luck!

Sep 30, 07 11:51 pm
Apurimac

sleep before review? My god, I think I've only done that twice. Good luck slant, Godspeed!

Sep 30, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

practice your presentation and/or write a script

Sep 30, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

yeah, it's great that you are getting sleep. I've seen a lot of people choke because they had stayed up all night. And I myself was an unsuspecting victim of that once.

As for how to handle it, just make sure you say everything that needs to be said, don't babble on about nothing, and don't get defenseive if they say anything that isn't to your liking. Just be in general concent and agreement with some of the shit they say. should be just fine.

Sep 30, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, it's always awesome when a presenter passes out and hits the floor mid-presentation.

Oct 1, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Listen to the critics. It's not a sales job, its a learning experience. In my experience, critics are almost always more helpful that many students give them credit for.

Oct 1, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
med.

Here are some more do's and dont's:

Donts
-Never begin your crit with an appology
-Never talk about what's not pinned up.
- Don't beat around the bush. Just get to the point and tell them what it is that you're doing.
-Don't kiss their asses.
- Don't get defensive if they rip on your project.
- Don't put too much of yourself in the project -- letting go (not giving up) is always an option.

Dos
-Laugh at their stupid jokes even if they aren't funny
-Tell them that you will read their irrelavent poetry or literature that they will suggest.
- Insinuate that you know of the architect/architecture that they refer you to even if you don't know.
- talk about the work, not about your presentation decisions
- Pin up the night before and or much earlier than the actual presentation.
-have someone take notes for you
- Say things like "good question", "I unerstand", "I actually did think about that" (even if you didn't), and "I will."

If you get slammed. It's jut because they love you! Remember that.

Oct 1, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

also, try only to speak about what is on the board, nothing annoys a critic (or instructor) more than someone talking about something that isn't there.

· 
rehiggins

damn I was too slow

· 
rehiggins

be honest, sometimes critics ask leading/trick questions (or make things up) to catch you in a lie; don't say you know something that you don't know

Oct 1, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

and don't forget to have a good laugh...

"When a critic hands you a negative critcism..."

blowfish

my fave is #1478: legal drama
Have a colleague stand up and yell, "Objection!" after which another colleague must say sternly, "Sustained." Feel free to look smug.

Oct 1, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Definitely fix on the blowfish methodology. Leaf through your sketchbook and then look up and say, "I'm sorry, that's not in the script. What page are you on?" If that doesn't work, Re-enact DeNiro's famous mirror scene until the critic backs down in fear.

Oct 1, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

A couple of confessions:

1) I've been through several crits during my undergrad (industrial design). Those could be really harsh, but I've heard that architecture has an especially bad reputation in this regard. In ID, a critter might ask you a question such as "what about XXX?" when it's obvious you haven't thought of that, but a lot of it is also more objective ("do you really think that those buttons are big enough for my thick fingers?")

So far, I'm REALLY digging the different approach to process in architecture. ID was results-driven, whereas the approach of my current faculty is to put emphasis on DOING rather than necessarily thinking every single point through to its conclusion.

Ok.

2) I've been pinned up since Saturday afternoon. Yes, I was the first. I'm presenting directly after the only two senior-level M.Arch students in our studio. I think my prof expects big things about me, but she also knows that I have experience with crits.

I pulled 2 near-all-nighters on Thursday and Friday nights, so that I wouldn't have to tonight.

ANYWHO, I will take all this advice to heart. I know not to take things personally. I'm aware of the game they're trying to play... my studio prof knows her shit inside and out.

I've now made an outline (and text, which I won't read) for my presentation. Glad I did that. This review is supposed to show our progress, our process, and where we're headed for the next 4 weeks. I have answers to all those questions.

Cheers, and THANKS for the encouragement and suggestions. I've said enough!

Oct 1, 07 12:56 am  · 
 · 
obelix

A juried crit on a Monday? That sucks. Better if it's on a Thursday or Friday so you get the weekend after off.

Oct 1, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 
grid

Don't agree with them if you don't agree. Know everything about your project. If you don't know - feel free to say you haven't resolved that portion. Have fun. A good argument is healthy.

Oct 1, 07 2:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

whats the big deal? i say. in retrospect there is nothing to be nervous about. you put your stuff up there. make some notes, make a list and give it to the critters. leave some space for them to comment on it, if you really care. have fun. and if they don't like it, fuck em. they aren't important. (unless, they're hiring, and i don't mean for free hiring.)

Oct 1, 07 7:36 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I often had a friend of mine take notes during my crits, because it's hard to remember everything that is said while you are actually standing up there in the bright lights. Then I would take notes on my friend's crit, and afterward we would trade. It is really, really helpful to have lucid notes to refer to after, especially if you haven't slept much the night before (good for you getting rested, slantsix!).

Oct 1, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

in this day and age the university should have a camera in which to videotape the crits. doncha think? yes that s what i think.

Oct 1, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
philipb

I find it odd that people are advising to not defend your project against comments made by critics. Half the fun (imo) is assesing a critic just as they are assessing you.

At times criticism is very superficial, both in that you dont necessarily understand the full depth of their statements and perhaps the critics dont understand the full depth of what they are commenting on. Having a good two way dialouge means both parties are much more engaged.

Being able to defend (rather than just excuse) certain points of your project is key. But definently pick your battles, and dont be rude :p

Maybe thats just me though, what do you think? Where do you draw the line in arguing/debating/discussing with your critics?

Oct 1, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I agree about the dialog and encourage it, though sometimes it's hard to take constructive criticism when you've worked so hard and believe that you are "right". It's tough and unfortunately it's not a skill that can really be taught. Sometimes it's hard not to take things that critics say personally. I was always told that you shouldn't view your work as "personal" which I took to mean something akin to a piece of art that you've poured your soul into; but working the hours that we do and expending as much energy on projects as we do--how can our work NOT hold some special meaning to us?

Oct 1, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

ulterior

imo "being defensive" and defending are two different things
i don't think anyone here was arguing for people not to defend
their projects...just to be able to accept criticism without
taking it personally

Oct 1, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah the star wars guy is right. Defending and being defensive are two completely different things.

Oct 1, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

don't forget to wear shoes.

Oct 1, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Okay okay.

So it happened. I didn't get nervous until about 10 minutes beforehand. Tried going over my notes again and again, but drawing a blank.

So I winged it, for the most part. I knew what I was talking about, and that showed - but my nervousness manifests as forgetting random, everyday words. So that happened once or twice.

I handed out a graphic booklet which roughly outlined one aspect of my project, and the guest critic, the head of the department, said aloud that it was "ingenious." Which is hilarious because I added it at the last minute, simply as filler, and I know that crits like audience participation.

As a result, I got some good advice and a different direction, which was my original direction anyway, before my prof steered me away from that.

Hopefully I'm not so nervous next time. On the other hand, I'm glad I got it over and done with early on, rather than being near the end.

Oct 1, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
grid

congrats - don't let your teacher mislead you again. Take all the advice and FILTER it. your project will always be better if you are passionate about it.

Oct 1, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: