Archinect
anchor

continuing on the architetcural cliches discussion, I am sick of architects as cliches themselves, including myself

bleu

I am sick of architects taking their professions so seriously and making hanging around the studio until the wee hours a virtue,
I am sick of project architects, project managers, project team leaders(sic)
I am sick of architects who spend days beautifying a image, just an image....
I am sick of architects building in foreign countries while bad mouthing it as a "3d world nation" secretly.
I am sick of architects with no other interests but architecture, like music, fiction, movies do not exist.

I have never met a more self assured, self involved, narrow minded lot.
I think all architects should spend time with people who are remotely connected with architecture for some time to realise there is more to life than one's "profession".

Sep 23, 07 12:26 pm

man, that's alot angst going on there.
i dunno who you are hanging out with, but nearly all of friends are architects and we're the most fun-loving dudes i've ever met.

Sep 23, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, I don't know who you're describing there. Your stereotyping kinda runs a gamut similar to "All black people like fried chicken."

...Like nobody else does? I love fried chicken!

Sep 23, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I would agree that many architects are extremely egotistical. Maybe it's a requirement for success; after all, to be persuasive you need to be convinced that your design is better than all the others.

Sep 23, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Architecture is about having a house put up, without you ever been at the place without moving a brick have someone else doing it for you , lazy in fact, but then those who put up the house proberly know so allready, why shuld that caurse any trouble is it that difficult to use a computer ?

Sep 23, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Apurimac - everybody loves fried chicken! Black whithe Puerto Rican it dont matter we all be freak'n.

Bleu - I see where your going but dealing with architects is one of the pitfalls of this profesion. Feel strongly about it but be silent about it until your in a position to be the architect.

Sep 23, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Per - computers just aren't as reliable as a human is...thats a fact!
and architecture is definatly not about houses...its about creating a compfortable space in which the world can live in.

I have been recently shedding my architectural magnetic force and culturing myself to other parts of the world that I have recently relized existed, such as live music, the left coast, becoming a food critic...and a beer critic...but I have always been that person. In the end I still find myself touching every material that i see wondering weather I could use it in a design of mine. Still ride my bike...always will. I also pride myself on taking public transportation and I think I have to considering my thesis project and the state of the world. Still wear my solar powered backpack...and will till it falls apart. And I always have my architectural connections back in NY.

But the biggest cliche of them all...THIS WEBSITE...lately I have found myself wandering to non-architecture related websites...break the chain...see what else the world has to offer!!!

Sep 25, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I do try to recognize my close-mindedness, which is often, and break away from it. There, mmm-k?

Sep 25, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: